Author Topic: 1 Year After Surgery.  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Plant82

• Posting Member
It's been just over a year and I'm very happy and proud that I did it. I wore the garments for 4 months as recommended by my surgeon. I still have some numbness around the excision areas but it has been returning slowly. Can't really feel one nipple. Oh well, at least I can wear fitted clothes and walk with good posture, my shoulders back. I can really identify with many stories on this site. I used to have to wear shirts with a pattern on the chest or loose shirts and hope a breeze didn't come and press my clothes against me. It was a hard way to grow up. Please get the the surgery if you are thinking about it. But, go to an experienced surgeon and do your homework. If you have any questions for me about what my healing process was like or anything. I would love to answer them.

Offline ZackKahn163

• Posting Member
Congrats on the good outcome on the surgery. I had mine about a month ago, and now its a mind game basically because the swelling is making my nipples look like before surgery. I was just wondering how long did it take for you to get the flat chest?

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Congrats plant. Currently, I am 4 weeks post-op and I am in the same situation with no sensation at the nipples and surrounding areas. I also feel pain around the nipples if I touch or sleep on my stomach. When did your pain fully subside and when did the sensation start re-appearing in and around the nipples?

Offline Plant82

• Posting Member
It took about three months for the soreness to subside. I would feel weird bites of pain in various areas of my chest for about six months. The swelling took almost three months to go away completely. I made sure to wear the vests for those three months. I bought an extra one so I could switch off. I had a tighter one for when I was active or at work. I had the looser fitting one I got from the surgeon that I wore to sleep in. I also kept gauze pads under the vest where it would fold under my breast area to keep a permanent indentation from forming. The feeling didn't start to return until after six months on one side and continues to become more sensitive on the other even now. I doubt I will ever return to full original sensation. But, I'm okay with that.

Offline Plant82

• Posting Member
I also remembering very worried about the swelling on one side. The skin felt loose and watery.  I called my nurse every few days with a new concern. I'm a worrier though. I should mention I had full Gyne surgery. It wasn't a serious case. People told me they didn't notice I had moobs or whatever. I just think I was good at concealing it. But when your down to an athletic body fat percentage and have an a cup something has to be done. Hope I'm helpful. I would love to answer any other questions that come up.

Offline ZackKahn163

• Posting Member
yeah the swelling for me is the worse i know its going to go away, but its just in my head i can't stop thinking about it. Its a total mind-darn to tell you the truth.

Offline Plant82

• Posting Member
Keep up with the compression garment. Even after the swelling goes away, that will be when the disrupted tissue will be able to fuse most closely to your body. The surgery involves serious tissue trauma and takes much time to heal from. Just standing for extended periods can increase swelling. That is where vigilance comes in with the garments. Take it easy and you'll be fine.

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
Just reading "serious tissue trauma" makes me second guess scheduling a consolation. I worry about putting my body through that sort of ordeal. However, with my mild case I am obsessing more and I feel it's getting worse.

How experienced was your surgeon? What was his background?

I am looking through PS's in NJ and there are so many and few have web sites that showcase all of their work.

Offline ZackKahn163

• Posting Member
thank you for the advice Plant82.

Offline Plant82

• Posting Member
My surgeon is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons with specific emphasis on aesthetic (cosmetic) surgery of the breast, face and body. He ad a done several gyne procedures. But had performed hundreds of mastectomies which is basically the same. He did more work than it seems most doctors do for gyne. He removed skin around the nipples to make it tight and disrupted tissue under my breast so that the fold would go away. He also removed fat on the sides of my chest. Excision of tissue is traumatic but you heal in time. And during the entire process i never felt much pain. No more than after an intense chest workout.

Offline opus_dei

• Posting Member
Thanks Plant. That helps a lot. My surgeon had asked me to keep the compression garment on for 4 weeks and had given me the green light to  take it off and work out after 4 weeks. After reading from you and others that swelling tends to increase with working out, I did purchase another compression garment just incase. So far with running, jogging and a few push-ups, I have not seen any visible increase in swelling or pain levels, and hence I have chosen not to wear the garment.

Post surgery, my right chest has looked puffier than the left, with the hint of slight gyne. Also, it is more tender, painful and my right nipple looks puffy. Thanks your comments about waiting 3 months for swelling to fully subside, I am not panicking yet. Hopefully, things even out.

Thanks again for your continued support on this forum.

Offline ZackKahn163

• Posting Member
With the surgery, does the nipple stay the same size or does it shrink through time?

Offline Plant82

• Posting Member
My nipples became a fraction smaller only for a very slight amount of skin needed to be included in the suture.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Hi Plant82,

Has the feeling returned to your nipples? I haven't had the surgery yet or seen a doctor but I plan on doing so in the coming months.

:)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024