Author Topic: shaping the chest -compression, scarring and massage  (Read 4353 times)

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
hi, ive got a few questions regarding the eventual shape of the chest(if they can b answered point by point,then it'll maybe clearup loads of issues for others).also i know sum answers will just b personal opinion, but that's valuable also, especially if the docs can address each question..here goes!!

1) i understand that compression helps reduce swelling,but does wearing compression garments after the first 6weeks for example, help REDUCE the SCAR tissue that has already formed by then?

2) does wearing compression after six weeks have ANY influence over the eventual SHAPE of the chest after healing?(i.e. in your opinion, if someone wore some form of compression garment for a full six months for example, or that same person only wore compression for a month, would the FINAL shape/texture of the chest be better for the one who wore it 4 longer?

3) if a person has one side that is indented or skin stuck to the muscle due to draining of a haematoma after surgery, but the other side healing normally  (usual swelling etc.) would wearing a compression garment beyond the 6week/2month period, prevent or hinder the indented side from filling out, because of the constriction?

4)for those with puffy nipples a few months after surgery due to scar tissue under the nipple, does compression help in the breakdown and reabsorbtion of that tissue?

5) does massage really have any effect on FINAL outcome , shape &texture of chest?i.e. would sum 1 who massaged throught whole 6-8 months post surgery have less scaaring, and a better TEXTURED chest than sum one who stopped after 2months?

sorry it's quite long, but the answers to these questions may help many people in their understanding of healing&scar&massage.

DrBermant

hi, ive got a few questions regarding the eventual shape of the chest(if they can b answered point by point,then it'll maybe clearup loads of issues for others).also i know sum answers will just b personal opinion, but that's valuable also, especially if the docs can address each question..here goes!!

1) i understand that compression helps reduce swelling,but does wearing compression garments after the first 6weeks for example, help REDUCE the SCAR tissue that has already formed by then?

2) does wearing compression after six weeks have ANY influence over the eventual SHAPE of the chest after healing?(i.e. in your opinion, if someone wore some form of compression garment for a full six months for example, or that same person only wore compression for a month, would the FINAL shape/texture of the chest be better for the one who wore it 4 longer?

3) if a person has one side that is indented or skin stuck to the muscle due to draining of a haematoma after surgery, but the other side healing normally  (usual swelling etc.) would wearing a compression garment beyond the 6week/2month period, prevent or hinder the indented side from filling out, because of the constriction?

4)for those with puffy nipples a few months after surgery due to scar tissue under the nipple, does compression help in the breakdown and reabsorbtion of that tissue?

5) does massage really have any effect on FINAL outcome , shape &texture of chest?i.e. would sum 1 who massaged throught whole 6-8 months post surgery have less scaaring, and a better TEXTURED chest than sum one who stopped after 2months?

sorry it's quite long, but the answers to these questions may help many people in their understanding of healing&scar&massage.

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures can help others better understand your concerns.  When there is  a complication like a hematoma on one side, healing and results can be different. 

I prefer both Scar Care and After Surgery Male Chest Compression Garments to help optimize my patients' scars after surgery.  Scars that evolve under pressure and massage therapy do better than scars without.  When that does not work well enough, there is always revision surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline MSJ108

Offline MSJ108

Temporary Lumpiness
Temporary lumpiness and bumpiness is common after liposuction. This condition becomes noticeable within one to two weeks after surgery and becomes most pronounced between two to four weeks after surgery. This temporary lumpiness is the result of the normal healing process after liposuction. The intensity and duration of this condition can be minimized using open-drainage and bimodal-compression.

from
http://www.liposuction.com/safety/common_minor.php

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
thanks doc, and msj (good link!)
maybe others including Dr. Pope could chime and address each of the specific questions directly. Answeing each one directly would probably answer a significant number of the scar/swelling/compression questions that people have...cheers!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:18:48 PM by michaelmorey »

Offline MSJ108

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024