Author Topic: "It is imperative that someone collects you from the hospital"  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Do all of you guys recommend this? Is it enforced?

In my case I have not and will not tell anyone that I'm getting this surgery. So, nobody will be collecting me from the hospital.

However, the metro system is literally 60 second's walk from the hospital. All I need to do get the metro tram for 30 minutes to the airport, get an hour-long flight, then a 2 hour bus journey.

No problems, right?

As far as I know it will be a general anaesthesia, though it could be a kind of twilight anaesthesia, I'm not entirely sure. My case is mild: just some glandular tissue. My bodyfat is average, I'm in good shape.
Surgery completed. Mission accomplished!
2/6/09. Dr. Karidis, UK.

Offline thetodd

You can just discharge yourself, im not sure how they would react to this in all honesty. They were pretty adament that i needed someone to collect me!

But its going to be hard catching the train and stuff in all honesty, for me an anesthetic is a bit like a comedown from pills youl feel really groggy and run down (its bad). Make sure you travel super super light and have an easy to carry gym bag. You cant really move your arms after surgery because the incisions are made on your arms (so everytime you move your arms up it will be agony).

Make sure you get all of your medicines before you leave you will get given

3 or 5 pills of an antibiotic
30 strong painkillers (codeine) take two as soon as they give you them youl need it
and arnica tablets (if you didn't get them in the post) speeds up the healing of bruising/swelling

You are going to feel TIRED, and i mean feeling like your going to pass out there isnt much you can do about this in all honesty your just going to have to try and keep awake.

just take it super easy, make sure you've had something to eat and drink, drink loads of water!

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Well, I would pack very, very lightly.  Bring things you can dispose of should everything be too heavy.  I can't imagine you'd be able to carry and move around a back pack or piece of luggage after surgery.  Also, you shouldn't just because of the risk of damaging the area.

Any chance of staying there for a day or two?

I think you are taking a big chance, honestly. 

Are you going to go back so the doctor can take a look and make sure everything is alright?

You might be viewing surgery a little bit naively.  Have you ever had surgery before or known anyone that had surgery, and that you saw up close?

But hey, I am no authority on this.  I haven't had the surgery yet and have no idea about this.  I am only speculating.

Thanks for the reply.
I think trying to stay at a hotel would be more stressful, finding where to stay, paying extra.
Good call on packing lightly, I won't be bringing much: some slippers, basic toiletries, maybe some spare clothes.
I doubt I'll need to go back, and my surgeon - Karidis in the UK - is one if the most experienced surgeons in the world in gynecomastia. My case is quite minor, I just have "the puffs".

I have never had surgery before, but I've researched it a lot.

You have planted seeds of doubt, but I still feel I will be fine.

Offline thetodd

dont bother taking slippers, they give you some rubbish ones (they do the job though) just wear your trainers up

even though your not having a full on up like the guys, your still having the same cuts and it is invasive surgery. You tend to get alot of people saying well its just a bit of discomfort i mean really it isnt and if someone bumps into you on the train your going to be in a world of pain ... just take that into consideration and take it very easily and just move with caution! I got my old man to give me a lift back and i felt every bump on that 1 hour journey back. Also you will have fasted from the night before so your going to be really hungry afterwards

It really isnt a terrible experience, but i just want to prepare you for the worse :)

JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SURGERY (bit like gremlins eh)

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
You can just discharge yourself, im not sure how they would react to this in all honesty. They were pretty adament that i needed someone to collect me!

But its going to be hard catching the train and stuff in all honesty, for me an anesthetic is a bit like a comedown from pills youl feel really groggy and run down (its bad). Make sure you travel super super light and have an easy to carry gym bag. You cant really move your arms after surgery because the incisions are made on your arms (so everytime you move your arms up it will be agony).

Make sure you get all of your medicines before you leave you will get given

3 or 5 pills of an antibiotic
30 strong painkillers (codeine) take two as soon as they give you them youl need it
and arnica tablets (if you didn't get them in the post) speeds up the healing of bruising/swelling

You are going to feel TIRED, and i mean feeling like your going to pass out there isnt much you can do about this in all honesty your just going to have to try and keep awake.

just take it super easy, make sure you've had something to eat and drink, drink loads of water!

