Author Topic: Advice and information please  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Hi,

Firstly this site has finally let me post a new topic so forgive me if you have seen this before.

In short I have suffered since teens, but somehow blocked or bluffed it out, although holidays WTD always painful, and managed to wear clothes that were not too bad.

I have now plucked up the courage for the operation with Dr Levick, and so the questions and fears that I am looking for advise on.

I suppose I am average In that c2inches of glad and fat, apace I expect issues with skin retraction

I am scared re some of the posts re different results, swelling creased nipples, scar tissues, are these normal to be expected.

Having booked I am now really fearful I will be let worse looking

I am due to go I holiday c6 weeks after the operation, what sort of look can I expect, ie would taking my t shirt if be a no no or just sort of the same level if embarrassment I have now? This is my biggest fear!!!

Does anyone have any photos around the same post of 6 weeks I could get a idea from

How much post cardio exercise good I go for.

How noticeable are the garments or post op difference and what sort of stories comments should I expect

Is nerves and apprehension normal, I am now starting to wonder if better to grin and bear it

Thanks for any advise

Offline jakewardell

• Posting Member
Glad you've finally got around to having the surgery! Should be one of the best things you ever do.

RE the post surgery results - an element of fear is completely natural but getting yourself worked up because there's an extremely small chance your chest will look worse isn't the way to go.

One, it's unlikely you'll run into any complications at all and two, this is calculated risk you have to take if you ever want to truly be free of gynecomastia and three, you should trust a well-renowned surgeon to deliver.

6 weeks after the operation your chest will be looking reasonably good and there will probably be a couple of hardly visible marks from the surgery still showing.

You may feel a little self conscious of those but nothing like on the level you used too when taking your shirt off.

Cardio I didn't really start until week 4 and even at week 7 I can still feel as though I've had chest surgery after I've "hit it hard".

The garments shouldn't be that noticeable underneath shirts and what comments you should expect more depends on who you socialize with - with me I've just answered about the vest honestly as once you've had the surgery, there's no real embarrassment about it anymore. It happened, it's done, let's move on.

That should ease your nerves somewhat  :)

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Jake

Thanks appreciate the response

Regards

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Well it's about 30 mins before I go under the knife, had what I assume re usual fears this morning,

Will keep posted any tips on after welcome

Thanks

Offline FlatAsAPancake

• Bronze Member
How did it go mate?

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hi,

Firstly this site has finally let me post a new topic so forgive me if you have seen this before.

In short I have suffered since teens, but somehow blocked or bluffed it out, although holidays WTD always painful, and managed to wear clothes that were not too bad.

I have now plucked up the courage for the operation with Dr Levick, and so the questions and fears that I am looking for advise on.

I suppose I am average In that c2inches of glad and fat, apace I expect issues with skin retraction

I am scared re some of the posts re different results, swelling creased nipples, scar tissues, are these normal to be expected.

Having booked I am now really fearful I will be let worse looking

I am due to go I holiday c6 weeks after the operation, what sort of look can I expect, ie would taking my t shirt if be a no no or just sort of the same level if embarrassment I have now? This is my biggest fear!!!

Does anyone have any photos around the same post of 6 weeks I could get a idea from

How much post cardio exercise good I go for.

How noticeable are the garments or post op difference and what sort of stories comments should I expect

Is nerves and apprehension normal, I am now starting to wonder if better to grin and bear it

Thanks for any advise

Hope it went well mate. The first day or so can be horrible, but you're in good hands at the Priory.

Re fears - look at this this way, you're in the hands of the best/most experienced surgeon. If you dont do anything, you're guaranteed to have a lifetime worth's of gynecomastia. So you've made the right decision.

6 weeks - from my personal experience I would advise people to be realistic and look at it more as a lifetime investment that could take from 6 months to up to a year for full recovery. Many people do look good at 6 weeks though, but take that as a bonus if that turns out to be the case with you.

Vests/binder - if you wear loose clothing these shouldnt be too noticeable.

Cardio - I started cardio around the 6/7 week mark and have had no problems with it (just treadmill, not sure about cross trainers/rowing machines etc). Some of the weight training exercises can cause a bit of tightness, you just have to listen to your body. Dr. Silverman (the big surgeon you can see on the right) has a good post about training post-op. I'd post it here, but bizarrely this forum doesnt seem to allow any links.

