Author Topic: minor weight loss after surgery  (Read 5773 times)

Offline ihatepropecia

• Posting Member
How much weight loss/gain is ok after surgery? Im 1.5 years post op. I weighed about 180 (relatively lean) at time of procedure. 165-170 is me 100% lean.  Im 5'8-5'9.  Ive fluctuated up and down since surgery as most people do naturally.  at most I weighed around 200, and now im back to 175-180.  I keep reading about weight loss and gain after surgery but Im not sure how this applies to me personally. I work out daily, and Ive always been in decent shape no matter what I weighed. Are the negative associations with weight gain/loss after surgery more to do with MAJOR weight loss and gain? is a 15lb fluctuation in either direction ok? To expect someone to keep his weight exactly the same forever after his surgery seems a bit unrealistic...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Minor fluctuations in weight after gyne surgery should not compromise the results.  A major weight gain could potentially put some fat back on your chest.  On the other hand, losing weight and building muscle will only improve the surgical results.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline ihatepropecia

• Posting Member
thanks for your reply. I was hoping you could be a little more specific though.  You say "minor" fluctuations are ok. Does this 15lb fluctuation fall into what you would call minor? I'm trying very hard to understand all this. Im not starving myself to lose weight fast. Ive alwasy been healthy. My biggest concern is skin elasticity. It seems to be the most vague topic.  I was 28 when I had the procedure, was told to expect good results cuz i have good skin elasticity. I weighed 180lbs but was in good shape at the time also, and muscular like Ive always been. Im now leaning up more. My goal is a lean 165. Im 175 now. Ive been between 165 and 185 my whole life. Ive been lifting weights steadily since i was 18. Can you explain skin elasticity in greater depth. heres a scenario: If 2 identical people with the same BMI, weight, muscle, degree of gyno, etc... get the gyno surgery with lipo, and person A weighs 180 and person B weighs 170, would you expect different results? If so what differences? Does person A now have worse skin elasticity than person B? If so, how does that happen?  If person A then drops 10lbs post op, are they more or less equal? Hope you can clarify. Thanks.

One more thing.
I notice that some days my skin feels looser in the surgical area, and some days it feels super tight and perfect. Any insight into this perceived difference?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When I talk minor, I note a 5-10 lb weight shift.  I won't start splitting hairs about a 15 lb gain.

Skin elasticity is determined by a physician's experience.  In general, though, skin elasticity deteriorates in the presence of smoking, premature sun damage, aging and being overweight or obese.

For the comparison you discussed, my feeling is that the results of the surgery would be about the same.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Adley

Well yeah i agree with you,Its very hard to keep the same weight for a long time after the surgery.But yeah by eating the correct food you have a chance to keep yourself the way you are.I personally prefer taking something light and clean in my meals.My advice is the same for you.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024