Shit, sounds bad! Though, in your pics it seems they took a lot of fat out of the breast area. In my case, it's more a glandular problem, not much actual fat or breast tissue.
There is literally no one I trust to tell about this.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm taking it all on board.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
dont bother taking slippers, they give you some rubbish ones (they do the job though) just wear your trainers up

even though your not having a full on up like the guys, your still having the same cuts and it is invasive surgery. You tend to get alot of people saying well its just a bit of discomfort i mean really it isnt and if someone bumps into you on the train your going to be in a world of pain ... just take that into consideration and take it very easily and just move with caution! I got my old man to give me a lift back and i felt every bump on that 1 hour journey back. Also you will have fasted from the night before so your going to be really hungry afterwards

It really isnt a terrible experience, but i just want to prepare you for the worse :)

JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SURGERY (bit like gremlins eh)

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I think I'll be ok, gonna just suck it up and get myself home and rest for...a week.

(Unfortunately, I'm too much of a cultural ignoramus to get the Gremlins reference. It's been years since I saw that film.)

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Dude, I don't think it matters to what extent you have gyno.  Regardless they are cutting you open and removing things from your body, then sewing you back up.

I think you should stay at a hotel for at least one night, maybe two.  If you can afford it, then you really should be doing that.  I think you are taking kind of a stupid risk with this.

But I have very little physical movement to do. I can rest a lot on my way back.

How bad can it be....

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
How about this?

I see how I feel at the time. If I feel I could make the journey, I'll take it.

If I feel groggy and like shit, I'll get a taxi to the nearest hotel and stay there for the night. Though, I will lose my flight ticket and have to get a new one.

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
How about this?

I see how I feel at the time. If I feel I could make the journey, I'll take it.

If I feel groggy and like shit, I'll get a taxi to the nearest hotel and stay there for the night. Though, I will lose my flight ticket and have to get a new one.
If you're flying with WestJet, you can change your flight for a small fee.

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
How about if you can't get a hotel because they are all booked?  Or you go to the hotel, and then try to schedule a new flight, and there aren't any flights available for a few days?

Too many risks here man.  I would find a close hotel to the hospital, book it in advance, and also change your ticket in advance.  May cost you an extra fee, but would be cheaper in the end.
I completely agree. I am convinced any surgeon would strongly advise against this as well.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
How about if you can't get a hotel because they are all booked?  Or you go to the hotel, and then try to schedule a new flight, and there aren't any flights available for a few days?

Too many risks here man.  I would find a close hotel to the hospital, book it in advance, and also change your ticket in advance.  May cost you an extra fee, but would be cheaper in the end.

Good advice. I'm emailing the surgery now asking them about hotel details and if I can get away with discharging myself (actually, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, and I plan on being alone when I leave). I initually made this post because I wanted to avoid taking shit from them about it! But now you guys have begun to convince me I need to stay at a hotel after.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:16:16 PM by Cellar_Door »

Offline thetodd

I wouldnt bother ... id just stop in the hospital overnight

and go in the morning, ask them if they will charge you anymore for staying overnight. Its a really nice room i cant imagine theyd charge you any extra (not sure though)

you just need to let the anesthesia wear off before traveling a long distance like htat

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
I wouldnt bother ... id just stop in the hospital overnight

and go in the morning, ask them if they will charge you anymore for staying overnight. Its a really nice room i cant imagine theyd charge you any extra (not sure though)

you just need to let the anesthesia wear off before traveling a long distance like htat

Would they allow me to stay overnight, even though it's a day case? It probably would cost an assload of money.

You see, my plane journey is at 8.30, and people are normally discharged around 5, so come to think of it, I do have time to let the anesthesia wear off. I really don't envisage myself having problems with tiredness or groggyness, but that could be my ego speaking.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Wellll..... I felt perfectly fine and I walked home!

I got home a few hours ago, and I feel great. Maybe a little tired now. It's nearly midnight. Looking forward to a good night's sleep and getting rid of the padding tomorrow.

IT'S DONE!! OHH YEAH BABY! :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024