Author Topic: Propecia gave me gyno dammit! Any surgeons in Scotland?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline koopa

• Posting Member
Hello guys, Im a 26 year old from glasgow scotland. Last year i started on propecia 1 pill a day to combat mild hairloss. It completely halted my loss and along with rogaine thickend up my hair to pretty much full coverage again (i was going thin in the crown).

around a month ago i noticed that although id been hitting the gym every 2nd day, eating low fat low carb high protein meals and all the other stuff you should do to keep in shape, i couldnt shift this fat on my abs and chest. In fact, my chest was starting to look like i was developing breasts!

I immediately came off propecia and have been off for around 4 weeks now.

I can recall a couple of days when i was about 6 months into my propecia treatment when i had a particularly stingy left nipple but this went away. I now know that this was early signs of gyno.

My chest looks fine when im cold but when warm my nipples are puffy and oval shaped with a little bit of bulging underneath towards the armpit. I am currently on a cycle of letrozole to try and minimize the gyno and when i have run this i will look into surgery.

Are there any surgeons in Scotland who carry out gyno surgery? 

Offline petey755

• Posting Member
Before I booked with Karidis I found this guy:

http://www.spirehealthcare.com/Edinburgh/Our-Facilities-Treatments-and-Consultants/Our-Consultants/Mr-Stuart-Hamilton/

He said the ballpark figure for surgery was £3600 and in his email he replied

"Apologies for slow response. Gynacomastia is a regular operation under my care in the private sector, normally by liposuction, but each case is individually assessed. I must confess that photos of this are not in my current file, if you let me know when you are planning to attend I will try and organise, but I need at least a week’s notice.

Kind regards
Stuart Hamilton"

After seeing Karidis results from people on this forum, such as blue2 whos gyne was similar mines and sounds identical to yours, i thought it'd be better to go to someone I knew was experienced. My surgery is on Tuesday so i'll know then if the treck to London and the extra money was worth it. Well about 6 months from Tuesday I guess...

Offline nikolas

• Posting Member
exactly the same thing happened to me with propecia...got a full set of hair but consequences were gyne...and surgery to fix it! Not worth it...rather have a nice body with less hair than a full set of hair without being able to wear a shirt in summer!

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Petey755 - awrabest for Tuesday,

Keep us posted on your progress.
Took the plunge and had consultation with Dr. Karidis 7th January 2009.
Surgery 26th February 2009.
Just wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17004.0

Offline koopa

• Posting Member
thanks for the advice. I cant believe that Merck can get away with claiming hardly anyone gets these side effects! They seem to be common as muck!! Im upset and angry that after all my hard work in the gym and money spent on keeping my hair looking good ive now not only had to torture my body further with anti estrogens causing terrible depression and loss of libido but ive also got to fork out 4k for the priviledge of having breasts removed! I sometimes wonder why i bother..seriously!

Ive tried to confide in my gf but she tells me im imagining things and gets angry at me because i wont take my top off when i come to bed and get changed in the bathroom :(. If i try to tell my parents they just fob me off and tell me its all my own fault for putting things in my body. Sigh... All this bullshit just to try and meet the standards modern society sets for you eh?

I havent heard of Dr Hamilton but i have heard of the hospital in the link and they too quoted me approx 3600 but i guess i might as well pay the extra to go with a dr with a proven record. Good luck on your surgery my friend. Hope it looks good

Offline ryan08

• Posting Member
Hey mate!

Fellow Glaswegian here haha!

I am now 4 days post op with Dr K and I am delighted with the results!

The initial consultation costs £75 and the op is around £4118! but with flights hotel and trains to and from the airport its probably cost me nearer the 5k mark all in!

If you have any other Q's feel free to drop me a msg!!!

Cheers!

Offline koopa

• Posting Member
thanks for the feedback ryan, damn 5k is a lot of money! I can mabye stump up half of that but id probably need a loan for the rest :(
did you try any medication before the surgery? I.e Nolvadex or Letrozole?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024