Author Topic: Is it possible to drive the same day after surgery?  (Read 4290 times)

Offline d-s-m

• Posting Member
Hey all,

got my consultation with Dr. Karidis on Weds so guessing my surgery wont be too long after that  ;D
now my problem is that I live in Yorkshire so about 4 hours from London, I can drive down there in the morning (will have to leave early hours of morning) but obviously that leaves the problem of getting back, my mother is coming with me but she doesnt drive, my father and brother will both be working away at the time so they cant come with me and i dont want anyone else to know.

I thought of taking the train but I'm pretty certain you cant get a train to London at like 3am...

Theres always the option of getting hotel rooms for us but I'm guessing the hotels near Karadis surgery will be mega expensive, which will be pushing my already stretched budget beyond the limit

So that leaves me driving home on the same day after surgery, is this possible?

Thanks

GynO_DuDe

I might get slated for saying this but in all honesty, its not recommended and I dont know how your going to feel after surgery because each to their own and all that ... but yes it is possible, I think I could have driven back ... as long as you don't go over any speedbumps or potholes which is very unlikely on the motorway it can be done.

Take it really nice & slow and I think you'd be fine. Make a couple of stops at service stations to have something to eat as well and rest if you have too. You wont be able to lift your arms either, so gonna have to feed the steering wheel through your hands like an old lady.

GynO_DuDe

Just realised its a 4 hour drive ... tbh, I wouldnt be able to handle 4 hours of driving after surgery. It'd be a diff case if it were a 1/2 hour drive at the most.

hadenuf

I had mine on a sat morning so took train from Leeds afternoon before and got 2 nights in a travelodge for less than 100 quid. Stopped there night before and took tube in morning and tube back to hotel which was 5 mins away and it was nice to stay the night of the op even though I was fine to go home as had a meal out that night and some sightseeing the day after before the train home.

I recomend you use the train as petrol will be a fair bit then the congestion charge and parking costs. You can get some good deals on national express east coast if you book well in advance.

Offline d-s-m

• Posting Member
I had mine on a sat morning so took train from Leeds afternoon before and got 2 nights in a travelodge for less than 100 quid. Stopped there night before and took tube in morning and tube back to hotel which was 5 mins away and it was nice to stay the night of the op even though I was fine to go home as had a meal out that night and some sightseeing the day after before the train home.

I recomend you use the train as petrol will be a fair bit then the congestion charge and parking costs. You can get some good deals on national express east coast if you book well in advance.

Ok thanks for the advice mate, I think this is what I'm gonna do.

How long is the consultation with Karidis btw? Its just I'm gonna take the train to my consultation on Weds and need to know for the train times!

thanks

Offline kingboob

I might get slated for saying this but in all honesty, its not recommended and I dont know how your going to feel after surgery because each to their own and all that ... but yes it is possible, I think I could have driven back ... as long as you don't go over any speedbumps or potholes which is very unlikely on the motorway it can be done.

Take it really nice & slow and I think you'd be fine. Make a couple of stops at service stations to have something to eat as well and rest if you have too. You wont be able to lift your arms either, so gonna have to feed the steering wheel through your hands like an old lady.

Yeah, you are right you will be slated.  That is right up there with the most idiotic advice I have ever seen on this forum........... driving just a few hours after a general anaesthetic..... are you suicidal?

Also, your insurance almost certainly will NOT cover you should you have an accident and they get wind of the situation - you could probably be done by the police as well, driving whilst unfit or something like that no doubt.

Absolutely do not drive for at least 24hrs after the operation, preferably 48hrs.

Get yourself a cheap B&B or hotel room.  Apart from anything else you do not know how a general anaesthetic will hit you, some people are fine but others can feel out of it for hours after it. 

I know personally I am not fit to drive for at least 48hrs following a general.

Offline merlot

• Posting Member
Ok thanks for the advice mate, I think this is what I'm gonna do.

How long is the consultation with Karidis btw? Its just I'm gonna take the train to my consultation on Weds and need to know for the train times!

thanks

It's about 15-20 mins max, but you may have to wait before you see him, so it's not an exact science. Plus if you have bloodtest done there, that adds another ~20 mins.

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
A little random, but I thought I'd mention that I was considering getting my girlfriend to drive me down to London (from Bristol) until I found out that I can get the train down there for about £40 return and the coach for about £20 return.

I might opt to get the coach there as it's cheap (£10) and the train back (£20) as it's more comfy and probably more suitable after going through surgery.
Had surgery with Dr. Karidis (London, UK) on 23rd July. Wearing tight t-shirts and looking forward to going swimming!

My experience so far & updates:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18200.msg126755#msg126755

Pictures:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18539.msg127741#msg127741

Offline thetodd

If the police pulled you over and did a roadside test ... youd get a ban (this does happen ... people have been banned for driving after taking night nurse etc) If you can get someone to drive you do it! the room itself is like a little hotel room with onsuit toilet/telly/reclining chair etc they can just stay in there the whole day. Theres a park down the road aswell thats a nice walk around!

after i had my surgery all i wanted to do is get in my old mans car and stick my ipod on. The train systems are congested if you get bumped into you will be in a world of pain id actually opt for the slower coach journey myself. Heres my advice

book a saturday for surgery!

get there for about 7/8am and you will get a parking space directley outside you can leave it there all day (weekends only!)
there is NO CONGESTION CHARGE on the weekends
less congestion youl get in and out of london with ease

also when your booking your train tickets make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to your station, cause you really dont want to be panicking your arse off racing to get your train!

Good luck with the surgery lads!
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline thetodd

A little random, but I thought I'd mention that I was considering getting my girlfriend to drive me down to London (from Bristol) until I found out that I can get the train down there for about £40 return and the coach for about £20 return.

I might opt to get the coach there as it's cheap (£10) and the train back (£20) as it's more comfy and probably more suitable after going through surgery.

Oooo i was in bristol at the other week, went to the banksy exhibit at the muesem. Great day out that!

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member

Oooo i was in bristol at the other week, went to the banksy exhibit at the muesem. Great day out that!

Haha awesome! I'm hoping it's still around as I really want to see it. Glad you enjoyed Brizzle, it's a lovely city!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024