Author Topic: Alcoholism and femenitization / gynecomastia  (Read 3470 times)

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
This is probably not the best place to ask this, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I know alcohol can be immediately toxic to the testes. And I've read some alcoholics can cause enough liver and testicular damage from alcohol that feminitization of some body parts can occur.

My question is, IF in fact my gynecomastia, loss of some muscle mass, and love handles were worsened by my constant drinking problem... is it possible to reverse this slowly by cutting out alcohol completely? Or is it possible that my testicles have been permanently damaged or the hormones will remain this way, etc?

I've had T tests and it is in range, but just barely. I also tried drinking every night for 2 weeks before one lab (which is not uncommon in the past anyway) and the results were the lowest T level I've had and elevated ( but in range Estradiol) I've cut out the drinking almost 100% and I'm trying to eat healthier. Do you think it's possible my T levels can rise back to a more optimal number and reverse the poor effects it's had on my body shape? (if this was the cause)

For reference I've always felt like I've had a bit of gynecomastia, but the past year or so I feel it's been worse. Just looked at pictures of me when I was heavier... but still had a flatter chest. Which makes me really feel that something is going on now that I need to fix.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Oh one last thing- should I try to find an endo who will spend time with me to investigate why my levels are low, or would that be referred more to a urologist to investigate?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Alcohol can be a double whammy. Not only toxic to the testes but also toxic to the liver. The first would lower the T levels and the second potentially causing the E levels to rise. If your T level is in the low end of normal and E in the high end of normal the balance of one against the other could be way off. This kind of analysis would probably take an Endocrinologist to figure out.
Grandpa Dan

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
I figured.  :-\

I've been to an Endocrinologist. Said my levels were "normal" and despite me wanting to investigate why my T levels were low and E on the higher end... suggested I try a T gel if I would like. See if it made my symptoms go away or decrease...

I've discovered some other possibilities. Planning to see a urologist soon.

Please wish me luck I really think I have a shot to reverse my hormone problems...

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Remember that Gynecomastia is not a disease but a symptom. As such, it cannot he "Healed" though the condition may revert when the cause is eliminated.

Not all Endocrinologists are equal when it comes to our needs. Ome may specialize in pancreatic problems for example. Our needs are best met by Doctors who deal/specialize in reproductive issues.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024