Author Topic: Surgery Complete - 03/03/12 - With Pre and Post-Op Pics :)  (Read 9926 times)

Offline Dracksus

• Posting Member
  Hey guys  :)

First off I want to thank the people who have participated in these forums over the years. Their output has been great in acknowledging this is the right decision and alleviating any fears about surgery.

I first discovered this forum about 5 years ago, but was very naive about gyno. and how to solve it, but quickly discovered surgery was the only route to completely remove the problem.

I first noticed I'd developed gyno. when I was about 12-13, and since then it's been the usual story of baggier tops, pulling them forward away from the chest and hunching my shoulders forward.
As I was naturally slim when younger it almost made it look more bizarre.
Fortunately I never let it get to me too much, and concealing it just became very natural - of course however I've missed out on some things but not to any great extent.

But to cut a long story short, recently I've upped the weight training, toned up a bit but due to this the gyno. is somewhat more pronounced due to extra pec. muscle behind the gyno. pushing it out.
So now I'm 24 and I've finally put £5k by for the op.  :)
As I'm guessing I won't need any lipo and I'm planning to go with Dr. Karidis, I'm assuming I'll be charged around the £4.2k-£4.3k mark, plus travel expenses (I'm from the Glasgow area).

So yeah that's a condensed version of my story, thought I'd pop it up and share my journey as I go about my op. I plan to arrange a consultation with Dr. Karidis within the next few weeks (once I get this cast off, as I've broken a few fingers).

I'll provide some pics - damned puffy nipples  :P:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:57:44 AM by Dracksus »

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
Hi Drackus,
sounds like you've already completed two of the hardest bits of your journey already, getting the money together and finding a good surgeon with proven results. Its a long trip for you down to London for the consultation which only takes 20mins but its worth it, get it booked in as soon as you can mate. Next stage is get your surgery date booked, have the op and then start the long road to recovery.
Best thing about having the surgery this time of year is its easy to hide wearing the vest under layers of clothes which would be harder and more uncomfortable to do in summer, also you will be something like all healed up by summer to chill out with your top off and feal great !!!  all the best mate .

Offline Dracksus

• Posting Member
Thanks Mickydubs :) - Looks like your healing process is coming along nicely, it's good you're being realistic with what to expect during the process.

Anyways guys, been a busy December for me with a new job, Christmas etc. But just updating to let you all know I've booked my consultation with Kiridis for 11th. January! - Bit of a pricey trek getting down and back up for a 20 mins consultation but I've been saving for this for a long time now, so what's a few more quid for a train going to do? :)

Feels good that this is finally being set into motion. Now I'm just looking forward to getting a date for the op. planned and getting on with the healing process.
I saw most of you guys reckon the usual wait time between the consultation and the op. is somewhere between 2-4 weeks. I'm hoping to get away with my GF for a week sometime around mid-Feburary for a small city break if I can get the time off work. So guess I can maybe just try and go for an op. date after that if I can get the time off... but well I'll just need to see how it all pans out :)

Anyways thought I'd just update you all so you know how it's going.

Offline namsoni

• Bronze Member
Similar situation here: booked consultation for the 11th (though live in London, so not much of a trek) and off to Berlin in middle of Feb so will have to have surgery after that. Hope it all goes well for you mate, and who knows, maybe our paths will cross at the clinic!

Offline Bikkembergs

• Bronze Member
I'm 24 and will be going under the blade on Jan 14 as you two have just left  :)

Good luck mate ;)

Offline Dracksus

• Posting Member
Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words, hope you're all going ok! - Just a quick update, can't believe how fast times flies by sometimes!

Well my consultation was fine and went by very quickly! Thanks to these forums practically all my queries had already been answered! Dr. Karidis was great and down to earth.
Transport was a breeze also fortunately, as coming down from Glasgow I was anticipating some sort of nightmare along the way.
Virgin Train down just took over 4 hours, and using the subway from Euston to get to the hospital was simple enough.

Anyways, I've had my bloods etc. done and finalised all my payments! - Surgery is booked for Sat. 3rd of March at 10:30am. Feels amazing to have an actual date now which I can focus on and say "I'll be Gyno free by then!".
Not feeling nervous yet, not sure if I will tbh as I'm so determined to just have this done now!

Going away for a small holiday, flight leaves early tomorrow morning and I'm away for 12 nights. So by the time I'm back I will only have 5 days to go!

Anyways that's how it's going with me, hope you guys are either recovering nicely or progressing towards getting your surgery done :)

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Hey mate,
I've also go my surgery on the same day as you but my admission is at 11.30.....i'm hoping there hasn't been any kind of mixup or anything........

at least we can see how healing times differ...

Offline Bikkembergs

• Bronze Member
That's only an admission time though ZM. You probably won't go down until 1pm. Still a crazyly congested schedule though...he must be freakin minted haha.

