Author Topic: Dilemna..........What to do?  (Read 22808 times)

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Hi all

As I mentioned in a previous post, although I had hoped to get my surgery done around September(ish), with Dr. Karidis, my bank dealt me a crippling blow meaning that the funding (best part of 4.5k) will not be in place.  Now, my only option if I want Karidis to operate, is to save like mad.  Trouble is I'm a single parent, and I just know that life will keep getting in the way and dissipating any savings that I accrue, meaning it could take years for me to be in a position for surgery.  And I cannot wait years more, I've suffered for over 30 years already.

Now, I contacted a clinic in Costa Rica, after reading from a happy customer in these forums.  The price they quoted was as follows:

Liposuction, periareolar lift and gland removal, cost $1800.  They also went on to say that the price included all treatments, overnight stay, anaesthetics, dressings, aftercare, etc.

With the pound to dollar conversion rate I could be over there, including plane ticket, with all expenses for around £2,000.  I could have that kind of money in place for September.  Less than half price than Karidis.  Now, I would be surprised if they could be as good as Karidis as his work seems to be about as good as it gets.  However, I would still be coming home and looking considerably better than I do now.  Should I go ahead and travel?

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
Eeek. You'd be braver than me if you went to Costa Rica to get it done!

I'm scared senseless about getting surgery even though I'm going with Karidis! I've seen SO many posts on this forum about people with nipple deformities, unevenness, lumps, scars... all sorts of issues.

You'll be saving £2500 but at a potentially big risk: What if the surgeon in CR doesn't do a great job or you need to get revisions? At least Karidis is a proven surgeon with a good rep who is local - you can see how good his work is just from his happy customers all over this forum!

If you're THAT desperate and willing to deal with any consequences that might arise with going with a surgeon in a different country then go for it!

My personal advice to you though is to wait.. Honestly.. Spend the next 6 months, 12 months, however long it takes & save up.

I hear you get far better results with surgery if you lose a bit of weight pre-op, so while you're saving you could always try to take up a new sport and healthy lifestyle and lose a bit of weight and in the end get a really, really good outcome.

Remember the old cliché, "Good things come to those who wait". I know it's been 30 years but you might be glad in the end that you waited that extra year.

Good luck though, I’ll be keeping watch to see how things go :)
Had surgery with Dr. Karidis (London, UK) on 23rd July. Wearing tight t-shirts and looking forward to going swimming!

My experience so far & updates:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18200.msg126755#msg126755

Pictures:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18539.msg127741#msg127741

Offline thetodd

Seriously mate, costa rica? My life no way

I mean worse case scenario here, what if you die in the operating theatre? you havent got the trusty NHS to save you you will have some underqualified surgeon to try and ressusitate you. Not only that the surgeons abroad are simply not as qualified as the surgeons over here you could be scared for life!

surgery isnt a thing to take lightley, and taking the word from someone on a forum isnt enough proof ttheir any good. My family member had plastic surgery abroad (hair transplant) and now cant leave the house and suffers from chronic depression!

2k saving/ few years wait. Or possible iirreversable damage i know which id pick! Please dont do it!
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline kingboob

Have you tried other routes of getting a loan?  Different lenders, 0% interest credit cards etc?

The BMI group of a cosmetic surgery credit card which you can use at any of their hospitals?

I seriously would not risk it myself....... miles away from home with no NHS to pick up the pieces if it all goes t1ts up.

Offline merlot

• Posting Member
Agree... pay for it on an existing credit card and apply for a Virgin 16mths 0%, and balance transfer it to it. Then if you get to the end of 16 mths, repeat with another. I'd rather risk my finances than my health.

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Hi all

I know what you are all saying makes perfect sense.  Trouble is I'm so despondent about my situation that I am starting to think irrationally, and an air of desperation is beginning to set in.  I think maybe it is worth having a shop around to see if I cannot get hold of a 0% credit card.  Gotta be worth a shout.  I still have my appointment with Karidis booked, so should at least get an idea of how feasible an op should be.  Guess I've got some work to do...

All the best, JM

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Just applied for virgin credit card online and got a flat refusal..........  Ever get the feeling that life's conspiring against you?   >:(

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
Just applied for virgin credit card online and got a flat refusal..........  Ever get the feeling that life's conspiring against you?   >:(

Don't let it get you down mate! Penny pinch wherever you can, save like mad, do odd jobs on the side if you can? Anything.. It'll all be worth it in the end!  :)

irish lad

i reckon go ahead with it why?

1. you cant afford karidis
2.craters and chest problems can still happen with karidis ( i know he has a good record but shit       happens and iv seen a few cases with this with karidis everyone is differnt everyone will have differnt results
3. dont worry about the travelling lots of people on theses boards including myself have done it you will be fine

trust me just do it. get rid of gyne and move on  ;) just make sure they cover revision if your unlucky enough to go back!!

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Wow, that's great advice from Irish Lad.  Just rush head on into cosmetic surgery in a third world nation rather than be patient and prudent and save your money for a reliable surgeon in a industrialized country with a track record.  Craters are no big deal, they are way better than puffy nipples.  That's the best advice I've seen here yet.

You are a grown ass man.  Use your common sense.  That's all I have to say. 

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member

Offline kingboob

You should probably get hold of a copy of your credit report/file (this website tells you how: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score)   to see why you are being refused credit etc.

Applying for too many loans/credit/store cards in a short period of time will put a black mark on your record for a few months and make it nearly impossible to get loans  -- because you look like you are on a mad spending spree or totally desperate to potential lenders!

Saving up may be your only option  - Assuming you have explored the NHS route???  If not trying to push the NHS while still saving up might be worth while; I mean as you can't afford surgery for the moment it can't hurt to try can it?

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Thanks KB

Just followed the link that you provided, and it transpires that the only "black mark" against my name is the fact that, for some reason or another, I'm not on the electoral register.  Well, I've just contacted my local government office and they are sending the forms out to correct this.  So I'll give it a week or two after form-filling, and retry my credit score.  And if that fixes things I may be in with a shout.  i

I am still booked in with Dr. Karidis for the initial assessment next week, and I fully intend to see that through.  Based on his forecast for the degree of success i can realistically expect, I'll take it from there.  Just hope things get a litle simpler.....   :)

All the best, JM

Offline kingboob

That would explain it.......borrowing any significant amount of money when you are not on the electoral roll is virtually impossible.

irish lad

mrpower i would hardly call it rushing considering jugsymalone has probaly known for sometime now that he has gyne!! as far as costa rica being a 3rd world country get your facts right, costa rica is  not uk or usa by any means but is far better off than its central american neighbours you dont belive me go look it up.

mrpower: Craters are no big deal, they are way better than puffy nipples you call that good advice :D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024