Author Topic: Surgery with Karidis - 3/10/13 (Photos now up)  (Read 2539 times)

Offline sjt7

• Posting Member
After reading these forums to help make a decision about what to do, I made a clear agreement with myself to come back and post about my experiences in case there was another person out there looking for advice.

Usual story, I'd been lurking for a while and have been traumatised by my condition since I was 13/14 (now 34). Holidays in the sun have been a nightmare, clothing is carefully picked, hunched shoulders and a longing for winter coats is the norm. A shame when I'm incredibly active, and have completed numerous endurance events between 8 - 24 hours in length. I was a large lad in my early 20's and just thought by losing weight (from 110kg down to 72kg) it would go away, but it didn't and I knew something needed to change.

Fast forward about 7 years from when I was at my lightest (now about 79kg, and 182cm tall) the straw that broke the camels back was the end of my 2 year marriage, where my lack of self confidence and unwillingness to 'get over it, nobody cares' was one of the reasons that she is citing in our (very recent) separation. That was the moment I took action, and while I don't think going to the lengths I have will save my marriage, I don't want it to ruin any further relationships I may have.

So about a month ago I made the decision to visit Dr. Karidis upon recommendations from this forum. He confirmed what I thought, and spoke in a very matter of fact way. I was determined to see it through and booked there and then. I even discussed a small amount of stubborn fat on my abdomen that never seemed to move and agreed to have that taken out as well.

The day arrived (yesterday, 3rd Oct) and I got to the hospital at 9am. I didn't really tell anyone I knew about the process, what it was all about or anything but a few people knew I was in hospital for surgery (described as 'just correcting a few things'). The check-in process was smooth, people at St J & E were very nice and before I knew it I was marked up and ready to go. I purposely didn't ask questions, as they wouldn't influence the outcome. I was more worried about the recovery! A quick jab and 10 seconds later I was asleep.

I woke up in the recovery room about 90 mins later and I'll be honest, didn't feel comfortable. I was struggling with my breath and just felt very anxious. The vest was tight (as expected) but I couldn't calm down. Deep breaths didn't seem to help, nor being hooked up to oxygen. I was wheeled into my room, and a dr came in and saw me and checked me out and said I was fine, and finally someone adjusted my vest which made a bit of difference, along with a codiene tablet! Finally relaxed I spent the afternoon trying to drink as much water as possible. I wasn't hungry but realised they weren't going to let me out unless I ate and also passed urine! Managed both around 5.30pm thankfully.

I was going to do this thing alone, but the girlfriend of my friend who I have moved in with was very keen to come along. At 4pm on the day I relented, and sent her a text asking her to meet me which made such a difference. The taxi was booked for 5pm but moved it to 6.30pm and got home with her carrying my stuff at around 7.15pm.

I had set everything up in my room so I just went in, got myself sorted, put the sheet down to protect the bed from any blood seepage (hasn't been much as yet) and slept on and off until around 6.30am this morning. I felt much better this morning, could eat, but the pain is more problematic today with the pressure of the vest. It isn't easy, but neither is the alternative. Short term discomfort in a long term goal is what I am telling myself.

The shower was an experience I won't forget. I was shaking with fear, and nearly cried taking the bandages off. I didn't know who I was, and the enormity of it all just hit me. It wasn't the pain at all, it was just the nervousness of seeing what has happened. There are bumps and lumps, but I know this is a 3-6 month game, not a 24 hour game. Give it time, so that's why I didn't really want to look today (unlike everyone else who seems really keen to see what has gone on!!) There is a definitely a difference though.

It's now 11.50pm the day after and am struggling for sleep. I'm not sure I will tonight but not bothered, as can sleep at any stage. I realise this is a long and boring post but I hope some of the info here can prepare some of you lurkers for what is to come. Don't think, just do. What is money really if it can't buy you happiness, self-confidence and a new lease of life. It won't happen in a day, but look at this site, the photos, and see what can happen over a longer period.

