Author Topic: Surgery booked.  (Read 3840 times)

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
So, consultation went well. Really is a nice guy like everyone says. Now i'm booked in for surgery next month, scary...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:46:49 AM by mIZER »

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
The consultation is very informal. He will explain what gynecomastia is and show you some before and after pictures (although this site has loads too), he will then check you and then explain what needs doing and how he will do it.

At no point is there pressure to go ahead with it, which is quite refreshing in this day and age!

Questions to ask are personal to you, but you might want to ask about things to do leading up to the operation (what to eat, what not to eat, when to cease exercise etc.), what will happen on the day of the operation, you may want a partner to stay overnight with you (I did and it was very helpful), what do you need to pack for the operation, what to expect with recovery/aftercare, timeframe for going back to work, taking a holiday, drinking alcohol etc., and you may want to ask about how you pay for the whole thing.

Just a few ideas anyway, I had specific questions about getting back to the gym and playing golf, and my wife had some questions about the possibility of our son getting the condition (apparently it's genetic), so you may think of things personal to you.

You should get an information pack outlining a lot of the above, and don't worry if you come away from the consultation and forgot to mention something, you can easily get in touch with Levick or his wife, and you can always ask this forum for advice!

Hope that helps anyway.

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
Thanks man. I'm a little nervous but more excited to get this whole process started finally. I'll be going alone to both the consultation and surgery, think it would it be safe for me to take the train back home after the surgery? Don't own a car! :/

Offline CR7

• Posting Member
hi mate how comes you decided to go with mr levick?

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
Basically because he's held in such high regard by many. His price might be steeper but I won't take chances with my body for the sake of saving a grand or two. Hopefully he further proves why he's more expensive If i do go through it with Levick.

Offline CR7

• Posting Member
im thinking about the surgery to, but dont know who to use. its hard so many surgeons available. im like you i want the best regardless of money.

most people on here either go with karidis or levick, im really stuck to many choices :) i mite go with levick myself as im based in birmingham so would be so much easier for me  :)

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
Have you started saving mate? I'd go with Levick especially since your in the area, I'm coming down from liverpool. definitely going to get lost haha!

Offline CR7

• Posting Member
yeah been saving for ages :) i mite just do that since he is highly recommended by everyone on here most had there surgery done by him.

you wont get lost, outside train station theres a taxi rank take it to edgebaston where his clinic based it will cost you max £15 have your consultation then take taxi back again :)

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
Thanks mate, its the trains I worry about, I never use them. Lets hope I get the right one!

Offline CR7

• Posting Member
ask the conductor before you board the train :) let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Offline FrankMartin

• Posting Member
I'd say that you really might want someone to go with you for your surgery if possible. Most surgeons, certainly Levick and Karidis put you under GA, some people come round fine others are a bit groggy. Levick has the advantage you'll have had near 24hrs to recover in the hospital, but still you won't want/be able to drive home. I've heard of people getting the train, but from my own personal experience I wouldn't wanted to travel alone, just having a bag or suitcase would have been difficult, and I wouldn't have wanted to be going through stations and one and off trains afterwards. I guess it depends how far how many changes and such. 

The price is high, but you have to remember what you are having done. With Levick, you are going to be booking out a room in a private hospital for 2 days and the equipment like the pumps, you are going to have to pay for use of the theatre, the nurses and staff that come with it, you are paying for the anaesthetist to put you under and monitor you while you are out, and finally you are paying for a surgeon in Levick. All of this is coming at private medical prices, pretty similar with Karidis, but he's in London so even more pricey. You can probably get it cheaper, but obviously they have to cut corners somewhere.  

Main difference between Karidis and Levick is location and hence price, and beyond that the technique. One of the other things to bear in mind is Levick does free revision work, not many people seem to need it but its worth bearing in mind especially if you know you might be more prone to have issues like loose skin or something. I don't believe there is any difference in the quality of their work.

As for the OP, not really much you need to take. Remember he's going to want your shirt off, so probably wear something easy to get on and off. He wanted some of my GP's details, so if you can't recall them probably check them before you leave. He gives you a little pack to take home with information and a pamphlet for the vest which is the only other cost you need to consider beyond getting there and paying for it.

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
Cheers Frank (can I call you frank?), yeah going alone isn't ideal or my first choice, but I've no option. Besides I shouldn't be doing much walking really, taxi to train, train to liverpool, taxi home.

I've read that Levick's technique leaves little scarring compared to Karidis. Both are very good though.

@CR7: I'll keep you updated tommorow mate, stay alert in case I get lost! haha

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
If you look back in my thread, I went on my own and had no problems. I didn't have any adverse reaction to anaesthetic and actually felt like I could have walked back to the train station a few hours after coming round! - but it is true to say everyone reacts different, sometimes people can be sick and feel really groggy for 24 hours. The care you get from Levick and all his team at the Priory could not be better though. Definitely get what you pay for!

Offline mIZER

• Posting Member
Just a quick question, i've been sent a package by the BMI hospital with my confirmation letter, booklet etc. I've also got a in-patient pre operative questionaire, now am I supposed to complete this now and send it back or give it in on the day?

Thanks guys

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Just a quick question, i've been sent a package by the BMI hospital with my confirmation letter, booklet etc. I've also got a in-patient pre operative questionaire, now am I supposed to complete this now and send it back or give it in on the day?

Thanks guys

You can take the questionaire in with you on the day. However, if you have any notable medical conditions you may want to call them/send it in early.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024