Congratulations on your date though Drackus, what a great way to celebrate with a nice holiday! Enjoy it and all the best with your op  :)

Offline Birmingham

• Bronze Member
It's good two people are going in at the start of March I can just look at your pics and see how my chest will look like 15 days later lol

Good luck mate

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Bikkembergs, i did check with Nicola time and i'm told i'll be going into theatre around 1.30pm.

Making just under £6,500 is not bad for couple of hours work...

Offline Dracksus

• Posting Member
Hey guys !

Well here I am on the other side  :)

Unfortunately I had to work until 10am the night before and was catching a 4:26am train down from Glasgow to arrive in London for 9:10am so was pretty shattered as I don't think I got any real sleep at all!

Anyways arrived in London and discovered the Victoria Line was closed for Sat/Sun, but worked my way around it and used the Circle Line to get to Baker St. and then the Jubilee line to get to St. John's Wood.
After that I arrived at the hospital and was directed to the upstairs reception where Kiridis' nurses would be waiting. It was the left turn half way up the corridor from the main reception. You then can either get the lift or stairs up to the first floor, turn right and turn right again and you'll see the desk. :)

I was immediately brought to my room. Nice wall-mounted flat-screen TV with an en suite bathroom, not too shabby :P I filled out my selection for lunch on the menu and then shortly after Karidis came in to make sure I was fine, plus take some photos and mark up my chest. Told me I'd be fine and that he could make a big difference, nice guy :)
Shortly after the nurse came in to give me my surgery garments and I was ready to go see the anaesthetist around 11:30am.
They kept me talking as they did their work and before long I was given the anesthetic. At first I felt nothing, then a slight dizzy feeling and then I was gone haha.
I guess I went under around 12pm, but I awoke around 1:30pm maybe? All gets a bit confusing really. I remember waking up and talking to a nurse for a while, feeling really sleepy. But I didn't fall asleep again and after 5-10 mins I was taken back to my room where I relaxed. At first I still felt very tired but within an hour I felt almost normal again.

Another nurse came in every now and again to check my blood pressure and temperature and I just chilled and watched the end of the Arsenal vs Liverpool game, (cracking shot from van Persie :o) and then watched Murray get beaten off of Federer (so he was Scottish that day haha :P)
My soup and club sandwich were superb and I had the fruit at the end which was great also.
My train back up was at 6:30pm so at around 5pm I told the nurse I was ready to go. She persuaded me to take a taxi back to Euston and had reception arrange one to pick me up at 5:15pm which was nice :)
Train journey home was fine, I took Mickeybuds advice and got 1st Class, so had plenty of room and the coach was quiet.

Last night I felt ok but the vest felt very tight and kinda sore at my left armpit. I noticed the middle of the vest was more towards my right side however, so undone it and then centered it back up which helped a bit.
Sleeping on my back was a pain. At first I fell asleep quickly (as I hadn't slept properly for like 44 hours :S) but after about 4-5 hours I woke up and only managed to doze in and out of sleep for the next 4 hours before I decided to get up.
Pain was lessened to almost nothing the next morning also which was nice :)

Anyways, so today I have taken off the dressing and had a good look, so far I'm very pleased with the results :D There is next to no pain, so I may stop taking the pain killers for now as I saw ZM say that they may be causing problems with getting to sleep.

Here's the good part now, the piccies: :P

With compression vest and padding on:

Padding underneath vest:

Padding removed:

Armpit incisions:

Incision plasters removed:

There you go guys, hope you enjoyed lol.

Now just time to heal and follow post-op instructions and hopefully the results will be good.

A big thanks for the guys who have been through all this already and provided such invaluable information for the rest of us! And good luck to those who will be getting theirs done soon!
All I can say is, if you thinking of doing it, then just do it - it's worth every penny so get saving as much as you can!

PS, I'm a bit confused with how long I'm to take the antibiotic pills. How long did other people take them for? Thanks!

Offline zm

• Silver Member
antibiotics for 5 days mate....1 tab 3 times a day.
looking flat mate..

Offline linkin

• Posting Member
Great results mate! Looks awesome!  ;D

Out of interest how many antibiotic pills were you given? I was only given 3, had to take 1 on the evening of the surgery (sat) and two the next day (am & pm yesterday, Sunday). That's all!
Did you guys (ZM & Dracksus) get a load of them then?!! Seems strange considering we were all on the same day... ???
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:22:17 AM by linkin »

Offline ChestMan

• Silver Member
Dracksus,

Thanks for posting you story. I've got my surgery booked for late April and these posts really help keep me positive.

I know it is early days, but how are the nipple incisions? They don't look too bad from your pics. These are one of my biggest fears (in addition to the GA), as I don't want anyone to know that I've had surgery.

Cheers. BM

(sorry - had to re-edit post...so many of you guys went under the knife on Sat, I'm mixing you all up..)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024