Author Topic: A History Lesson Re: Gynecomastia  (Read 8044 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Not long ago someone questioned why a man my age was to be found on these pages and wondered if surgery didn't work in my case.

I was born in 1937, the medical wonder of that time was x-ray.

1940's WWII, Penicillin was the new wonder drug. Plastic/Reconstructive surgery made giant leaps as a result of dealing with the war casualties but only dealt with reconstruction.  By 1949, I was 12yrs and had Gynecomastia.

1950's Advances were made in nasal surgery, I turned 20.

1960's  The computors developed in WWII and improved since then are coupled with x-ray producing the first CT Scans.  Dr. Richard C Webster originated the term "Cosmetic Surgery" and advocated the adoption of it as a Specialty. I was now 30 years old.

1970's Doctors, with military experience, coupled sonar to a computer and produced the first ultra-sound. The first liposuction was invented in Rome. I celebrated my 40th Birthday.

1980's The FIRST certifying examination for a Cosmetic Surgeon and the FIRST publication of a Journal Of Cosmetic Surgery. Liposuction, though still regarded as experimental, finally made it to the U.S.  The FIRST MRI was developed and I had my 50th birthday.

The surgery that many people now seek to satisfy their self image did not exist until the 1990's.  We simply had to learn to cope with life as we were.  

I've lived with it a long time, and I have learned a bit about coping with gynecomastia. Which is why I am here.  If you are seeking a surgical resolution, I offer support but cannot advise.  If you are trying to cope, perhaps I can be of help.

If I had the price of surgery in my hands, I'd probably use it as a down payment on a Sailboat. You may have different priorities but that's OK.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:53:57 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline Cuttin Headz

• Silver Member
  • The Person Formerly Known As Bubby_the_Tour_ G
yo pops, how long you have gyne? IF your that old, i cant imagine me living that long to tell the story
Fatal Flying Guillotine providing free surgery for people with Gynecomastia, just ask Dr. Ti Tu Fat

Offline vaio

• Gyne free, is the way to be!
At your age, gynecomastia would be the least of my worries.
$2,800 = Freedom!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/album?.dir=7e36&.src=ph&am p;store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vaiomanfree/my_photos

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Bodybuilder,

The point is that someone asked.

Vaio,

You are quite correct, gynecomastia is no longer something that I particularly care about for myself. But of the many people who have it there are some who are not good surgical candidates and there are also some who have various other reasons for not having surgery. Those people also visit here looking for a means to cope with their situation.

Bubby,

Do the math, I've had it since 1949. That makes 55 years.  Young men with concerns about this condition now will probably have a life expectancy of nearly 100 years if not more.  Take good care of that body, you may have to use it for a very long time.

Offline Cuttin Headz

• Silver Member
damn 55 years is longer than even my own parents have lived. trouble is, how were you able to cope with it for that long? didn't you ever feel like chopping them off with a guillotine when you was a youth? Had you ever became depressed? did ya find the love of your life?

If i was you in those days, i don't know what id do. i'd probably literally chop them off and then end up with a severe infection, bleed to death, or end up with even bigger boobs as the result of swelling and have to use skin grafts. But now that we have plastic surgery, i'm savin up from working at Chuck E. Cheeses ( i actually have to wear that godd**n rat suit, but at least i get pay, hey hey hey :D)

kind of like what i posted before for another thread, but a bit different, Cosmetic surgery is the apogee of all surgery- or something.

JUST as a side note, how come users like cruz and blatino in the Photos section of the forum are getting their jollies off of man titts? they both say shit like "LOVE TO SUCK THOSE BIG B*TCH T*TS!" why arent they banned yet?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:23:34 PM by Bubby_the_Tour_G »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Bubby,

The answer is that there was no choice but to cope with them. The alternatives available today did not exist then.  

They have not stopped me from doing anything, Though when I was younger my Attitude about them did.  The key is to not let your sense of self worth be decided by something over which you have no control.

Yes. I found my sweetheart, We have 8 children and 19 grandchildren. All three of my sons, my stepson and two of my sons-in-law have gynecomastia.  Likewise both of my brothers. It really is much more normal than you might think and it does sometimes run in families.

As for the perverts, I think the best thing is to simply ignor them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:00:08 PM by Paa_Paw »

Gine2D

Paa,

the responses to your excellent post say it all.

G

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Paa - your views on gyne are far more mature than what we've seen here.  Great job. Sounds like you have a lot of family who has it too.  How are your kids dealing with it?

Offline Spleen

Thanks Paa.  I think you really have a lot to offer here.  Most of the guys here are very young and your experience is valuable in adding perspective on how one might deal with gynecomastia.  It's hardly the kiss of death.  I'm 36 and while I haven't like the way my chest looks and have been teased for the past 20+ years, I never let it get me down mentally or let it keep me from doing anything I wanted to do.  I had to learn not to care about it and to be self-confident.  It doesn't always come naturally.  I was a shy little pushover as a kid and had to work hard to develop self-confidence and a thicker skin.

That said, I'm still gonna have the surgery, lol.  I can afford it so why not?  For many of the guys here it might be good to consider that while you may not like gynecomastia and be eager to get rid of it, you don't have to let it mess with your head either.

Offline Cuttin Headz

• Silver Member
damn, 8 kids? all 3 have gyne? did like 5 of them die or something? or maybe some of them have like 2 heads in one body? just shittin' ya  8) 8)

true about the pervs. they are random and spontaneous at times. but it would be nice to implant glandular tissue into them, see how they like it

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Gine2D,  jc71,  and Spleen;

Thanks for the kind words, I have a high regard for you guys too.  

Bubby,

Three sons and one stepson = 4

The other four are daughters, Two of them are married to men who have gynecomastia.

My grandsons are just coming to puberty but two already show some breast development.

jc71,

When I was growing up the men in the family kept themselves hid all the time so naturally I thought I was the only one with the condition for a long time and my self image suffered as a result.  With the help of my sweetheart, we have been much more open raising our family and the kids adapted well.  My stepson hosted a party at his home recently, He has a pool and he declared the pool top free for all.  That is to say it was free choice as to whether anyone wore a top, male or female. amongst ourselves, we have nothing to hide. Not all went bare-chested.  It was optional after all.

Two of the girls joined in for the simple reason that they were breastfeeding and it simplified things for them. Onewas a daughter and the other was a daughter in law.

There is a good site which promotes breastfeeding and is an information source for developing girls. It has a gallery of normal breasts depicted in a very healthy way.  The last two pictures are men.

you can look them up at:      007b

or:                                        007breast
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:13:20 PM by Paa_Paw »

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Paa - Your history lesson makes me wonder what medical and technological advances we'll make in the future that today we see as next to impossible.  Good thread. Gives hope of a promising tomorrow.

Bubby - implant gland tissue into them.  That's actually pretty damn funny.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:08:03 PM by jc71 »

Offline Cuttin Headz

• Silver Member
true jc, ive got another idea, when they make fun of your boobs, invite them over for breakfast, prepare them scrambled eggs, and swap the scrambled eggs for GLAND TISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111 No, please dont do that!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As to what the future brings, perhaps this will put it into perspective.

I do not recall where I heard this, but it was many years ago.

"If all the medical and scientific knowlege accumulated in the world up to 1900 is considered as a starting point.  It was doubled by 1950.  It doubled again by 1960. Currently, information is out of date often before it is possible to have it published."

Or lets try this one:

"Of the most commonly prescribed medications in use today, 80% did not exist 20 years ago."

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
that's a great post, dan.  nothing like keeping things in perspective.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024