Author Topic: Brain tumour caused my gynecomastia - advice welcomed from others here!  (Read 2344 times)

Offline endinsight?

Hi

I decided to post here on the UK section of this great forum, as I live here in the UK.  Hope this is OK.

I was diagnosed with a brain tumour 18 months ago.  This has been producing massive amounts of various hormones and also seriously lowered my testosterone levels.  It is being treated, but it has been a long, worrying time.

Having suffered from gynecomastia for some years, it is my belief - and that of my GP too - that the tumour/hormone issue has played a major part in the gynecomastia issue.  For this reason, I've been referred to a plastic surgeon.

Obviously, I am extremely grateful for this - especially as I am all to aware of the pressures on the NHS to find the case for plastic surgery.

However, I have a slight dilemma.  Although the most painful issue for me is the gynecomastia, the tumour also made me put on all sorts of weight in very strange - dare I say typically female places.  So I also have a lot of excess flab lower down on my chest.  Since the tumour has been treated, the weight has fallen off me with little or no dieting needed.  However, the excess skin remains.  Despite this, I have always focused on the gynecomastia issue with my GP, as this is clearly the most embarrassing issue for me right now.

Do you think I'd be missing an opportunity if I didn't speak to the surgeon about this at the same time?  Do they tend to talk to you at length, and decide how much work is needed?  Would you mention this to them, or are they likely to be very strict on what can and cannot be done? 

I don't want to appear to be "pushing the envelope" with this, or taking the micky, but it is something playing on my mind.  I appreciate that being referred to a surgeon is fantastic, and may be the start of tackling the very debilitating issue of gynecomastia.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :-)

Best wishes

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024