Author Topic: Blood test results help - test/estrogen  (Read 4868 times)

Offline silentsam

• Posting Member
I will get the full lab results soon but I was told my testosterone levels were like 410, estro was 48. They said normal for estrogen was 10-50 and test 178-780 or something.

Is it just me, or am I wrong in thinking estrogen is high and testosterone low (I am 28).

Initially I was just given a voice mail saying everything came back normal but I know doctors and blood work and so long as its a few percent either way they consider it normal.

Anyway, input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline xelnaga13

You need to get a copy of your full blood work including the ideal ranges. Don't take your doctors opinion about your hormone levels as fact. Some doctors believe that as long as youre in the normal range you're fine. There are many more factors to consider such as age and whether or not youre in low normal ranges. Ideally you want to be in optimal ranges.

hammer

You need to get a copy of your full blood work including the ideal ranges. Don't take your doctors opinion about your hormone levels as fact. Some doctors believe that as long as youre in the normal range you're fine. There are many more factors to consider such as age and whether or not youre in low normal ranges. Ideally you want to be in optimal ranges.

I would have to agree! I don't believe in "normal range" there can be to many factors that can change things!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It sounds like the various responders are all on the same track and I am in complete agreement.

The relationship of the hormones to each other and the other hormones that may or may not be present are the important things to note. Interpretation of these results should be left to an Endocrinologist and preferably one with a specific interest in development or fertility issues as opposed to one who specializes in diabetes or liver disease. Sometimes it is just as important to note the sub-specialty of a doctor with the same care as the doctors overall specialty.
Grandpa Dan

Offline silentsam

• Posting Member
Going to get full results sheet tomorrow, including free testosterone.

The results and ranges:

Testosterone: 407 (175-781)
Estrogen: 48 (0-53)
Thyroid tsh: 1.99 (0.34-5.06)

Offline silentsam

• Posting Member
To me it seems for my age the testosterone level is rather in the low range of normal, as a range in the 170 region sounds really low. Estrogen seems on the high side?

Offline xelnaga13

To me it seems for my age the testosterone level is rather in the low range of normal, as a range in the 170 region sounds really low. Estrogen seems on the high side?

Your test looks like its a solid mid range number. What time of the day did you have blood work?

Estrogen is a little higher than I would like my own to be. The most plausible cause for estrogen build up is excess fat, since fat cells are the main producers (through aromatase conversion) of estrogen in the male body. Another mechanism for estrogen build up is a congested liver. Booze, processed foods, and rx medication can slow down the livers ability to clear excess hormones from your system.

Estrogen is a trigger in the HTPA feedback loop. So the higher your estrogen the lower your testosterone will be. Low estrogen trigger the production of more testosterone, high estrogen sends the signal that enough test. has been created and to stop.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Depends on who you ask, but I would say your testosterone is tad too low and your estrogen is much too high for your age. It depends on which lab you use but T ranges are wide and go from 200-1200.

Some don't care, but T/E ratios are often used and that's what concerns me here.  You don't mention your weight, alcohol use, or other health issues. While it does not work for everyone, the ideal levels I have seen are T closer to 600 and E2 less than 30. Increasing your T from 400 to 500 or even 600 would be easy with creams or gels or patches. But I suspect your E2 would rise with it due to conversion of T to E2.

You might also ask for your doctor to include Free T in your next blood test. This ties into how your body is processing T and E2

I think the issue is your E2. Controlling E2 is tougher than raising T. As mentioned being overweight, or drinking excessively, or other health issues can increase E2. An over the counter supplement like DIMM can help block E2 absorption, as can prescription Tamoxifen,  but the only way to drop E2 levels is going to be a drug like Arimidex which can be challenging to find a doctor willing to prescribe it when you are "in lab range". It can not only drive E2 lower but also boost T levels by unbinding the conversion of T into E2. However, too low E2 has its issues as well - including depression, joint pain, bone loss, and more.

You are best to avoid a doctor who only looks at "Lab ranges" and works with how you are feeling, and looking with your current levels. Everyone male different.

Offline xelnaga13

My advice was relative to the ranges his lab used. (175-781) I was assumed the lab is using a different measurement of test, rather than different ranges. So the above poster is correct 600+ is the best number in a range of 200-1200.

Offline silentsam

• Posting Member
I had the test taken in the afternoon - around 12.30
I had worked out that morning at 7.30.. So guess that could dip it a little.

I am a fitness professional, below 9% bodyfat and drink maybe a couple glasses of wine a week. I am right now bulking - on around 4000 calories daily - more ectomorphic here, find it hard to gain weight. Getting beyond 200lbs is a struggle and has me at 5200 calories daily.

Offline xelnaga13

I had the test taken in the afternoon - around 12.30
I had worked out that morning at 7.30.. So guess that could dip it a little.

I am a fitness professional, below 9% bodyfat and drink maybe a couple glasses of wine a week. I am right now bulking - on around 4000 calories daily - more ectomorphic here, find it hard to gain weight. Getting beyond 200lbs is a struggle and has me at 5200 calories daily.

PM makes a huge difference. Test spikes in the early AM and then declines through out the day. Additionally, heavy weight training causes a spike and crash ( which can last a few days) as well. Ideally the test should be done @ 8am.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024