Author Topic: Trip Report of a 24 Year Old: Karidis Surgery on 11th August (DONE)  (Read 10167 times)

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
You're here one minute spilling your heart about a problem that you've lived with for a decade and then the next minute you're through surgery and never to be seen again. Well here's my story... Feel free to skip to the end for cliff notes and pics ;)

The 90s

The first memory I have of being teased was when I must have been about 11 years old. We had just finished sport and taken showers etc when a guy in my class pointed at me and said I had 'burger nipples' ... at 11 years old, I was a little bit like 'what the f**k' - at the time I was more concerned about growing my first pube and the length of my nob than the size of my nips. So I was more confused than anything, but for some reason that moment sticks in my mind.

Secondary School

S**t starts getting real. I remember covering my moobs during a swimming class and feeling ridiculously insecure for the first time ever. The old crossed arms routine fooled noone and the moment I let down my guard I had a comment from some kid about the size of my nipples. There was some light relief in the fact that this guy's nips were so small they were practically invisible and someone else was kind enough to step in and point that out to him ;)

But unfortunately, from this point on my insecurity became pretty deep seated. I began to avoid changing rooms and showers pretty regularly - whenever I found myself in the 'horrifying' situation of having to get changed, I'd make myself scarce and hide in a corner somewhere.

University

If there was one time I wish I had got rid of this it was between secondary school and university. I had half a dozen relationships during my time at uni that were ended because of my insecurities; I found the best way to deal with my moobs was to treat girls like crap and make them feel like it was their fault and not mine. :-\ I was at the age where I'm starting to have sex and my god have there been some awkward 't-shirt moments' ... gynos know what I'm talking about!!

At some point during Uni I managed to figure out the life saving technique of rubbing your nipples in a fury to make them contract - this gave my chest a better contour. It also gave me the confidence to take my shirt off for 30 second stints before having to top up again. Unfortunately, doing this requires a lot of attention, and going floppy was an unwelcome addition to the embarrassment.

Anyway, at University I met my girlfriend of 5 years. For the next 4 and a half years she never commented on anything, my initial floppiness was put down to 'condoms' and my reluctance to remove my top was due to 'pectus excavatum' (hole in the chest), not something I care about in the slightest.

Spilling the beans

About 2 months ago I finally plucked up the courage to tell the misses what's been on my mind all these years. To be completely honest, the embarrassment of keeping something so secret from someone I love so much was enough to bring me to tears. I had been on this forum a week before and had never considered surgery - but it didn't take long to realise it was the only solution - hiding insecurities is one thing but hiding surgery was a bit too far, so I felt that I had to tell her.

Anyway, she seemed to think there wasn't a problem; she had never noticed a problem in the past and didn't think I needed surgery. Of course I felt very differently and while she was a little worried for me at first, she came around to being very supportive. So I ended up booking a consultation with Dr. Karidis; and below, I'll list off some of the most useful information I can think of for those in the same position that I've been in.

Consultation with Dr. Karidis

First impression: Holy shit I'm in the same clinic as other people getting boob jobs and rhinoplasties. This certainly was a surreal moment - I never considered myself to fall into this category but I guess it is what it is, this is beauty surgery and it certainly hit home.

The Consultation: It cost £75, it's not cheap and it's certainly not long. My consultation with Dr. Karidis lasted around 10 to 15 minutes. I didn't feel like this was a problem though, as I had read so much information on this forum that I felt pretty comfortable with everything. Some interesting info that isn't mentioned too often:

1. Dr. Karidis offers local and twilight anaesthetics. I believe these are less expensive than general anaesthetic. (I'm going with GA)

2. Dr. Karidis' diary is flexible. If you are desperate to have surgery sooner rather than later, you may find spots to squeeze in if you ask his secretary kindly enough!

3. Write down your questions. It's probably obvious, but I went in thinking that I could remember everything that I wanted to ask. For me, there was so much to take in from the whole experience that I couldn't remember anything.

4. Karidis is pronounced 'KAH-REE-DEEZ' not 'KARRY-DIS' as I initially thought :D

I will update with info on the surgery and post surgery once it happens. Apologies for the long winded story, it was particularly therapeutic for me going through everything leading up to this day :)

Cliff notes:

- Got moobs at 11
- Still got moobs at 24
- Going for surgery with Karidis

Pics:

My plan by August 11th is to be in the best shape of my life and to take it from there, the first two pictures are in my slightly tubbier days. There are so many things that I can't wait to do after all this is over.

