Author Topic: Time between revisions - is there a rule?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline sumradagnoth

First post here, will try to be brief...

13 years ago severe gynecomastia, surgery performed with excision.  Big improvement but not totally satisfied (no deformities, etc... just always felt my chest was still too full)  Dealt with it up until this year and decided it was time to get it redone.

In January 2013 i went back to the original surgeon who recommended revising with lipo alone (i wasnt very educated at this point so I opted to proceed with the recommendation).

About 3 months now since the lipo revision and there really isnt any difference from pre-lipo.  Im pretty lean and the doctor admitted there wasnt alot of fat to remove, and then also confirmed there is residual breast tissue present that could be removed with another revision (wish i was told that initially... but anyways).  So I am healed now... no swelling, no pain... hitting it hard in the gym again.  Recovery was very simple from the lipo.  

I want to get this revision done properly and am researching other doctors. Not one surgeon i have met so far with seems concerned with the fact that I am 3 months out from the lipo procedure and feels I can proceed with a "proper" revision with excision right away. I guess they dont feel there is any residual swelling or unhealed tissue?  This seems slightly contrary to what I am reading on this site, where doctors are using a 6 month window between procedures... is that a hard and fast rule?  is it possible to be a good candidate for a revision 3 months post lipo?  is it negligent for a surgeon to not use the 6 month rule?

Thank you kindly.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Tissues tend to heal and evolve after surgery -- and that requires time.  At three months, there may still be some swelling, active production of scar tissue, etc.  In essence, the situation is unstable.  It usually takes at least six months (or more) for everything to have settled down and entered a more stable state.

When considering revision for a patient, I would want a stable situation so that I can assess exactly what needs to be done.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline sumradagnoth

thank you for your valued opinion

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024