Author Topic: What are the signs of hematoma?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline shirtshy

• Posting Member

Sorry to start a new thread, but wanted to get this answered.

From what I've read hematoma
1. Looks like swelling
2. Is a dark purplish color
3. Is painful to the touch

I had surgery 10 days ago with dr. Fielding, and have noticed a dark bruise that is painful to the touch (see 2&3 above) but no swelling.  The bruise is under my left breast, closer to center than my lipo cuts and hasn't lessened in 3 days since the bandages came off.  It's about the size of a dime, and relatively flat.

Any ideas and clarification appreciated.
Surgeon: Dr. Fielding

View My Pre-Op Pictures
View My POST OP Pictures

Jan 13 2010, Moobs Remoobed!!!

DrBermant

Sorry to start a new thread, but wanted to get this answered.

From what I've read hematoma
1. Looks like swelling
2. Is a dark purplish color
3. Is painful to the touch

I had surgery 10 days ago with dr. Fielding, and have noticed a dark bruise that is painful to the touch (see 2&3 above) but no swelling.  The bruise is under my left breast, closer to center than my lipo cuts and hasn't lessened in 3 days since the bandages came off.  It's about the size of a dime, and relatively flat.

Any ideas and clarification appreciated.

Blood outside of the vessel network comes in different degrees. Bruising with gynecomastia surgery is a sign that there is blood outside of the vessel network that the body needs to dissolve. The best surgical technique minimizes bruising, bleeding, and swelling. A larger collection of blood becomes a hematoma.

Hematoma After Gynecomastia Surgery Complication means there is a collection of extra blood in the tissues.  Bleeding in tissues can expand, be tense, and cause discomfort.  Swelling from hematoma can be fresh blood, residual clotted blood, liquefied blood, and injured tissues.  Clotted blood does not drain well.  Over time clotted blood liquefies permitting drainage.  Although the body will try to absorb the extra blood, it must break down the blood and then absorb the material. 

Your questions are best directed to your surgeon who can with examination offer specific advice.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline shirtshy

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply.
SO if it's characterised by larger collections of blood, as stated above, I probably shouldn't worry about a dime size bruize.

DrBermant

Thanks for the reply.
SO if it's characterised by larger collections of blood, as stated above, I probably shouldn't worry about a dime size bruize.

That is a question best answered by your own doctor or someone who has actually examined your situation and can provide actual specifics.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024