Author Topic: Compression Vest  (Read 2934 times)

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
Hi,
Did anybody not wear a compression vest after surgery?
Just a bit confused as my surgen said i will not have to wear one, as all i need is a tight bandage for a few days !....just a little confused as i have seen everyoine rave about them........what would happen if i didn't wear one? would it damage my chest? or just take longer to heal?
If any one didn't wear one could you please tell me your results and stuff....thanks

Offline newman1975

• Posting Member
Well as far as I can work out regarding to wear or not to wear a vest is very surgeon specific. Different surgeons have different opinions. All I can say, is that if you trust your surgeon, trust his advice. Everyone (and their surgery) is different. What is right for one person may not necessarily be right for another. :)

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
Levick told me that after surgery your skin and the underlying tissue have been separated, the compression vest keeps the tissue's together preventing fluid from building up between the layers, if one wasnt used fluid (swelling) could build up and prolonging the healing period considerably, altho if your having the areola incission and there isnt any lipo needed it may not be as crucial to the healing process, also if there is alot of lipo needed more tissue will be separated and would increase the need to prevent any unnessacery fluid build up, i have a friend who had the areola incission and he never used a vest and he was fine!, but if i were you m8 id spend the extra cash on one anyway just to be safe!, no point in taking unnessacery chances for the sake of a few quid. (ya Cheap sod) lol :D :D :D ;)

Chris ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 01:51:53 PM by chestrockwell »

Offline irish_dude

• Silver Member
  • Op performed with Mr.Levick, 19/8/2005
Hi,
Did anybody not wear a compression vest after surgery?
Just a bit confused as my surgen said i will not have to wear one, as all i need is a tight bandage for a few days

Mr.Levick suggested that I wear mine for 3 weeks after surgery, then for another 3 weeks at night after that.

He said that he didn't wear one himself after his surgery and it all worked out fine.

However, I'd err on the side of caution here. You won't do yourself any damage by wearing one...

...however! If you do wear one, make sure that it isn't redicuously tight and it restricting circulation and stopping you from breathing!

Mr.Levick mentioned that one patient lost a nipple because the vest was so tight that it stopped blood getting to the nipple.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 12:26:20 PM by irish_dude »

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
question for anybody who's worn the vest after the op?

when you finally get to take it off for good, how did the chest react? did it increase in size or anything else, or remain the same as when the vest was off?

Id also get one just to be safe although they are a pain particulary the eurosurgical sleeveless one which cuts into the arms.

Regarding the guy who lost a nipple, he must be devastated after going through all that to then end up losing a nipple. I wasnt told that the vest shouldnt be that tight.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024