Author Topic: My Karidis story: Surgery DONE 27/09/12. (Pre-op pics on p1, post-op from p3 on)  (Read 19699 times)

Offline kniveshurt

• Posting Member
Hi guys,

As I've found this site such an invaluable resource when researching and eventually booking my gyne surgery, I thought it was only right that I share my story here too.

Background

So I've had gyne since I was about 11 or 12 I'd say, but only really known it was gyne for about the last 10 years. I was an overweight kid and for many years I put it down to that. Even when I'd lost the weight, I kind of assumed it was a just hangover from my fat kid days. I've struggled with my weight all my life (I'm 31 now), been fat and thin, yet still have always had these dreaded moobs.

I'm sure you can all empathise when I say it's had a massive effect on my confidence. I've never been topless in public, can't swim because I've never been to a swimming pool, almost always keep a t-shirt on when I'm having sex with my partner and have a hard time even looking at myself in the bathroom mirror. So when I found out that these moobs were an actual condition called gynecomastia and, more importantly, that it was a fixable condition, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to have surgery.

I've wanted surgery for probably the last 10 or so years, but it's only now that I've been able to save up enough money to afford it. (I was at uni, then travelled SE Asia for a few years, so never had the spare cash.)  I'm settled now though (in London) and have a job where I can afford to put a bit aside, so my new year's resolution for 2012 was to finally do something about it.

I did a lot of research about where to get it done. In fact, I was very close to booking it in Poland (for about £2k cheaper than what I've actually ended up paying) but I had too many doubts about the procedures and the aftercare, especially after some dealings with one of the doctors. (Plus, at the end of the day, I really didn't fancy having to spend a week in a Polish hotel room, bruised, sore and feeling sorry for myself - would much rather do that in the comfort of my own home!) I briefly considered Transform too, but decided not to after going along to their consultation (basically just a massive sales pitch - I never even got to meet anyone who had a medical qualification! )

Consultation with Karidis

So after reading the pages and pages of good testimonials on this forum I decided to book a consultation with Dr. Karidis in April this year to see what all the fuss was about. The consultation was fine, over relatively quickly and he put me at ease that he could fix it. I didn't have all that many questions as I'd read so much here so after he showed me a few of his patients' "before/after" photos, that was it, I paid the £1k deposit and decided to book the op for later on in the year (27th September). I thought it'd be better to get summer out of the way so I wasn't sweating in the compression vest (back then I thought we were going to actually have a summer!), plus I still had about a grand to save so I needed that extra time.

And now the operation is literally just around the corner: 11 days and counting! I'm all paid up, have had my bloods done and it's all feeling quite real now (if not a little surreal). I've even given up smoking and drinking too as I want to give myself the best possible chance of recovery (struggling on day 2, not going to lie!)

I've got worries and a bit of apprehension about the whole thing, but to be honest with you, the main thing I'm feeling right now is excitement. I can't wait for the 27th to come. In fact, I want to just fast-forward the next 6 months so it's all over and gyne has become a distant memory.

If you've got this far then hopefully I haven't bored you all with this. I'm going to try to keep this updated with my op and post-op journey. Hopefully it'll help someone else (I know I've read almost every account of a Karidis op on here!)  

Finally, I'm going to post a few recent pics here. Any comments on whether you think I'll have good results would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Pre-op pics: 16/09/12

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:42:15 AM by kniveshurt »

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
Your surgery is the same day as myself (albeit I am with Levick).

Good luck with everything.

Follow my Twitter: www.twitter.com/wingman0401

Offline kniveshurt

• Posting Member
Thanks mate. Same to you.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. All the best.

Offline enom

• Bronze Member
Good luck mate, you're in good hands with Karidis.

Offline kniveshurt

• Posting Member
Cheers enom - glad to hear it. Saw your thread and your results are looking great! Fingers crossed it all goes as well for me.

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Hey Pal.  Your story reminds me of myself, although I'm 10 years older.  And the severity of your gyne is about on par with mine.  Taking my vest off later on today so will nab some pics and get em up and start a log (which will hopefully help me get into shape too hehe)  I knocked the cigs on the head too, about a week prior...hang in there man, it's for a great cause!

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
All due respect Nipper (and congrats on getting through your surgery) - your gyno has nothing on knives'!

Knives, you are going to see some awesome results mate, good luck with your op - it's a complete breeze. I freakishly miss the whole anticipation of it all; Karidis will give you a new lease on life my friend!
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline kniveshurt

• Posting Member
Nice one Rasputin. Cheers. Really hope I'm going to get some good results. Actually cannot wait for it. It's been the longest week of my life this week and I've still got 8 days to go!!

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Cheers Rasputin!  And yeah, I agree, totally.  Just didn't want to go into it ;)  And Knives, you'll be there in no time mate, it's inevitable ;)

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Best of luck with the surgery mate!

I have my consultation with Karidis on 15th Oct, hope for a date with him before the new year all being well. I'll be checking back on your results, always nice to see people in my situation coming out the other side :)

Offline adamj

• Silver Member
Hey Knives, I have surgery with Karidis next Thursday (27th) too. It's so surreal isn't it. I'm counting down the days now too. Don't you just love thinking about the things you're going to be able to do without being self conscious?! 6 days and counting...

Offline kniveshurt

• Posting Member
Thanks sjwsjw. Hope all goes well with your consultation!

Offline kniveshurt

• Posting Member
Hey adamj. We're in on the same day, huh? What's your surgery time? I have to be there at 7am, so I'm guessing I'm the first of the day.

I know exactly what you mean about the self-conscious thing. I've literally got a whole drawer of t-shirts ready to try on as soon as the vest is off!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, seeing as we'll be recovering at exactly the same time! All the best.

Offline adamj

• Silver Member
Aha yeh totally relate with you there! got so much in my wardrobe that I like but am reluctant to wear because my moobs look big in them! My 'admission time' is 10am (think that's when I have to be at the hosp reception), not sure what time it's all going to start though. I'm not really that nervous yet, are you? it'll probably kick in on Wednesday evening. Can't wait. Might bump in to you on the other side!

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
7am is just the regular time to check in I think, I made it there for 7:20 ish by the time I'd found out where to go (The ward is at the front of the hospital, no need to travel to the rear like you did for consultation, just go to main reception)  I was second in line (around 9:10)  But was still required to check in at 7 on the day.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024