Author Topic: Question for those that Waited A Long Time Before Surgery  (Read 2576 times)

Offline zado611

• Bronze Member
How surreal was it when you finally got it done? How much did your confidence rise afterwards? was it like a new you? How long did it take before your mind caught up with your new body?.. I have a feeling I am going to stand in front of the mirror and just cry happy tears for a while cuz this gyne has taking alot out of me as far as emotions and to know that that battle is over will just be an awesome moment.. I will also probably run to my parents and thank them for being there for me if they agree this wkend to let me have the surgery.. Praying that my letter to them works

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Hey Zado,

I'm only two days post-op and the psychological aspects to 'the change' are only just sinking in. But yes, I'm starting to feel much better already. I wasn't overwhelmed by emotion, as one might expect, but instead I was generally upbeat and my mood remains elevated. I'm probably going to spend the next couple of weeks chilling out at home, whilst wearing the compression garment, playing warcraft and such; so it remains to be seen exactly what impact this event will have on my psychology.

That being said, I suffered from gyne from the age of 18 to 32 and it completely destroyed my life. I was so badly affected by it that for 5 years I couldn't leave the house or function in any normal manner when around other people; panic attacks were common. It brought me close to suicide several times.

I'm glad it's finally sorted!

All in all I feel much better already; kind of like walking on air.

Good luck acquiring the surgery. I hope your folks say yes!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You are fortunate to live in a time when surgery is both safe and effective. this has not always been the case.

Had surgery of today's quality been available 50 years ago, I would have had it. The truth is that the various methods now used for male breast reduction are not nearly that old. A person's priorities change over time and with age there are new health concerns meaning that this is something best dealt with while you are young or it will not be likely to happen at all. Certainly the likelihood of having surgery diminishes as we get older.

Men who have had the surgery often describe their feelings as though they had been liberated.
Grandpa Dan

Offline waves

• Silver Member
I've been in a permanent happy place ever since my surgery.  It was unbelievably amazing to do things I couldn't even dream of pre-op!  One great thing for me though...sleep!!!!!

I think I spent the better part of every day stressed out, hunching, worried whether it was showing, what to wear, how's my posture, hiding from family, etc., etc.  And now, no longer worried.  I've gone from maybe 5 to 6 hours of broken up sleep a night over the past many years to 8 hours solid night after night. 

Psychological and physiological benefits from the surgery for sure!

Offline zado611

• Bronze Member
wow awesome hope to have these same feeling soon

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member

Just make sure you get the right surgeon and you will! It'll be the best money you ever spent

Offline waves

• Silver Member

Keep in mind I think one element of why I've been so happy was my pre-op expectations.  The doc said most surgeries generally result in an 80% improvement.  I focused hard on what 80% meant to me and if that would make me happy.  Being able to wear a t-shirt was my ultimate goal and I've achieved that and more.  But if you go into it thinking you're going to come out looking like Brad Pitt, you won't be nearly as happy.  I see a lot of guys go into surgery with moderate or bad gyne and come out very disappointed because they didn't get 100% perfection.  Perspective helps a lot to ensure you're happy with the results.  My $0.02 anyway!   ;D  Hope this helps for your journey!

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
Good point I would settle for 80% as well.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024