Author Topic: Weight loss before Gynecomastia surgery??  (Read 2048 times)

Offline dharry

• Posting Member

I hope I fully understand the weight loss discussion I keep reading about.

I like the idea of losing weight to see if a person's gynecomastia is improved enough to not have surgery. If it is greatly improved [where surgery isn't required] a person now has huge motivation to keep the weight off, in a sense the weight loss is the surgery. I get that.

But if the weight loss isn't enough shouldn't a person go into surgery weighing what he can [realistically] maintain. If a person goes into surgery 30 pounds lighter than what he can [realistically] maintain isn't that a bad idea. When he gains the 30 pounds back isn't that counterproductive to the surgery.

Thanks for all replies.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First and foremost, one has to be honest with oneself.

Understandably, when we get older, losing weight (and keeping it off) is extremely difficult.  Trust me, I have been through that myself -- too many times to count.

What I had previously said to you was that, in general, it is best to perform surgery on a patient who is at his lowest and most stable weight.  However, I recognize that some guys feel comfortable at a slightly higher weight.  Obviously, surgery can be done at this weight and the results should be sufficient to satisfy the patient.  If weight is subsequently lost, then the surgical results will be even better.  If one should gain weight after surgery, some of the weight will go to the chest, but it will not regain the same prominence that it had previously -- ie, it will still be better than when you started, even though it might increase slightly in size.

Ultimately, it is your decision as to when and at what weight you wish to undergo surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline dharry

• Posting Member

Thank you very much for the great info/reply Dr. Jacobs. Much appreciated!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024