Author Topic: Need advice! Had 1 surgery didn't work. Dr. want's to do another one  (Read 3489 times)

Offline dukalian

• Posting Member
My first surgery was Power Assisted Lypo (PAL) with a small incision under my chest muscle. The Dr. said he wouldn't be able to really tell if my problem was fat or actual tissue until he cut me open and then he would either PAL if he found fat or cut it out if he found gland tissue. Well he thought it was fat and did the PAL, turns out he was wrong. Well partially wrong, because the Lypo did decrease the size about 35% in the end. For the first 3 to 4 weeks my chest looked great then the tissue started to harden which my Dr. told me would happen. He said it would harden and eventually shrink. Well it hardened and shrank a very small amount so now I have hard lumps the size of golf balls in my chest.

I'm 10 months post op and the Dr. said he can go in and make incisions around the nipple and cut out the tissue, he emphasized that it could leave indentions in my chest and my original thought was that he didn't seem to confident about being able to perform the surgery successfully. I told him that I had read on this board that some people say you have to actually sculpt the tissue and use it to make the would-be indentions flat. He said he knew about that and would try, but my gut instinct was still that he didn't seem to confident.

So here are my options: (I'm out of money and he's performing this for a small amount considering that I've paid him $4000 for the first surgery)
1. I keep my golf ball size lumps and I still can't wear certain clothes and just deal with my gyno.

2. Go ahead and let him try the surgery again and make the incisions around the nipples and he'll try to sculpt my chest into a normal looking chest.

3. Someone give me some ideas to discuss with him about doing a procedure that will be just as effective and hopefully one that he'll be more confident that he can perform successfully.

What should I do guys?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
if he's not charging you for the revision, and he's a basically competent ps, my sense is do it.  it sounds like he understands the basics of what needs to be done, which would let you save looking elsewhere for until you know you have to.  with this warning though.  none of us can see this and even docs prefer true examination, even he couldn't say for sure what was there till he made a cut.  get a second professional opinion, paying the new doc for his time and being mindful he might be shopping for a patient, but maybe he'll give you his candid opinion. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I would agree with a second opinion -- it is well worth the cost.  Go to an experienced gyne surgeon and make it clear to him that you basically want him to evaluate you as regards what, if anything, can be done by your original surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024