Good luck, and keep posting, it helps to keep track of your own thoughts and progress.

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Hi all,

My report on events, good, bad and own rambles

Pre op

Hospital clean, efficient, and very friendly all staff excellent. I can honestly say all staff were great and really friendly it's a real plus to have such nice people around you.

Meeting with Dr Levick was good and he was happy to answer all the usual and same questions I probably asked at the consultation. He was friendly and chatty, and would say my on slight moan was a bit  too breezy . I was worried and sometime a little more seriousness is helpful, but also I accept he does these loads of times so to him it's nothing new, and what can he say?.

I also think if you are looking for a more cosmetic/vanity style conversation or pep talk on what it will look like after and will I be Brad Pitt or look like I fell in a pit, this is not that style, more they are going, you will be flat and it will take months to come back, and do not do this that or the other post op. He is functional in other words not salesman.

Saying all that he is so friendly and really does put you at ease, these are really just silly points, I would not fault them in any way and would not hesitate in recommending him.

Going in to theatre I got nervous, as was a having second thoughts as not good with hospitals. However they all put me at ease including support staff. The anaesthetist was particular good and friendly.

Was marked up in theatre, my only point here being not able to see how much of little he is going for, ie just gland or get out all the fat etc as well so has a good shape finished. As above I assume some play on theatre of doing this when in reality how much is sales and how much is a op and down to the individual is the question, however would be nice to raise questions then.

Post op

Worst part coming round in recovery ward. Lots of post ops pain in my case in the left. Oral morphine administered and once took effect was ok. In and out or sleep due to anaesthetic was not pleasant as uncomfortable with the bed, needles in arm, and noise etc if surroundings, have to say this was the worse bit, really not nice.

Once back into room eased, however this is the worst, hooked in machines, the vest and pain or chest and wounds makes movement difficult, and I was generally uncomfortable for a couple of hours. I would say this is the worst but does not last forever, say about 2-3 hours

I forced food into me and got them to allow me to stand for the loo (water stayed in me for about 10 secs). Found standing and walking so much better. By about 9 felt wide awake and normal as can be.

Sleep was not to bad, but I did request a tablet as was drifting in and out of sleep until 9 so when this passed I was wide awake. Night in the same position was manageable.

Re the vest, if anyone had back problems it's the same thing as wearing one of those support belts, not the best but manable.

Anyway it's now 9 UK time, the ops was at 2pm, and I am up, washed and dressed myself and been for walk and managed some calls with work (plus write this) Little to no pain but on tablets so not sure what real or not, only down side is vest. It's tight in a good way around the chest as you feel you are getting support and it's helping but digs under the arms, this is worse sitting so standing a lot.

Now the full recovery...

As before I keep banging on about 6 weeks. I know this must seem odd to most people, but one of the main drivers for finally getting this done, was a holiday with my young son and some other family friends  and their kids. He is and his friends we are travelling with are just the right age for man boobs etc to be a fun thing to point out and laugh at without realising, so call in vanity or whatever, one of my main drivers was him and be able to enjoy swinging etc without fear (I in the last have always just blocked it out some how, never been happy, but able to sort of live with it).

Saying that I really appreciate any advise what I can expect, including picture, or realistically can I  take off and top off without it looking very odd to the casual observer, also any top tips for the next stage and speedy recovery.

Thanks to all for the words and if I can help other in any way please let me know

At this moment so please it's done and behind me, let's hope the next few weeks go as well

Pdc41

Ps I need to go to the office Monday, how the hell do I not shower?

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Congrats, you're past the hardest part.

Vest - I think you have the binder on at the moment, not the vest. I hated the binder and a few others did too, it kept sliding down, with no shoulder support and caused bruising. Just persevere. If it falls off, just tighten it back on and as high up as possible. It does dig into your armpits, but after a week (or was it 2 weeks? I cant remember, you'll know better than me), you can switch to the vest which is a million times more comfortable.

Shower - I remember from the documentation in Mr Levick's pack, there seemed to be two different seemingly contradictory advise about this. One said you can shower after 2 days, the other said after a week. I think Mr Levick in person said a week. I left it a week, but I wasnt at work either. If you're in any doubt, best to email Mr Levick and just ask.

