Author Topic: Booked In with Karidis 03/11/11  (Read 3826 times)

Offline neil195

• Posting Member
Hi,

Its been 12/13 years since I developed gyne, and I've finally taken the step to get rid of it permanently. I've saved up over the last year and booked in with Karidis.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on the forums discussing living with this and the whole process and recovery of the operation. It has been a major comfort knowing that I wasn't the only one in this position and gave me the confidence to go ahead with the surgery.

It will be a week tomorrow that I go in and I still haven't told a single person. I've booked a week off from work and will hopefully be back to normal mobility by that stage so no-one will be able to tell that I am recovering from surgery. I live with my parents and elderly grandmother and I'm unsure how I'll be able to conceal it from then.

Has anyone had a similar experience of keeping it a secret from their family? Or would it be better to just be honest about it? Honestly I don't think they would understand why I am doing it, the costs involved or the risk for a 'cosmetic procedure'. I am booked in for 7am and still not sure how to explain why I'm leaving the house so early, or how to explain my post surgery state when I return later that evening - any suggestions?

Offline Swarley

• Bronze Member
Best of luck - hope everything goes well.

I'm going in for surgery with Karidis on the 8th, and that day can't come soon enough!

I thought long and hard about who to tell.
But after a while I realized that it's not my fault that I developed breast tissue. If I'd developed cancer instead, should I feel embarrassed about that?

So I've told a few people who I'm closest too. I sat them down, explained that I've been very uncomfortable with my chest, that I've done a lot of research, found out that it's gyne (and explained what that is), and that I'm going in for surgery with one of the best and most experienced surgeons in the country. They took it pretty well, asked some questions, and basically offered to help in any way they can.

Obviously I don't know if your family will react like this, but I'd say it's best to tell them anyway - give them the whole story.
It sounds like you're ready to do this on your own anyway, so what's the worst that could happen?
Surgery with Alex Karidis 8/11/11. Currently recovering.

Offline Melono

• Posting Member

Offline neil195

• Posting Member
Thanks Melono, just saw your your before and after pics - those are amazing results! Another great job by Karidis, I can't wait to start hitting the gym once it's all healed!

Yeah you are right Swarley, I shouldn't be embarrassed about it -but at the same time I'm not sure what the reaction will be and just don't want to risk even the slight possibility of ridicule or having my personal issue be a subject of conversation amongst my close friends or family. I think I've pretty much made my mind up that I'm going to just ride this one out on my own - with the help of the forum community. Such a relief to have a group who are going/gone through the same experience.

Will have to post some before pics when I get a chance this weekend. Good luck with the op, yeah I'm counting down the days too - it's weird mix of fear and excitement but can't wait!

Not sure what I'm going to do on the first day - I guess I need to stock on some movies. What's you're plan for the first day of recovery?

Offline Swarley

• Bronze Member

Not sure what I'm going to do on the first day - I guess I need to stock on some movies. What's you're plan for the first day of recovery?

I'm pretty much going to see how it goes. I'll be upgrading my love film package next week so that I should have a few DVDs and xbox games around. I also bought some books to read. If I feel up for it, I might go out for a walk, but if I just want to crash out, I'll do that instead!

I understand what you're saying about your family. I was scarred of the same thing. But you know what I
decided I'd tell those closest to me, and if my family start taking about it, or even ridicule me for it, I'm quite
happy to tell them to go f**k themselves.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck & let us know how you're getting on!

Offline chopper

• Silver Member
My missus knew about me having an OP and I told my parents and sister. If you can't tell your family your worries then who can you tell?
Your parents will love you unconditionally (I'm a parent) so tell them if you want to talk to someone. It would break their hearts knowing you went under sedative for an operation that wasn't your fault, no doubt they will be feeling a little guilty you have gyne and they will know it's obviously a big deal to you based on how much you are prepared to spend to rid off it. Once they see how far down the line you are with things, i doubt they will belittle the gyne if they can see it's upsetting you.

