Author Topic: Will weight loss eliminate gyno.  (Read 17777 times)

pjnIL

Some vehemently deny that exercise will eliminate gyno.  Some vehemently uphold that it will.  Here is an excerpt from an article from about.com The article is about myths about women and weight training.  Before you get upset.  Let me say that this one point is applicable to both women and men with breasts.

"Women's Weight Training Myth #2 - Exercise increases your chest size.
Sorry girls. Women’s breasts are composed mostly of fatty tissue. Therefore, it is impossible to increase breast size through weight training. As a matter of fact, if you go below 12 percent body fat, your breast size will decrease. Weight training does increase the size of the back, so this misconception probably comes from confusing an increase in back size with an increase in cup size. The only way to increase your breast size is by gaining fat or getting breast implants."

So obviously at a point it will reduce.  Before you say it won't happen maybe measure your BMI.  If you do start doing weight training you should do a circuit that trains all the muscles.  What is more important is losing fat.  Do plenty of cardio.  The weight training and resistance exercises will help tighten the skin as you lose weight.

Think of a really thin and active woman, do they have extremely large breasts?  No, they don't.  I knew a woman who had DD breasts.  She wanted a breast reduction.  However, she was persuaded to lose weight first before considering a reduction.  She is now a C.  Obviously a big change.  Her breasts are not gone, but she is a woman.  Women have estrogen that influences fat to go to the breasts and hips. 

So keep exercising.  Hire a physical trainer if necessary.  I am willing to wager that for 3 out of 4 people with gyno that if they got down to a very low BMI the gyno would diminish to an unnoticeable level.  I do understand that some people have genetic issues that lead to gyno.  For a lot of others though, lose the weight.   

Offline dcvet

• Silver Member
>>Women have estrogen that influences fat to go to the breasts and hips.  <<

Bro, this is the key to your question or statement (Not sure which it was).

If you have enlarged gland tissue, losing weight/fat will NOT get rid of it (directly).  It may improve or it may even look worse.

I have also had friends who were in single digit BF % with ripped abs but still had fat around their nipples.

So basically, the question that many ask, will my "moobs" go away after excercise cannot be answered so simply.  Too many variables.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
For people that have a "few extra pounds" losing some weight will definitely help reduce the size of their chest...to a point.  After that, no exercise or dieting will help at all.

Offline anon643

• Posting Member
i'm 5'8 227 , with pretty bad gyno.....i'm getting frustrated of trying to lose weight......but someone my height should be like 175 at least.....what can i do....., i might regret getting surgery @this weight later down the road...

DrBermant

Some vehemently deny that exercise will eliminate gyno.  Some vehemently uphold that it will.  Here is an excerpt from an article from about.com The article is about myths about women and weight training.  Before you get upset.  Let me say that this one point is applicable to both women and men with breasts.

"Women's Weight Training Myth #2 - Exercise increases your chest size.
Sorry girls. Women’s breasts are composed mostly of fatty tissue. Therefore, it is impossible to increase breast size through weight training. As a matter of fact, if you go below 12 percent body fat, your breast size will decrease. Weight training does increase the size of the back, so this misconception probably comes from confusing an increase in back size with an increase in cup size. The only way to increase your breast size is by gaining fat or getting breast implants."

So obviously at a point it will reduce.  Before you say it won't happen maybe measure your BMI.  If you do start doing weight training you should do a circuit that trains all the muscles.  What is more important is losing fat.  Do plenty of cardio.  The weight training and resistance exercises will help tighten the skin as you lose weight.

Think of a really thin and active woman, do they have extremely large breasts?  No, they don't.  I knew a woman who had DD breasts.  She wanted a breast reduction.  However, she was persuaded to lose weight first before considering a reduction.  She is now a C.  Obviously a big change.  Her breasts are not gone, but she is a woman.  Women have estrogen that influences fat to go to the breasts and hips. 

So keep exercising.  Hire a physical trainer if necessary.  I am willing to wager that for 3 out of 4 people with gyno that if they got down to a very low BMI the gyno would diminish to an unnoticeable level.  I do understand that some people have genetic issues that lead to gyno.  For a lot of others though, lose the weight.   

You are correct, wearing the extra fat is not healthy.  Check out risks with a BMI Calculator (Body Mass Index)

Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.

Here is an example of the major change in fat after weight loss, residual fat, gland, and skin can still be issues that surgery can help.

Weight Loss, Dealing With Excess Skin of the Chest and Body is also a major emotional issue.

Check out this resource on the emotion of body lift surgery for those after massive weight loss:

Personal experiences and emotions of dealing with weight, loose skin, and body lift surgery.

Being patient helps, in most cases puberty gynecomastia goes away on its own. Gynecomastia that has not resolved by two years typically does not go away. 

We have many patients, family members, and parents who have raved how a compression garment can really help while losing weight, waiting for surgery, or until stabilization of a problem.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

There is a theoretical advantage for the person losing weight.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  These garments are designed to help with pressure and scar evolution.  With weight loss, there is the issue of skin shrinkage.  Pressure may help.  However, there are no studies to evaluate such issues.  Trying to desing such a study is difficult if not impossible.

You can see actual examples of Compression Chest Contouring Without Surgery for different types of gynecomastia here:

Compression Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

Body Shaping for Puffy Nipples

Body Shaping Compression Contouring for Overweight Male - This one shows the Black Vest in use.

Body Shaper Compression Garment for Severly Obese Male

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

After surgery compression garments do not do well in pool water or sea water.  The salt or chlorine can damage the fabric.  There are Sun Protection Clothing Options designed for water use. 

A wet suit can also help.  Using a thin neoprene like Microprene can flatten the chest in water like a compression garment can help on land.  The after surgery garments do not work well in water, the wet suits do.  Both can be hot to wear, that is why I prefer a very thin garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024