Author Topic: Ideal body fat level before surgery?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline TommyA

• Posting Member
Hi

I have read on these boards that it is a good idea to try and lose as much fat as possible prior to surgery to maximise the odds of getting a great job done. Does anyone know why that makes for a better result?

Any ideas on what would be ideal % body fat and how to measure it? Am not sure the BMI index reallly assess what % of your weight is fat and muscle and we know muscle weighs more than fat - so how can you tell?

Finally if you get your body fat really low specifically for the surgery then aren't able to maintain it at that level - would it not be better to have the operation done when at a weight that you can maintain quite easily?

Thanks

Offline gyneco_1001

• Bronze Member
Instead of worrying about numbers... the ideal weight is simply a weight that you are comfortable with and from which you won't fluctuate from too much.

DrBermant

Hi

I have read on these boards that it is a good idea to try and lose as much fat as possible prior to surgery to maximise the odds of getting a great job done. Does anyone know why that makes for a better result?

Any ideas on what would be ideal % body fat and how to measure it? Am not sure the BMI index reallly assess what % of your weight is fat and muscle and we know muscle weighs more than fat - so how can you tell?

Finally if you get your body fat really low specifically for the surgery then aren't able to maintain it at that level - would it not be better to have the operation done when at a weight that you can maintain quite easily?

Thanks

A BMI or Body Mass Index Calculator does not take into account fat, vs. bone, vs. muscle. That is why I suggest to all my patients planning weight loss to use a Body Fat Analyzer. For many years we have incorporated body fat analysis into our patient exams. The quite old Omron we bought many years ago just keeps on working just fine for documentation and patient education.

You are correct about getting to a weight you are happy with and can maintain. It makes little sense to lose weight, do the surgery, and put the weight back on. However, if that weight is something that has a global fat component, then surgery cannot reveal the beautiful shape of muscles under that fat. Surgery is not an alternative to weight loss. In such cases, compromise surgery is an option but the results will be smaller breasts not a flat chest that the individual who lost the weight first achieved.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline blackcountryboob

• Posting Member
Hi Dr Bermant

Just a quick question regarding this topic. I had my op done spprox two minus ago now, I was overweight at the time and still would class myself as overweight, consequently I have not ended up with a flat chest but smaller breasts. My question is if I were to lose my weight post-op will that improve my results?

Thankyou

DrBermant

Hi Dr Bermant

Just a quick question regarding this topic. I had my op done spprox two minus ago now, I was overweight at the time and still would class myself as overweight, consequently I have not ended up with a flat chest but smaller breasts. My question is if I were to lose my weight post-op will that improve my results?

Thankyou

Unfortunately, you cannot pick where the fat comes from with weight loss. In men we put fat on first on the belly and chest. We take it off there last. If surgery was done correctly and the fat thickness was normalized across the chest, and if weight does not come off as well on the breast, then weight loss can look worse. If the patient had a Crater Deformity Complication, weight loss at the walls of the crater can improve a bad result. That is why I advise my patients to lose the weight first. Losing weight is a coarse tool. Surgery is better differed for refinement. Do it the other way and you are gambling. However, getting to a better weight usually feels better. If the chest does not improve or worsens, you could always have revision surgery and pay again and be faced with another recovery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024