If you can't see the pics it might be because you need to register a free account and login.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:06:07 PM by rasputin »
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
Nice read. Wish you all the best. I have PE too. Does it effect your breathing during exercising/running/

Good luck, thanks for sharing.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Nice read. Wish you all the best. I have PE too. Does it effect your breathing during exercising/running/

Good luck, thanks for sharing.

Hey man, thanks for reading. I'm trying to run as much as possible at the moment, around 15-20K a week; to be completely honest I haven't had any problems breathing. I do cough a lot while running but I'm putting that down to hayfever.

Do you have some trouble breathing, how long have you been exercising for?

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
I've been exercising a lot for the last year, and played sports up until 16, but I experience panic breathing when I exercise and do endurance training, circuit training etc, and I always wondered if it was because of my pectus excavatum.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
I've been exercising a lot for the last year, and played sports up until 16, but I experience panic breathing when I exercise and do endurance training, circuit training etc, and I always wondered if it was because of my pectus excavatum.

This might be more an anxiety issue? I'm pretty sure that PE is totally fine unless it's as severe as something like the image on the Wikipedia page.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:25:12 AM by rasputin »

Offline Brownie

• Posting Member
Hey Rasputin,

Great post. I have my surgery booked for the 9th of august. quick question, do u live in london? any concerns regarding transport post-op? cuz im gna be staying in cardiff and ill have to catch a train back and im kinda worried of traffic issues due to the olympics and what not. any advice?

Offline LondonGuy

• Posting Member
Hey Rasputin,

Great post. I have my surgery booked for the 9th of august. quick question, do u live in london? any concerns regarding transport post-op? cuz im gna be staying in cardiff and ill have to catch a train back and im kinda worried of traffic issues due to the olympics and what not. any advice?

Generally the staff try to prevent you from leaving alone post-op, even though you would probably be fine. Cardiff is certainly not close!
I intended to get the tube and then a train after my op, but they insisted on me getting a cab to a place where I could be picked up by someone. Apparently a fair amount of people seem fine, but faint before they get to the exit door!

Offline Brownie

• Posting Member
Hey LondonGuy,

Thnx for the reply. Im not going to be alone pre-op or post-op, my brother is going to be with me the entire time. im just worried that i might miss the train back to cardiff cuz of traffic and stuff

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Hey man, thanks for reading - I live in south London but I'm actually staying at a hotel, it just makes my life a lot easier as it's a 5 minute walk from the hospital. Also I figure I'm chucking £4k at this why not chuck a couple hundred more!

I would probably recommend lodging up if you can, it saves all the stress and is so much more convenient. I'm staying at the Danubius, unfortunately I couldn't see anything cheaper in the nearby area!! :S

Good luck with your OP man, post up a trip report too - would love to hear how you get on.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. It's now 8 days until the op and I've got an issue, I have an event on Thursday and on Friday evening I'm going to the olympics. Somehow I have to avoid alcohol, how the hell do I do that when I'm never one to turn away drinks. I need some antibiotics or something... any advice?!

Offline enom

• Bronze Member
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. It's now 8 days until the op and I've got an issue, I have an event on Thursday and on Friday evening I'm going to the olympics. Somehow I have to avoid alcohol, how the hell do I do that when I'm never one to turn away drinks. I need some antibiotics or something... any advice?!

Liver infection?

Or for a bit of a laugh, just keep a straight face and say you're training for the 2016 olympics. Hopefully people will laugh it off and accept you don't want to drink at the moment :D

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
I'll have a look for some pretty symptomless liver infections ;)

Anymore suggestions please shout them out...

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
My excuse is antibiotics for an ear infection... and I even have some old antibiotics lying around!

Also completely wrecked my lower back from playing squash yesterday - excuse sorted if anyone spots the vest ;)

Offline enom

• Bronze Member
My excuse is antibiotics for an ear infection... and I even have some old antibiotics lying around!

Also completely wrecked my lower back from playing squash yesterday - excuse sorted if anyone spots the vest ;)

Not long now for yourself!

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Not long at all! Surprisingly unnerved by the whole thing, at least for now. I'm feeling excited but its all a little surreal, I can't put my finger on it. Strange to think that this time next week I will be 'on the other side', can't wait to share my story whatever the outcome.

Just got back from the boxing quarter finals - round 1 of excuse for not drinking is a success! 2 more to go :S

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024