Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 2661 times)

Offline HelpPlz87

Hi, im 24, almost 25 and have had gynecomastia since i was a teen. I have been extremely self conscious about my body since i was young. I hated gym, having to change in front of my peers was torture, and having to shower after football practice was always a pain. This issue has affected my self esteem and my social life. i wont go out swimming for fear of being seen or being questioned about why i wear a shirt to swim, my excuse usually being "i burn easy", lame....

So im at a point in my life where im ready for a change. i have recently contacted a local surgeon with questions about the procedure, but the cost is more than i can afford currently. My question is if my case could be remedied with exercise or if surgery is my best bet.

Oh, one last thing i want to mention that leads to me being self conscious, my nipples, they are sort of inverted i guess. really the gyne is more of a concern to me than my nipples, but i figure its worth mentioning.

Thanks

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
I would buy a set of weights or join the gym and immediately start working out with a goal in mind. In the meantime, you can put money aside and revisit the situation at a later time, at which point you will be leaner and a better candidate for surgery (if you go that route).

Jump rope, use the eliptical/stairs machines, etc, and eat lean meats and cut out junk food/soft drinks if you do and you will be on your way towards a healthier lifestyle.

Good luck!

Offline HelpPlz87

thanks for the reply. i definitely agree about getting more exercise into my routine. regardless of gynecomastia i know that i should be in better shape overall, part of what im hoping to change.

this last year i have dropped about 50lbs, i had gotten all the way to just over 300 and that number scared me so i took up bicycling and it made a huge difference. im now hover around 250 but would like to try and drop another 50 to get around 200. with the weight i did drop, i saw no reduction in my chest, but i didnt really do any exercises that focused on my chest either.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, when you were at 300 lbs, you not only had excess fat on your chest -- you actually grew breast tissue as well.  When you lose weight, the breast tissue remains but the fat tissue may diminish.  Hence, you will always have excess breast tissue no matter how much weight is lost or how much exercise you do.

Also, when you were 300 lbs, you stretched out your skin -- which is a one way street.  As you lose weight, your breasts will droop -- no matter how much exercise you do.

When you have gotten down to your comfortable and stable weight, you will be healthier and it will be time to consider surgery. Surgery will probably be more involved than a standard gyne procedure because you will have to address not only excess tissue, but a reconstruction of your chest to deal with lax skin and a very low nipple position.

At that time, you should definitely consult an experienced gyne surgeon for an opinion.

Best of luck with your weight loss program!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline HelpPlz87

Thank you for your advice Dr. Jacobs, i really appreciate it.

By any chance could you recommend a surgeon in Austin Texas? i had contacted a local plastic surgeon about a consult, Dr. Kelly Tjelmeland, but after sending in a consult request, i started having second thoughts about surgery as my first option, the easy way out i suppose.

Thanks again.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Surgery should only be done after you are down to and stable at your desired weight.  That may take some time but it is worthwhile.

As for surgeons in Austin, I am not personally acquainted with any -- but you can get some referrals by calling the American Society of Plastic Surgeons at 888 4 PLASTIC.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:38:54 PM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
hey poster,

regarding a gyne surgeon in Austin, Texas, look up Dr. Caridi. I just had my surgery with him this past Wednesday, and so far, I'm very happy with the results.  Check out his website.  There you can find pics, and on his youtube page, he has videos of himself doing the surgery. 

By the way, if you meet with him, don't be put off with his disposition.  I'll be honest, when I first met him, I thought he was really arrogant, and yes, I still kind of feel that way about him, but I will say, he definitely knows his stuff. From all the gyne surgeons I researched in Austin, he was by far the most qualified.  Also, he works with some really talented people.  The anesthesiologist, Dr. Boysen, was top notch. She's very qualified, and very caring. 

Offline HelpPlz87

Thank you everyone for your advice, i will get my but in gear and work on dropping some pounds and hopefully after that success i will be ready to make the next move on surgery.

I truly appreciate all of your advice.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024