Author Topic: Questions for surgeons  (Read 1401 times)

Offline hello84

• Posting Member
I am 6ft 175lbs with little fat on my body and puffy nipples.

In what cases are craters most likely formed after surgery and what do surgeons generally do to prevent that from happening. Should lipo always be done with this type of procedure even if there is little to no fat in the breast area?

Also, how do you know how much gland to take out? Is it had if a surgeon takes all of the gland out?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I am not a Doctor or other Medical Professional. Even so, I do have opinions about such things.

Crater deformities are the result of too much tissue being removed. Most commonly this is because the Doctor is not a Cosmetic Surgeon who lacks the combination of artistic and technical training needed.

Remember that a Cosmetic Surgeon is both a highly specialized Surgeon and also a sculptor.

Select your surgeon with care then put your trust in them. It would be unwise to handicap your surgeon by imposing any restrictions in advance. Let the surgeon have sufficient leeway to alter their approach along the way if needed.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Surgical treatment of puffy nipples only (on a slender body) might appear easy....it is not!!

Surgery is directed to removing the excess tissue just below the areola -- but an experienced hand is needed to know just how much to remove and how much to keep in order to prevent cratering.  Also, some amount of peripheral skin undermining is needed to allow the skin and areola to re-distribute, otherwise the areolar skin will remain constricted and then scar tissue will form, leading to an apparent recurrence of the puffy nipples.

I frequently remove most or all of the gland tissue but then I reconstruct the defect with adjacent fat flaps to prevent cratering.  All of this is done through a small peri-areolar incision.

These are not simple operations and both the patient and the surgeon should not be cavalier in their approach to the planned procedure.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024