Author Topic: Surgery soon!! Scared!! Please, please help  (Read 3865 times)

UnhappyWithBody

Hi everyone,  I have just received a phone call telling me that my surgery is due to take place on the 18th June and I must say I am scared.  I really don't know what to expect before, during and after.  I haven't really told anyone about it, only a couple of friends know and my girlfriend, none of my family do.  I am getting it done on the NHS in Wales so have been on the waiting list for 6 months.  So my questions I guess are as follows:

How long will I need to be in hospital for? Is it overnight or will I be in and out in one day?

Is it a safe operation?  Doc told me he will take out gland and fat.

Will I need to go back to the hospital for check ups after the op?

I am planning to go to Australia for a year in Jan, will I be healed sufficiently by then?

How long till I can function normally?

I am sorry if answers to these have been posted in other threads I am just really scared/worried and hoping someone could help me personally.  This message board really has been a huge support to me and I wouldn't be where I am now without you all.

Thank You

UwB

irish lad

i think uwb in my opinion

1. not sure with nhs in most cases you have to stay at least 1 night to monitor your condtion...i stayed 2 nights..

2. it is safe but every op has its dangers..but its not heart surgey lol!! i also had some fears but it is a very safe op in my opinion..it makes no differnce on safty wheter it woulb be gland or fat.. i also had both.

3.maybe its depending on your condtion and how bad your gyne but u should have plenty of time..but they say u should keep your  chest out of the sun for a year after your op something to do with uv rays!!

4. again depends on how succesful your op is but normally about 1 month from what i hear.. im 3 days post op now and feel a lot better then yesterdy and 1 day post op

man dont apoligize to anyone your entiltled to post waht u wish its your board as much as anyone elses!! merle rules all though lol

good luck with everything..any more questions just ask

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Hi everyone,  I have just received a phone call telling me that my surgery is due to take place on the 18th June and I must say I am scared.  I really don't know what to expect before, during and after.  I haven't really told anyone about it, only a couple of friends know and my girlfriend, none of my family do.  I am getting it done on the NHS in Wales so have been on the waiting list for 6 months.  So my questions I guess are as follows:

How long will I need to be in hospital for? Is it overnight or will I be in and out in one day?

Is it a safe operation?  Doc told me he will take out gland and fat.

Will I need to go back to the hospital for check ups after the op?

I am planning to go to Australia for a year in Jan, will I be healed sufficiently by then?

How long till I can function normally?

I am sorry if answers to these have been posted in other threads I am just really scared/worried and hoping someone could help me personally.  This message board really has been a huge support to me and I wouldn't be where I am now without you all.

Thank You

UwB

I had the op on the NHS back in august soa few thoughts to hopefully put your mind at ease:

Maybe one night, maybe more. I didnt drain quickly so ended up stopping for 4 nights. I passed the time quickly by sleeping and reading. It also took me about 20min to get to the loo and back :D

Its a routine procedure and risks are minimal. Anaesthetics related complications are very rare so dont worry.

It depends on the procedure but i needed a checkup afterwards.

Sufficiently healed for travelling? no problems. Going topless, i still wouldnt be comfortable, slight concavity and brusing still after all this time.

Everyones different and it does depend on the severity. Feel free to ask more Q. I'll answerwhen more awake lol. Good luck and keep us posted.

UnhappyWithBody

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help and responses.  Couple more questions before I forget:

Is there anyway I can speed up the amount of time I need to spend in hospital?

On the NHS will they provide a compression vest or do I need to get one of my own?

Think that is all for now  :)   Thanks again!

UwB

irish lad

im not sure about nhs but id recommend at least a 1 night stay bud...you'l be sleepin most of it anyway with the anastectic!!

they should do!! but im not to sure on whole nhs thing as im from ireland!! but its normally part of the package when u get the op!

no prob good luck with it all hope it works out for you ;)

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help and responses.  Couple more questions before I forget:

Is there anyway I can speed up the amount of time I need to spend in hospital?

On the NHS will they provide a compression vest or do I need to get one of my own?

Think that is all for now  :)   Thanks again!

UwB

Just go with the flow and do exactly as the doctors and nurses say. You will probably only need one night.

The NHS gave me a stetchy bandage thing (like a boob tube  ;)) and i got my own vests (A nike and underarmour one from about £15 each at sports shops).

UnhappyWithBody

Hopefully I will only need one night, or less.......I hate hospitals.  Can you actually move after surgery? Like if I need to go to the bathroom will it be possible?  How do you know the amount of compression you are supposed to use? If I pick up a Nike one how do I know the size I should get and how much compression it should give?  How long after the operation do you have to wait to shower?

Thanks again!

UnhappyWithBody

.........also do I need to shave my chest before surgery?

GynO_DuDe

Hopefully I will only need one night, or less.......I hate hospitals.  Can you actually move after surgery? Like if I need to go to the bathroom will it be possible?  How do you know the amount of compression you are supposed to use? If I pick up a Nike one how do I know the size I should get and how much compression it should give?  How long after the operation do you have to wait to shower?

Thanks again!

Dont need to shave your chest, but why not? Might help the surgeon see things better.

I hate hospitals aswell, they usually just keep you overnight and let you be on your way the following day. Your movement will be restricted so pressure on your chest, for example getting out of bed will be a bit of a b!tch ... going to the toilet shouldnt be hard ... you'll find your own way of doing things trust me ... I was using my feet to flush the toilet afterwards LOL

What size t-shirts do you wear? if medium, then get a medium compression vest etc

Showering depends on when your allowed to have your bandages removed ...

Most things you do after the operation is all based upon how YOU feel as an individual ... doctors can only recommend things and so can us on the forum, but its all up to you and how you feel. If you feel 100% again then fair play, if not, take it easy and relax and do things gently.

Offline Albion71

• Bronze Member
.........also do I need to shave my chest before surgery?

I would say yes. Removing and reapplying the dressings in the days after the op was a bit of a pain (literally) for me, being a bit hairy.

UnhappyWithBody

Ok well perhaps I will shave my chest just to be safe then.   

So just to clarify, I can just buy a Nike Compression Vest from a sports store and that will suffice as a compression vest?  Just don't want to pick up the wrong thing so want to be sure.

Thanks again!!

Offline Albion71

• Bronze Member
Karidis supplies two, and they've done me fine (though I'll be glad to see the back of them in a couple of weeks). Check what will be supplied at the hospital.

To be honest, I thought other surgeons took the p1ss expecting people to pay 4k for an operation AND buy their own vest!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024