To all those that post here and continue to update, I salute you. Your bravery has saved many souls, including mine. It's almost like I've been given a second chance, and feel like I've wasted so much of my adulthood already. I've seen the world three times over, but this process is already making me want to go and see it again (with my shirt off!)

Will update and probably post a few photos as I continue to recover...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:39:46 PM by sjt7 »

Offline ScaredGuy

• Posting Member
Thank you mate. It's 2:30 a.m. right now and I signed in because I woke up in pain, burning in my chest area and also huge pain in my right shoulder which I think is just from the lack of movement. Was interesting to read what you wrote and the differences. I'm now allowed to remove my bandages for a week, and I'm also terrified of looking. I think when I do remove them I'm not going to look into a mirror, I think my first look will be after a few weeks of wearing the compression vest.

Not sure if you saw my pics, but my gyne was absolutely huge so I guess my body is in total shock with all of that tissue not being there now. How large was yours? Hope you're coping well my friend. I'm really struggling at the moment, having tiny regrets because of the pain I'm right now but hopefully I'll be more mobile by tomorrow morning and will feel happier.

Offline sjt7

• Posting Member
Have seen your pics and while mine not as pronounced, was still fairly big. Karidis never really said anything about the relative size, but I know from photos here mine wasn't as bad as others (or yours). I don't yet know how much was taken out though. That said, we all have to go through the same recovery process, albeit in different ways with different doctors.

No regrets. You've made the right decision, I'm positive of that. The best thing is to give it all time. These forums have taught me to be patient, and not expect miracles. Hopefully your pain has gone away with some of the painkillers? I am having real problems sleeping with my back contracting, not sure of the best way to lie in bed or how many pillows to use etc. Not sure if any of the experienced guys on here can help?

Stay strong in your recovery!

Offline ScaredGuy

• Posting Member
How are you doing? I'm still really sore at the moment with a tiny little bit more mobility than yesterday but only barely. Experiencing burning sensations where my nipples are ( or where I think they are anyway ) which is worrying me a little.

Hope you're coping OK my fellow breastless brother.

Offline sjt7

• Posting Member
Still a bit sore but getting better day by day. Really bruised now so imagine that is the body's way of saying that the healing process is underway. Not completeley flat chested but much better, as I say the process is a long one so not really thinking too much at this stage. The damn vest you get though is so frustrating to sleep in! Can't wait till the 2 weeks is up...

Hope you're getting better too and mobility increasing...

Offline ScaredGuy

• Posting Member
Hi, five days in and I'm finally feeling human again. It's early but I woke up half hour ago for the toilet and getting out of bed didn't hurt and I didn't walk like a robot. My vest doesn't come off until Friday so I have no idea what I look like underneath right now. I'm feeling positive today hope you're doing well :)

Offline sjt7

• Posting Member
Well I am 24 days in now and looking forward to not having to wear the vest for 12 hours a day in a few days time. I must say the body has responded reasonably well in terms of healing with bruises and cuts etc, but I have been a little worried about the outcomes from the surgery. I know shouldn't expect miracles but looking down from the top it still seems like I have a bit of fat left above the nipple and at the top of the chest. I'm waiting for the 6 week appointment with Karidis to see what he has to say, but I guess it was hard to know what to expect as everyone is different (and my body is naturally an odd shape). Anyway, I do look a lot different to my previous self.

Have tried to upload a couple of images to show before and after...as I say my issue is with fat stored above the nipple rather than below (excuse the moles, another body project I am working on...)

Four photos attached, before front and side, and then front at 12 days (arms outstretched though) and 16 days side (where there is a bit of concern over shape & swelling)

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Looks fine to me mate.

Easy to be paranoid about things early on. You're still very early in. It's a big deal for your body but things will settle out. Have you started to massage yet? I started around the 4 week point and found it a massive help with the scar tissue and general healing. It also gave me 15-20mins a day to really see and feel what's going on. Bio oil is good as it helps with the scar appearance also. Obviously don't massage a sore or raw chest. Just wait until you can comfortably apply light pressure.

The mental side is a big issue after surgery too. Up to about 6 months I still found myself subconsciously covering my chest from time to time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024