Author Topic: Karidis surgery yesterday - how it went  (Read 4248 times)

Offline med51

• Posting Member
Hi all

Am writing this, as I have benefited so much from other people's accounts, and thought that some new chaps here might find this useful.

Had surgery yesterday early in the morning. Once I had arrived at the hospital, I did not have to hang around much. Was shown in my room, signed forms, changed, the anesthesiologist dropped by to explain what he would do, and Dr. Karidis arrived to take photos and mark what he had to do on the chest. Down to the operating room within minutes, where a nurse explained how the whole thing would work, and the anesthesiologist did his thing. Everybody was polite, friendly and professional. I remember thinking that I should make a note of when I would fall asleep  - needless to say I could not, and, in what felt like seconds, I woke up. Was feeling a little sleepy but fine.

What I find extraordinary about the whole thing is how fine I felt straight after surgery and throughout the day. Did not feel the slightest bit of pain, or discomfort. Was not even groggy, just a tiny bit weak. Up in my room they gave me an early lunch when I asked for it, and took my blood pressure regularly.  After a few hours Dr. Karidis' nurse, Vanessa, dropped by with instructions as to how to do things at home, have a shower, take off the bandages, etc. Spent the entire day reading and listening to music.

I left the hospital at about 6 in the evening and was feeling so well, tha I took the tube to Paddington, and after half an hour on the train. Was in the train for less than two hours during which I read without feeling any discomfort. When I arrived home, went to bed and still feeling fine.

The difficult thing was to work out how to sleep. I knew I had to sleep on my back, which is not a major problem, as I have had back problems for a long time and am used to sleeping on my back. The tricky bit was to make sure that my back was elvetated. After trying countless combinations of pillows, managed to work something out (two thin pillows underneath my back, and three pillows under my head), and slept for about 5.5 hours. I took a painkiller before I went to bed, not beacuse I was in any kind of pain, but because I wanted to sleep. When I woke up , I was feeling absolutely fine.

Now, the compression vest. It is tight, but really not too bad. At no point did I think 'I really cannot stand it'. One gets used to it (and I know this is just the first day, so I might become more impatient). Have not had a shower yet, and have not seen what my chest looks like. I kind of dread it... Once I have done this, I shall update you.

I hope am not boring you on with stuff you already know. It is just that
I have found this forum, and other people's accounts of their experience, so very helpful, that I thought that somebody else might find this of some use. If so, and you have any questions, please ask.

Offline Nomoregyne

• Bronze Member
Hey mate, cheers for the update. I know I really appreciate accounts of those who have had the surgery and Im sure others do too.

Keep us updated on how your going and do you have pics by any chance?

Im having the surgery in just over two weeks......strangely enough im not even nervous about it

Offline med51

• Posting Member
That was the other extraordinary thing: was not nervous about it all! This must suggest that it felt like the right thing to do. All the best with your surgery, and, for any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Offline Nomoregyne

• Bronze Member
Any updates mate? How are your results and any chance of seeing some pics?

Offline med51

• Posting Member
It has now been four days. Things have been v smooth. No pain at all, just some stiffness when am moving my arms, and have not taken any further painkillers. Was able to go out a day after the operation, sit in a cafe, read the papers etc. The vest is not v comfortable, but is OK. Only a few times does it feel very tight on the chest. It is not noticeable under a tshirt or a shirt. Went to work today, nobody noticed anything, and I did not feel constrained in any way - in fact, had a long, productive day.

Now, how is it? Wel, it is flat! I mean, really flat! It feels unreal, as if it was part of somebody else's body.... Am very very pleased. I mean I know that things will get worse before they get better, but right now am very pleased indeed.

Vanessa (Karidis' nurse) called me on Sunday morning to ask how things were, and Dr. Karidis called on Sunday evening to make sure that everything was all right, and to tell me that the operation was completeky succesful. I must say, I appreciated this call.

As for photos, I have taken some before photos, and am going to take some after photos and shall try to post them. Sorry for the delay, but am really v bad when it comes to anything related to technology and have to try to figure out how to do this...

For any questions, do not hesitate to ask: have found this board very helpful, and am keen to be as helpful as possible too.

Offline Nomoregyne

• Bronze Member
Great to hear mate, delighted for you.

I have some questions if you wouldnt mind;

1- Is the vest visible under a work shirt?
2- When do you recieve the arnica and antibiotics? I have heard you take some antibiotics before the operation?
3- Are the vests machine washable?

I think thats all I have for now....thanks for the info!

Offline med51

• Posting Member
Cheers. On your questions

1. No, it is not visible - today I had a work shirt on, and the vest was not visible at all.
2. The arnica tablets were sent before the operation, and I started taking them after the operation. The painkillers were given to me by the nurse after the operation, but have only got one.
3. They are not machine washable, I washed them by hand in cold water, and does not take long at all.

For any more questions, just ask.

Offline theman

• Posting Member
Hey,

Thanks for posting.

I'll be having surgery in about a months time, I jus wish it would come sooner!

Was just wondering do you think shaving/trimming chest hair before the op is a good idea?

Post Op :D

Offline TheCorrectedOne

• Posting Member
Very nice! Was revived on th 14. of September  ;D
if you can't accept yourself, you're just living to die soon

Offline med51

• Posting Member
theman:

Well, had thought about that, but left it late and did not do anything. I had a look at veet, following TheTod's suggestion, but having read the instructions decided to go against it. Getting the plasters off was not v comfortable, but it was all right - and am quite hairy. I would not worry too much about it. Hope this helps.

Offline med51

• Posting Member
A week after surgery today. Everything is going well, and the use of my arms is much more comfortable now  - can put on a t-shirt or a jacket with no problem. I have also got used to the vest, so much so that at times I seem to forget that I have it on.

Offline Nomoregyne

• Bronze Member
And now for the 4k question  ;).....are you happy with your results?

Did you have a severe case pre-op and how does it look now? Flat and natural I hope!

Offline med51

• Posting Member
I am very pleased indeed - it feels very odd, as if I have on me part of somebody elses' body... Am trying not to get too excited about it, as I understand that there are ups and downs along the way.. My case was not quite severe, but more serious than moderate. I shall try to upload before and after pictures soon.

Offline jimmmyg

• Posting Member
glad your procedure went well, iv got mine next week.

One quick question, it says to report to the main reception. Is this the one where i had my consultation on the 1st floor?

Offline med51

• Posting Member
No, it is in the main entrance, just off the tube station, on the ground floor.

All the best, man - and for any other question, do not hesitate to ask.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024