I did the whole operation trip on my own there and back on the day, that wasn't really an issue. Be warned you will probably be elated a few months after surgery and you will probably end up telling your parents or close family anyway out of sheer happiness, so if you want some support now, go talk to them. If you can't talk to family, then who can you talk to?

You are in good hands with Karidis mate, so have no worries there :)

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
Congrats on booking in mate !!!
At the end of the day you should do what you feal comfortable with.
Everybody has different levels of closeness to their family and friends.
I'm booked in for surgery in November and only felt comfortable telling and discussing with my wife,
even though I get on great with my family and have some great friends from as far back as high school
I just didn't feel the need to tell / discuss something which I know deep down I have wanted doing for so long.
I would much sooner chat on this forum to people in the same situation,
but I suppose thats just how I feel.     

Offline thetodd

Tell your close family members, NO-ONE ELSE lol

it doesnt matter how close your mates are how many times have you haerd this

"yeah dont tell so and so, but!"

Theres no need for anyone to know really apart from the people that are looking after you. The months leading up to the op your in cloud cuckoo land worrying about saving money and whether the surgery will be ok. The day comes and thats it, no big thing its just recovery then which is the pain.

Good luck, you dont need it though just take it easy
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline neil195

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies guys - it's great to hear you're different perspectives.

Swarley - I admire you're courage dude, but I think I've got a cover story in mind now and I'm just going to roll with it. 

Chopper- I understand from a parent's POV that it would hurt not knowing what I was going through. But I genuinely feel this is my personal journey which I'm just going to ride out - maybe its not right but I think ignorance is bliss- I don't need/want them to worry about my impending surgery. I might approach the subject in the future with my mum but not for the time-being.

I'm confident in Karidis's ability and I know there's a ton of guys on here who can vouch for his results. So I'm not too scared about the whole procedure and genuinely feel in safe hands. I think I just need to mentally prepare myself for the long recovery journey ahead...maybe easier said than done...

Can't wait for the 3rd now! Only 4 more work days left till the op.  ;D

Can't believe I can't drink this weekend though - oh well I guess sacrifices need to be made :-\

Thanks for the support & feedback - will keep you all posted!

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
All the best for the 3rd Nov mate, your nearly at the other side, how are you feeling?

p.s. don't forget to take the before pics mate, will be to late in a couple of days !!!!!!

Offline neil195

• Posting Member
Pre-Op Pics - Surgery tomorrow morning!

The last night with the moobs  ;D

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
You probably didn't have the best nights sleep mate from what people have said on this site but today is the big step to normality, think you've picked the best bloke for the job, all the best.

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
How did it go Neil ?  R u up and about ? Know its early days mate.

Offline neil195

• Posting Member
Hi, sorry for the lack of updates. Surgery went fine and I'm really happy with the results so far (I know it's going to change a lot in the next few months).

I got in for 7 and went to my room, met the anaesthesiologist and Karidis came in shortly after to let me know I was first up - he did the usual line drawings on you're chest and took a couple of before snaps.

I got taken up to the surgery room and got some drugs pumped in me - they work real quick! Next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room with a sore throat (they put a tube down you're throat during the operation) and my chest was pretty sore. They gave me some morphine for the chest pain which took a while to kick in but I felt fine once it did. I slept a little back in my room and enjoyed lunch and watched some lame day time TV. All in all it was a quick and pleasant experience (as much as surgery can be), all the staff were really friendly and re-assuring and I was out of the hospital by around 5.     

The last few days post surgery have been a little rough, not sure if it was just all the meds wearing off, the uncomfortable sleep or the annoying vest. Possibly a combination of the above, saying that I'm three days post-op now and feel a lot better now. Still can't raise my arms over my head but I'm slowly improving and the bruising is looking a lot on my chest.

Have put up some 1 day post op pics, will update the pics in a couple of days once its settled down a bit more... 

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
Hi Neil,
Early days mate I know, how are you coming along ?
kind of using you and others as a kind of guide to gauge my own recovery.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024