Author Topic: So you think you have it bad...Prepare for hell...  (Read 6981 times)

Offline 2AshamedToSay

I have been overweight since I was about 16.  I am a 21 year old male, about 6'1, 285 lbs.  I have been considering getting surgery for gynoclamastia, but the surgeon i saw said that he really didnt think he could do anything to help me.  His jaw actually dropped when he saw my condition.  Also my medical insurance wouldnt even cover the operation even if he thought he could do something about it.

My condition has caused me to be very self aware and embarrased.

Prepare yourselves for the worst.

http://ultimatuner.com/other/private/hell.jpg

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 09:24:14 PM by 2AshamedToSay »

Offline mikey1984

• Posting Member
I would also recommend working off some of the weight.  I'm 6'2" and was 240lbs and I got down to about 180lbs now but my gyno was more tissue than fat.  I just had sugery on October 18th With Dr. Ram Kalus in Columbia, SC.  My insurance did cover mine mainly because of my family history of breast cancer and I was having a lot of swelling and pain from it.  I'll tell you now though I feel like I have been beat with a baseball bat on my chest it does hurt after sugery and these drain tubes and bulbs suck.  If you want to know more feel free to message me.

Offline 2AshamedToSay

This is the first forum I have ever visited about this problem, and I am glad that I stumbled onto it.  I am honestly surprised to have gotten a response as quickly as this.  

I was talking with my fiance last night about it because I was really upset about the whole thing.  She told me that I had to lose weight before getting the surgery done but I have tried to lose weight.  Its also hard to do any cardio exercises with these "things" because they actually bounce when I run so it hurts.  I will see another surgeon in my area and see what he/she has to say.

Thank you guys for your support, and i would appreciate any further support and suggestions you have to offer.

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
For cardio, what about doing some stationary bike to start with and maybe some elliptical?  EVen better, just go for walks (fast, slow, whatever) and watch your diet!  If you don't change your diet (if it's bad at the moment) than you won't see much results.

Offline mikey1984

• Posting Member
I lost about 60lbs about 2 years ago and kept it off.  This is how I did it.  Stop drink sodas and sweet tea, I drank nothing but water.  Cut you calories back there are many websites that can give you a round about idea on how many calories to take in.  Exercise I started walking and running and lifting weights. Any physical activity is better than none. It's not easy but you have to get modivated and work at it.  Putting up of picture of someone you want to look like helps also.  I am one day post op now and I am very happy so far but I haven't got to see my new chest yet but i will tomorrow.  I will try to post some pictures.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Did you post those pics about a year ago?  You actually look familiar.

You mentioned your fiance.  Good for you. At least you're not allowing your condition to stop you from being in a relationship.

Ever try on her bra....just for fun? ;)

Offline iamvinhy

• Posting Member
All I can recommend is a good diet, lots of water and plenty of walking. You should also see your doctor about being put on Reductil - its a drug which helps you lose weight rapidly but safely if you qualify for it.

After toning up a bit and lose a bit of fat, you should be able to have the operation done to remove your Gynecomastia. Goodluck! :)

Offline 2AshamedToSay

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Ordinarily I would agree about the losing weight thing, but really man, if you can afford the op you should have it as soon as possible so you can get on with your life.

Offline iamvinhy

• Posting Member
I dont think he'd be able to get surgery yet - but then again I could be wrong. I was told that I had to lose 20KG or so because if they operated on my chest, due to the fat deposits there was a large chance that I would have a concaved chest afterwards ..

I could be wrong :P

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
2Ashamed - Normally I'd say loose some weight first, but you need to get those suckers cut off right away.  

Loose weight after surgery and explore the possibility of revision surgery after you get down to a normal weight.

Are you healthy enough for surgery?  You know...anestheisa and what not.

I know there may be a money issue there, but you've got to find a way to make it happen.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 05:56:40 PM by jc71 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024