Author Topic: Delgado  (Read 6908 times)

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
I had gynecomastia surgery on Wednesday. Most things seem perfect but I am annoyed about one thing. I've had drains in for nearly a week now, which means I have been totally uncomfortable, itchy, and unable to bathe. I can understand if the doctor doesn't want to come in on weekends but he would not see even today (Monday) to remove the drains because all the rooms were filled for other appointments, some of which were not even his core patients. Seems like a bit of extra money is taking precedence over my healing, comfort, and ability to bathe, which is not cool.

I still feel I made a smart choice to go to Delgado, though. As far as I can tell, he did a very good job, technically.

hammer

There are many other surgeries the will keep you from a good sit down hot bath much longer! I've had a few myself. You just need to be patiant, have a good sponge bath and relax! Remember that good things come to those who wait!

Congrats on your surgery!

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
Other procedures exist that have longer recovery times? You're like an encyclopedia of medical information. How did you become so knowledgeable?

hammer

Living life to its fullest for 55+ years, seeing the world thanks to the Navy! Having many expectancies thanks to not being afraid to try things, being in not only the Navy but the Army as well, investing in my own businesses, both properties and construction one did great the other didn't, health going from outstanding, fit can do anything to total "shit" with multiple problems and surgeries and have to retire on disability at the age of 40.

The best of all is paying attention.

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
You an unusually positive person, aren't you?

Speaking of which, I got my drains out today. Some needy patient seemed to be holding to doctor up, so I was pacing around the room for nearly an hour, somewhat cranky--but getting the drains out was well worth the wait. I feel much better without the drains. I hated those things. It's amazing how much better I feel now.

hammer

There are times that my appointment runs up to an hour or more late at the VA! I just wait patiently for my turn to come even if it is late, because the next time it may be me that needs the extra time from the doctor!

Yes, I do try to remain positive! No matter how bad things are it could always be worse and we should be thankful that it is not. I like to put my trust in God, but I am only human too and I fail to do that much to often.

Bob

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
It's nice that you are positive, but it's also really rude to downplay people's comments the way you do. For instance, if someone comes to you and says, "I just got hit in the head with a baseball bat" you should not say, "I was once hit by a train". That's just common sense.

Moving on.

I saw Dr. D again. He came in the room and then left rapidly, so I had no chance to talk to him or ask any questions. I have some pretty strange scarring where the drains were. Think big knots under the skin, hard tissue the size of gummy worms in the exact shape of the drains. I seems the scar tissue may have formed around the drain and remains even though they have been removed. I hope it resolves because it's significant enough that I can see it through a t-shirt even. It would have been nice to have a comment from Delgado but like I said, he did not even take questions from me. I have a feeling it's a bad sign and that's why he avoided me.

hammer

Yes, it was very rude and insensitive of him not to take the time to see how you were doing and if you had any questions! You could probably ask his nurse and get some answers eventhough it does not solve to problem that you have with him.

I would guess what you are feeling is scabing and some swelling. It can take several months to totally heal from surgery no matter what kind you had! You will see changes as time goes by you will need to be patiant though.

As for what would I do if someone got hit in the head with a base ball? Well I've been a first responder, law enforcement trained, FEMA trained for Emergency Management so I've faced many emergencies in my life from minor to DOA (dead on arrival) so what I would do would depend on the person, age and exactly were in the head and how the ball was traveling. Was it tossed or hit by a bat? Is there bleeding? Is there signs of a concussion? However, I would do an examination to first see if there was need for emergency medical attention and then move on from there appropriately!

As far as some of the babies in this gold star world we now live in, I'd have to say "MAN UP"!

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
It's not scabbing by the feel of it. It's a round, hard lump, longer than my pinky finger and about the diameter of my pinky finger running the length of the area where the drains were. It's sort of like the round, hard edge of a bra. Imagine that were inserted under your skin. Hopefully it is only temporary.

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
It's not scabbing by the feel of it. It's a round, hard lump, longer than my pinky finger and about the diameter of my pinky finger running the length of the area where the drains were. It's sort of like the round, hard edge of a bra. Imagine that were inserted under your skin. Hopefully it is only temporary.

Oh my goodness, your description made me cringe. I hope everything works out. Thank you for keeping this thread alive for people like me who are still in the research phase of gyne surgeons.

All the best!

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
Lol. Maybe I should have gone to church and prayed this morning--it is Sunday after all. I hope it clears.

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
A few of you have messaged me with some interest in this topic so I have researched it a bit more.

There was a study titled Gynecomastia: Complications of the Subcutaneous Mastectomy published in American Surgeon, which is an academic journal. This website does not allow me to post a link so you will have to search for it if you are interested. The authors are listed as:

Steele, Scott R.; Martin, Matthew J.; Place, Ronald J.

Here are two quotes:

"Eighteen of 22 cases with drains placed intraoperatively developed complications as compared with 12 of 43 cases without drains"

"We found a relatively high complication rate in subcutaneous mastectomy for gynecomastia. Most complications are minor with no long-term effect. Drain placement was the only risk factor associated with postoperative complications."

Correlation alone does not prove cause. It's interesting, though.

Offline agency86

• Posting Member
Update:

Today I realized that the hard drain scars/hardness under my flesh that I spoke about before seemed to have improved somewhat. Most of the elevation that previously showed through my shirts seems to no longer show through my shirts. This is a big plus for me. I'll update again later when I have time.

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
Update:

Today I realized that the hard drain scars/hardness under my flesh that I spoke about before seemed to have improved somewhat. Most of the elevation that previously showed through my shirts seems to no longer show through my shirts. This is a big plus for me. I'll update again later when I have time.

Thanks for updating! I'm following this thread.

Offline s00ntobe

• Silver Member
ty for update

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024