Author Topic: Had NHS consultation today!  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Bubble

• Posting Member
Hi

Well, Im not convinced. This is for 1 reason and that is that he said he, the surgeon, would have to leave some gland in to stop the crater effect. Now Im aware of this potential problem yet the thought of any of the bastard stuff remaining in there fills me with dread.

He said he would use the areola excision technique which I think sounds fine but I got the impression he doesn't do to many of this specific op. Despite this, he appeared pretty confident and tried his best to put me at ease.

He said there would be now lipo involved as I mainly had 'very dense breast tissue' and no fat, which is correct as I am quite fit with little fat in the area. To be honest I'd probably be OK with him apart from the leaving gland in idea to keep the shape as he said.

My dilemma is that I am in a position where I can go private with someone like Levick, yet £3500 is £3500 and its better in my pocket than his. Im gonna book a consultation with Levick for next week anyway and see if he makes me feel more assured.

What do you guys think? Also what do you think, in general, on the areola excision technique compared with Levick's just below armpit method?

Thanks

Bubble

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
Hi Bubble

If you are not 100% sure of the NHS surgeon then it is wise to get another opinion.  There are people on here i think AJP who had NHS treatment and are now going to get further treatment with Mr Levick as the previous procedure was not up to standard.

I fully understand the cash situation.  Id rather not pay that sort of money out either but i feel it is unavoidable for me.  I have no intention of going down the NHS route.  Mr Levick has a proven track record and thats what counts in my book.  I would hate to get it done by a surgeon on the NHS and they muck up and make it worse than it is now.  Im not saying all NHS is like that, there must be some very good surgeons out there on the NHS. I would just rather spend the cash knowing exactly what I am buying.

On the technique I am not really sure, Levicks technique works but so does the areola excision.  For me either or would have done as i have had this condition for so long now a couple of scars rather than man boobs just wouldnt bother me now.  ALthough its a bonus to have very limited scars with Levicks approach.

Regards
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Hi Bubble.

RRB is right; I did have surgery on the NHS a couple of years ago, and I'm booked in for surgery with Dr Levick at the end of the month. What you've been told sounds very familiar to me - the NHS surgeon who operated on me also stressed that he didn't want to take too much away, because of the chances of making the chest concave. I went through with the operation anyway, which was areola excision, and here I am two years later no better off. Basically, he removed most of the hard tissue, but didn't remove any fat. For the first 6-9 months after the operation I just thought "give it time", but to be honest it was a waste of time. I still have the same shape chaest as I did before the operation, along with scars under each nipple. The scars have healed quite well, which is a bonus, and I have enough hair on my chest to hide any obvious scarring, so I suppose it could have been worse.

If I had the resources I have now (this website) I don't think I would have gone through the NHS. The surgeon was probably just a general surgeon, and I got the impression he hadn't done too many gynecomastia corrections in his time. Also, some people don't heal as well as others, so any scars under the nipples might be very obvious even in years to come.

I have decided to use Dr Levick as his technique involves 'going in' from under the armpits rather than under the nipples. This way any scarring will be very hard to notice. I think there are about five of us on this forum going with Levick in February alone. That speaks for itself.

Cheers.
Another happy Levick Lad.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024