Author Topic: Keeping op secret from family  (Read 2504 times)

Offline NeedToLoseWeight

• Posting Member
Hi guys. Some you might remember me from the other thread so thanks if you posted there. I had to go to another country for a family emergency so couldn't log on here.

If you guys remember I was having trouble getting the money and losing sne weight. Well I've lost about 3kg since then and have agreed to a full loan from a friend which I should get by around 10th August, so consultation that same week and then hopefully surgery done with Dr. Karidis in the same before before I have to go Uni in sept.

I had a question about keeping the surgery secret from my family. My family are very nosey and they tend to open my letters and such so I was wondering if I can ask the doc to email me everything instead? And can I also pay the money in cash? I'm getting the loan in cash and I'd prefer not to deposit it in the bank first and just pay it all up front in my consultation. Can I do that? I just don't want Dr. Karidis to send me a letter about anything.

Thanks guys, I'd never go ahead with this if it wasn't for this site.

Offline fingerit

• Bronze Member
Dude, when I was paying for my treatment and organising consultations and the surgery, they were happy to do it all over email as well as sending me receipts of payment on email too, just make sure you make it clear that you want to keep everything confidential. They also sent all the relevant pre and post of documentation via email too which was good.

Offline thetodd

Yeah likes been said insist on it, because i got a christmas card from them lol

Greetings from the Lorretto clinic!

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
I think your making a risky decision with your timing, if your consultation is the 10th onwards then odds are you won't be booked in for the op until late August (having said that, I got booked in at very short notice so maybe you'll get lucky), if you're going to Uni in september you won't even be through the inital stages of recovery imo. It's a bigger deal than you're expecting probably, and I think you want as much time as possible to recover. If you know you're getting the loan, get booked in for the consultation ASAP and discuss dates on the day. I don't know if there's any flexibility on when you get the money, but if I were you I'd do everything I could to get it done as long as possible before Uni. 4 weeks MINIMUM imo, preferabley more.

Offline NeedToLoseWeight

• Posting Member
Dude, when I was paying for my treatment and organising consultations and the surgery, they were happy to do it all over email as well as sending me receipts of payment on email too, just make sure you make it clear that you want to keep everything confidential. They also sent all the relevant pre and post of documentation via email too which was good.

So you asked them not to send you post? Btw I read your thread, gl with the recovery man great results.

Offline NeedToLoseWeight

• Posting Member
Yeah likes been said insist on it, because i got a christmas card from them lol

Greetings from the Lorretto clinic!

That's what I'm worried about :/ I need to keep all a secret. Hopefully it'll be alright though.

Offline NeedToLoseWeight

• Posting Member
I think your making a risky decision with your timing, if your consultation is the 10th onwards then odds are you won't be booked in for the op until late August (having said that, I got booked in at very short notice so maybe you'll get lucky), if you're going to Uni in september you won't even be through the inital stages of recovery imo. It's a bigger deal than you're expecting probably, and I think you want as much time as possible to recover. If you know you're getting the loan, get booked in for the consultation ASAP and discuss dates on the day. I don't know if there's any flexibility on when you get the money, but if I were you I'd do everything I could to get it done as long as possible before Uni. 4 weeks MINIMUM imo, preferabley more.

Ye I know it's a bit risky and not convenient but really, I'm leaving for Uni on the 20th of Sept so even if it is late August it still gives me more than 20 days to heal which should be enough? I'm hoping I can get booked early though, do you think I'll be able to pay for the surgery and have a date confirmed when I go for consultation? I also have to pay for my blood tests there because my doctor is refusing to do them. I might email them to see of they have any free dates in August.

Offline fingerit

• Bronze Member

So you asked them not to send you post? Btw I read your thread, gl with the recovery man great results.

Yeah mate, I just explained that I wanted to keep in confidential and they were happy to work around me. Just make sure you mention it to anyone you speak to regarding sending receipts because you might not talk to the same person every time.

Thanks mate, good luck with the consultation and surgery dude, hope everything works out.

Offline pharmerjoe

• Silver Member
I am in exactly the same boat as you, so you're not alone and likewise, I have to deal with nosey parents. They did actually ask how I like to be contacted, and i said just email, and as of now, its all paid for, and I have not received a single thing in the post, just email. They probably deal with hundreds of cases of gyno where someone does not want correspondence through the post, so they will be pretty clued up on that. As for keeping it secret, I would worry more on other aspects like hiding the fact that you're wearing a compression vest, or that you're really stiff in your movement, but you should be fine. With the uni thing, I think you should be ok. Uni for the start of it, is not going to be that strenous or taxing, tends to be no assessments or anything, and its not exactly going to be physically demanding. You just need to keep wearing the vest, and if anything, better for you to be away during that time, as you won't have nosey parents to worry about.

Offline Choda

• Silver Member
Hiding it from your parents can be done, but weather its a smart thing altogeather is another thing imo. For me it was lonely enough being there with my mother so my heart goes out to anyone who made the trip by themselves. After the surgery you feel very stiff and vunerable, I'm 5 days post op and it hasn't sunked in that I don't have moobs anymore.

Then the hard part was taking the vest off for the first time, changing the dressings, plasters, washing and trying to come to terms with whats just happened. I can't describe the feeling when you first take your vest off, its just very weird and not in a good way. I'm pleased with my results, infact over the moon but my mind hasn't come to terms with whats happened.

Every now and then it slowly dawns on you that you can wear what ever you want. All them t shirts, jumpers, I even walked down the shop the other day without any care in the world in a casual tight top which I've always wanted to wear out. But its almost as if I have to remind myself. ;D

The vest itself visually isn't a big problem, the blue vest fits easier and much more comfortable. The vest you go home in doesn't, but after 5 days or so you can easily live with it.

Its one journey getting the surgery done, but be prepared the for the healing which is the hardest part especially if your going through this process by yourself.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024