Author Topic: new to canada, have a few questions regarding surgery  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Timmy31

• Posting Member
Hey guys, I currently live in the US and I also live with gynecomastia. I was planning to have surgery
done by -, and so saved up the 6,000 for the surgery. At the same time I'm
in the process of looking for a school to attend and Toronto is at the top of my list of places to move.
I know that you have a couple of Doc's in Toronto that have good reps and so my question is, being
considered a foriegn to toronto will I be able to get surgery done there? or do I have to live there a certain
amount of time to be considered a citizen before I can recieve any benefits? Also, how does health
insurance work there? and how does that coincide with gynecomastia surgery?  Also I know that money
value is different there, and so with me having 6,000 saved up already for this surgery, If I went with
Dr. Fielding for around 1,500, would I be saving 4,500 or would 1,500 in canadian money be closer to 6,000
in american money? sorry for all the questions. Any input would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:14:45 AM by cleanup »

Offline mtl123

• Posting Member
As an international student you will be obliged to buy local insurance (usually you pay this to the university who has a group plan for all international students). After that call Fielding (or any other surgeon) and see if you qualify as a canadian. For the moment $1US = $1.08CAD so you will gain about 8% in your money value.

Offline loman1

• Posting Member
its unlikely that the private insurance you purchase thru the university will allow you to get a "cosmetic" surgery.  Not sure about Ontario's rules but in BC you have to be at least a landed immigrant to qualify for coverage under the Medical Services Plan. I'm assuming similar rules apply in Ontario. 

However, you say you've got $6,000 saved up already for the surgery. You could go to Fielding and you easily have enough money to pay for the whole procedure including excision.  As a canadian citizen I only had the excision portion covered by the Ontario health plan. I believe $6,000 would also be close to enough to cover all costs if you went to Dr. Lista.  Dr. Lista, as far as I know, doesn't bill anything to the public health system, so people who go to him pay all out of pocket anyways.

I suggest you just call both up and see what they say.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:10:57 PM by loman1 »

Offline brebguy

• Silver Member
  • Montrealer
performing surgery on non-Canadian citizen is kinda tricky. Canadian surgeons have insurance issues and many Canadian doctors dont have proper insurance policies to operate US residents. I believe Fielding doesnt do US residents under no circumstances.

but you should still check with them, you never know.
surgery did not work...:-(
Dr. Fielding (TO - Ontario : 416.766.8890) on august 9th, 2006 and revision on september 21st, 2007

Offline Timmy31

• Posting Member
Hey thanks guys for the advice, that helps me out alot. So how much would Fielding be total without any insurance?

Offline brebguy

• Silver Member
  • Montrealer
it all depends of the severity of your case. Quebec insurance doesnt cover anything (except maybe hospital fees which comes up to about 60-70$ dollars a day i think - but i'm really not sure about that)

my total was 2 750$ (taxe included).

Offline mtl123

• Posting Member
its unlikely that the private insurance you purchase thru the university will allow you to get a "cosmetic" surgery.  Not sure about Ontario's rules but in BC you have to be at least a landed immigrant to qualify for coverage under the Medical Services Plan. I'm assuming similar rules apply in Ontario. 

It definitely wont cover the cosmetic surgery but it might cover the hospital charges and maybe the excision! If he qualifies to pay as much as QC residents it will still be way lower than he would get in the US.

Offline Timmy31

• Posting Member
So brebguy was 2,750 without any insurance? Are you american and went to canada for the surgery?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
At the present time Dr. Fielding and Dr. Lista do not operate on non Canadian residents. However, I read a few weeks ago, that someone who was in touch with Lista's people, found out that sometime this fall, Canadian PS's will accept OOC patients.

Do not quote me on this tho. It is only hearsay.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Timmy31

• Posting Member
Okay cool. Now all I need to know is how long does it take to gain residency once you move there.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
For Ontario, you need to physically reside in the province for at least 2 years before being granted 'Permanent Residency' status....

GB

Offline brebguy

• Silver Member
  • Montrealer
So brebguy was 2,750 without any insurance? Are you american and went to canada for the surgery?

nope, as i said earlier, Canadian surgeons (especially Lista and Fielding) usually dont perform surgeries on non-Canadians. Quebec is the only province which doesn't cover excision so i had to pay the "full" price.

as i said Timmy31, Fielding who is probably the less expensive surgeon we heard about on the board) doesnt do surgeries on American. you should really call various ps and see if you could. cause none of us seem to be able to give you a straight answer.

so good luck buddy!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024