Recovery - the best thing you can do is follow Mr Levick's advice. Arnica, massage etc. according to the timings he prescribes. Also, if you can bear it keep the binder on, on top of the vest for a good 2-3 weeks. This will ensure minimal chance of fluid build up that some of us have experienced. You'll probably be sick of the binder after a week, but since you're trying your best to be in shape by 6 weeks, you might want to try and keep maximum compression for as long as possible to prevent any fluid build up.

Re Mr Levick being cheerful, not like a saleman - personally I found that reassuring. He cracked a couple of jokes too as I was in the pre-op room, and when you're very nervous, sometimes I found that actually helps, to have a super confident, happy guy. Tbh, I think that's just how is he is all the time a charming, humorous man.

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Hi,

Thought I would update with the various shots I have taken over the last days etc. but failing on the tech side, does anyone have any tips for a mac book pro user and this site

Anyway things going ok, some slight fluid build up, but this seems to be slowly going.

Pins and needles lot less as with the shooting pains, but area still numb and sensitive to the touch - so no massage

Also nipple is creased and sunk - does anyone have any tips, or advice on length of time this may stay. Its a shame as area apart from that look ok ish considering its week 3

Bruising gone, area sort of bumpy especially with arms raised, and looks sort of odd, maybe like had some sort of chest accident

Again tips on massage, stretching, exercise etc that i can and should be starting now is welcome

I plan to start some light cardio this week, bike and walking with a view to a run next  - again any tips or advise welcome

thanks and any other tips welcome

Offline thetodd

Your goal of looking ok in six weeks is not going to happen, hate to be blunt but you really need to know or you will feel depressed down the line. The post op result is the probably the best your ever going to see your chest its sort of unnaturally flat, and from there-on in its a bit of a rollercoaster i mean at 6 weeks is sort of when the honeymoon phase is over and you start to notice more stuff and you can start to get apprehensive. But it does clear up eventually trust me on that, there are plenty on here in the same boat as you as far as recovery goes.

Visually your chest may look ok, seriously people wont look twice but you need to be strong enough in your head to be able to take your top off after 6 weeks which most people are not when put to the test. If you are confident enough to do it then fair play, but after years of hiding/concealing it you need time for your body/mind to adjust

Recovery is a shit process, and the dull pains aswell as visual indicators will remind you of this on a daily basis i think this really should start to be emphasised to patients but realistically your talking 6months to a year for recovery.

Just keep on doing what your doing massage when Levick says its ok, it wont feel nice but its a gentle massage. Stretching is not something that needs to be done, eat healthily and take it easy thats all you can do.
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Thetodd,

Thanks for the note and trust me under no illusion this will look right in 6 weeks, had a long chat to  Levick about that and he made it clear.

However I went ahead as see it as long terms so if it's not this holiday it's the next, plus taking your shirt off with or without is one and the same to me when you come to the crunch.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
As someone who's about to hit the 3 month mark and would certainly not take my top off in public (nothing psychological, just my right side would look weird to almost anyone) I would echo what thetodd has said above.

But you've done the right thing. You might not be ready for this coming holiday, but you will be for any in future years, just look at it as a lifetime investment.

Offline Pdc41

• Posting Member
Hi

Just thought I would update on progress etc, if only I could add pics.

Recovery is fine, the movement is back to normal, some tenderness if I press hard enough still

Re looks I have some creased nipples, scar tissue mainly on one side which caused a bump which has led to a sort of crease in the skin.

Saying all that I felt fine to take the t shirt off on holiday, so went for it. I was not going to spend it out the water and missing out on quality time with my son.

yes felt a bit odd and probably spent a lot of time looking at people to see if they were looking at my chest. However no more than I used when had gyne

I got one odd stare, and that was at the creasing, but nothing that caused any major embarrassment and I also passed the kid test, with no 4 to 5 year olds pointing and asking questions

I say this to try to add some perspective to all these discussions on progress, looks etc etc. at the ends the day as we suffer a lot as its in our heads, that's not to say it's made up and not a issue, but to others it's nothing.

I will add pics as soon as I can get the Mac to upload them.

thanks to all those who offered me help and advise and now I can get on with the next stages of recovery and also the motivation it's given me to keep up with the healthy life style

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024