Author Topic: I need some advice/help  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Tank19

• Posting Member
Alright. I know I have gynecomastia. I am 18 years old and I have lost ~50 lbs in the last year from dieting and exercising and have been working out for the past year. I noticed my gynecomastia at around 13 years old. At thirteen or fourteen it was not so bad because I was not so overweight, but when I was 16-17 I became overweight and since then my gyne has gotten worse because of the tissue left over from all the fat I lost. I can feel large modules of tissue under my nipples and sometimes they give me pain. I know i still have 10-15 lbs of fat I could loose, but it is going slow. I am currently 5'5 154 ish
pictures at the bottom

My scar on my left side is from a coarctation of aorta operation at around 1 month old. I used to have a hard time doing cardio because of the limits I would put myself, and would get short of breath but now I believe I am in good health besides the gynecomastia. I can run a 3-4 miles at about 10 minutes per mile and I have solid Blood pressure, cholesterol, iron, and blood levels. I take vitamins and krill oil which seems to have helped a lot with inflamation. I eat healthy [no gluten or soy or manufactured food. Man can I cook veggies :) ] My cardiologist says I am allowed to push my body to what I know it can take, so for a surgery I am pretty sure I would be able to under go it. I no longer experience shortness of breath.

I would truly love surgery but, I first havn't spoken to my mom about and I am very hesitant. We are also tight on money. I live in south Florida but I am going to college this august for the first time in Orlando[ UCF :) ], and that is were the 9 grand of surgery money would go. Are there any loans I could take out for a surgery? If so where? and could I do this at 18? What doctors should I consult first about this? my pediatrician and/or an endocrinologist? Would my insurance cover it? I have cigna or would you have to pay a certain plan which covers it? How would you check your coverage plan. Should I ask cigna or would that not be good? Should I wait until I have insurance from the university of central florida? I'm clueless. How should I approach my gyne problem? get a loan, ask my mom for money, loose more weight and both of the above. I am clueless. I also dont know if i need to see a specific gynecomastia surgeon because of my previous medical history.

Thanks
:)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are in good shape, except for apparent puffy nipples and perhaps some additonal tissue underneath (which can only be determined by a physical exam).  The only way to deal with your problem would be surgery -- and I would caution you to do your homework and find an experienced gyne surgeon to deal with the problem.  There is no rush -- so get an expert to do it right the first time.

There is a fine gyne surgeon in Orlando, Dr. Pope, who posts regularly on this forum.  You should at least give him a call.

As for insurance, it is very difficult.  You should at least inquire of your insurance company as to their requirements to qualify for reimbursement for gyne surgery.  Then see if you would qualify.  Most of the time, insurance simply call it cosmetic surgery and dismiss it without giving you a chance.

Good luck in school and good luck with your gyne.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Tank19

• Posting Member
Awesome, I agree, there isnt a rush, I think I will investigate the best surgeon and have the procedure when I can coordinate it with how my life goes.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024