Author Topic: NHS or Private!!!! HELP  (Read 2584 times)

Offline fed-up

• Silver Member
hi everyone - ive recently been reffered by my local GP to see a plastic surgeon to get my breast reduction on the NHS. However after looking through this site i see many people slate the NHS, which has made me seriously consider going private. However if i could get the same results on the NHS as private, just that i would have to wait slightly longer - then i might aswell get it done on the NHS.

Im really confused as to what to do. Cos i dont want anyone making a mess of the surgery - all i want is one operation - job done - years of curse dissappear.

Please Help! - many thanks
Surgery performed by Alex Karidis - 11/09/08

Offline outertrial

Being referred to see an nhs  plastic surgeon for gyne and actually getting that nhs surgery for gyne are two very different things. If you are offered an op in a reasonably timely manner and youre happy the surgeon knows what theyre doing you may as well take it.

I would have a contingency in place however where you put a limit on how much youll let them mess you around before going private.

Offline kingboob

I agree with the above poster.... getting your GP to effectively write a letter and actually getting the operation are two different things.

If you actually get to see a surgeon you like who offers to do the operation in a suitable fashion (IE: Isn't a breast surgeon wanting to do a mastectomy) then by all means go for it!

However, after my experiences (referred twice, refused to be seen by the consutant twice, and then getting messed about) I would start saving up and set a time limit on the NHS route.

Offline outertrial

There is also the factor that a lot of people complain that the nhs just dont take enough out. So though its free you go through all the trauma of the op and still end up needing another one.

Of course this can happen with private surgeons too but obviously with private you have 100% choice over the surgeon and the timings. Two things lacking that make the nhs rather unsatisfactory in comparison.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024