Author Topic: Consultation Booked Karidis 22/02/2012 - Step 1  (Read 2245 times)

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Hi,

So plucked up the courage and booked the consultation with Karidis for the 22nd Feb 2012.  Also booked the train tickets as I will be travelling from the North West so no going back.

If it all goes to plan then I'm getting my bloods done there and will book in for Surgery.  Hopefully he has some slots available in March as i just want to get this done. 

At the moment nervous/excited but worried at the same time. 

Thanks to everyone on this forum.  Without the contribution from people on this forum I dont think I would have ever taken the step to actually go down the surgery route.

Will keep everyone posted...

Offline Bikkembergs

• Bronze Member
Congratulations Dexs. I'm sure it'll go well for you.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Had a call from Karidis office today confirming my consultation.  I asked if i could book a slot for March for surgery and they confirmed they should be able to fit me in at the end on March, which suits me fine, since i can try and shed a bit of excess weight.

They wouldnt let me pay for the surgery date until I have had my consultation, which makes sense.  I'm going to get the bloods done there but it will be before the consultation as i have the best part of 1.5 hours to make it back to Euston for the train back. 

Anyone else booked in for end of March surgery or a consultation on Wednesday 22nd?

Also will need a cheap hotel for the night before surgery.  The usual budget hotels are all around £80+, which seem excessive as i'll only be in the hotel from 23:00 and checking out at 07:00 once my op is booked.

Offline Birmingham

• Bronze Member
Hmm when I was booking my consultation in my email I wrote that I have exams and need to have it done as soon as possible and could only come down on a Saturday and one of his assistants emailed me back saying that they had one date in February and it's likely to get booked so if I wanted to make sure it was mine I had to pay the deposit for Dr. Karidis as soon as possible so not sure why they wouldn't let you book it before consultation.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Not sure why they were reluctant but she did say I need to have my consultation first.  Maybe because you wanted a Saturday slot, which are probably in high demand. 

All I want is a slot in March and I want to be the first in surgery.  I hate waiting and would prefer it all happened quick before I start talking myself out of it.

I did a quick search of trains from the North West and could get a return inc 1st class for the return leg for £55 so thats a result.  Just need a find a cheap hotel!

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
2 days left until my consultation!  Cant wait just want to get there, have the chat, bloods and book a date for Surgery.  I'll have something to look forward to then and hopefully book a holiday with my mates comes April.

Anyone else going for a consultation on the 22n Feb?

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Hi All,

So I had my consultation with Karidis today and all went very well.  Took me just over 2 hours to London Euston and then about 20 mins to St Johns Wood tube.  Easiest way I found to St Johns Wood was to catch the tube from Euston Sq, which is approx 400m from Euston itself.  Then All you need to do is catch the Circle/Hammersmith/Metropolitan like to Baker st, then jump on the Jubilee line to St Johns Wood.  Less busy and much quicker.

Arrived around 1pm to St Johns & Liz hospital.  To get to Karidis reception you need to walk straight through the hospital, turn right at the Pharmacy and then catch a lift to the 1st floor.

I asked the receptionist that I was pushed for time so is it possible to get the bloods out of the way.  She said this was fine but I needed to fill the forms out first.  Allow 5-10 mins to complete the forms plus the £75 donation (I only had £20 notes so paid £80) but its a good cause so I didn't have any issues.

So next had the bloods done, which was very quick and the woman was lovely.  Sat down and Karidis himself came to call me.  I cut to the chase and told him I have gyne and need to be get rid of them.  He asked if I have any medical conditions etc and I explained I have gallstones, which I was worried could prevent surgery.  He said thats not a problem.

Next the examination, which was straight forward.  He said I there is gland and that he could get me flat.  He did however say that I should get the fat under the arms done as well for good results.  I said ideally yes but from a financial point of view I think i'll stick with the gyne and work that off through the gym.  He said no worries I'll make sure I make it look good so it's all contoured in.  Top bloke if you ask me as there was no pressure just honest feedback.

I know I'm slightly over weight and he did say thats not an issue and also correctly guess my weight.  I'm going to try and shift a few pounds before surgery.  He did say that most people loose weight once they have had surgery as it gives them that extra spur.  Again very honest and straight forward talking.  Overall a very nice man straight to the point, no pressure and very confident.

Next back to reception, whilst i waited for one of the receptionist.  Nicola then called me in and we talked about dates and options etc.  There were two dates offered to me Tues 27th March or Thursday 29th March.  I opted for the 29th and was then asked if I wanted all the information emailed or posted.  Nice touch!

I also asked for a sick note for when I have surgery and again very helpful and said thats not an issue and we'll make sure it doesn't state the type of surgery or even the name of Karidis in case people Google it.  How thoughtful.

So paid the deposit of £1k on my card and the rest is 15 days before surgery so all booked and no going back.

I'm going to get myself to the gym tomorrow and start training to loose this spare tyre before surgery.  Also going to book my train tickets early so should cost me around £70.  Just need a cheap hotel so probably book into a travel lodge.

So there it is folks.  I cant believe this is happening and I have actually booked the surgery!

I will nearer the time post before and after pics (once I've shaved my chest).

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their posts.  Without this board I dont think I would have taken this step.

Dexs

Offline SDJ

• Bronze Member
thats great news mate!

I have my consultation with Dr Levick on the 5th march, and hopefully be having surgery end of march/april time.

best of luck!

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Cheers SDJ all the best on your consultation, I'm sure you will be fine.  It's a massive step but a huge relief once its booked.

I've just booked my hotel and train.  4* star hotel £64 for the night on lastminute.com and booked single cheap to Lodon £14 and 1st class for the return leg (thanks mickydubbs for the tip).  Total £77 so thats me set. 

I'll be hitting the gym tomorrow for the next 5 weeks and try and get into the best shape possible prior to surgery.

Offline scotty1986

• Posting Member
(You'll all have to forgive me I've been a lurker on the forums for a while but have decided to sign up in order to get motivation to somehow get the money for surgery.) Loved reading that info about the consultation Dex, there's something vicarious hearing about other peoples anticipation of surgery and finally getting rid of this condition!Best of luck in March.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Cheers Scotty1986, Its good to start thinking about surgery if it's bothering you.  I'm 32 and one half of me thinks i should have had this done years ago.  I got my pack through the post today so it's all booked and no going back.

I know allot of people would love to have surgery but money is the issue.  I know some people have got an interest free credit card and paid for surgery this way.  I know there are some good deals about where there are offering 0% for over 15 months or something and that way you can pay monthly without being stung on the interest.  Obviously better than a loan.

Nothing is impossible if you truly believe.....

Offline Bikkembergs

• Bronze Member
Glad it went well for you Dexs  :)

I think you made the right choice with the Thursday rather than Tuesday, better to have the weekend to recover.

Good luck.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Thanks Bikkembergs I agree Thursday is a much better day for surgery rather than mid week.  I've been given a week sick note as well but i think ill just take Thursday to Monday off.  I did request that I wanted to be first in surgery but after receiving my pack my admission time is 8am.  I might give them a call and see if there is a way to change this especially as i have a long way to travel back.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024