Author Topic: A few post-op questions  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Well, decided to forget about it over xmas but on a countdown now for later this month with Levick. A few questions have occurred though, which I'm sure a good number of you know all about

Whats the pain and restriction of movement like after the op? I'm in on a thurs so obviously fri and the weekend off, but was wondering whether it was best to have the first couple of days of the following week off, or maybe the whole week? I don't do a physical job but I am on the go a lot with meetings etc

Do you still feel groggy the day after the op or is that mainly confined to the day itself? Would I be ok to travel (not me driving though)?

I think someone on here mentioned something about a roller that you use when you reach the point of needing to massage your chest. Did I imagine this, and if I didn't, are they any good and where do you get them from?

Is it really hard to sleep after the op? I've noticed I never sleep on my back, but I guess you have no other option. If so, how long do you have to avoid sleeping on your front for?

Are there any kinds of gentle exercise you can do  during the weeks shortly after the op, just to keep you vaguely fit as it seems to be a long time to be sat idle and probably putting on weight etc?

Cheers for any random responses to any of the above questions

ps what do people do to get these before and after pics? do you get someone else to take them or just snap yourself with a mobile or something? whats the best site for sticking them on without paying?

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
yikes thats alot of questions, my opinions below based on my experience.

Best to take the week off in my opinion. Your movement is very resticted as your tight under the arms where the incisions are, and reaching for things is tough. Regarding travelling the next day, you will be fine, you shouldnt feel groggy.

The roller can be bought from play.com its not bad helps save your hands abit, 3-4 weeks before needing it though.

I lied on my back for 2+ weeks propped up with 3 pillows for about a week. It takes some getting used to and i dont think you sleep great but its a small pain for a great gain.

Walking would be the best exercise but you'd be better off just relaxing and being lazy for one week. When i had to walk anywhere i ended up walking like john wayne until i cut the bandages off. They are tight and keep your shoulders back.

Without paying their is imageshack.com and photobucket.com
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:18:55 AM by stonecold »

Offline irish_dude

• Silver Member
  • Op performed with Mr.Levick, 19/8/2005
Whats the pain and restriction of movement like after the op?

I didn't have any problems, I could have gone back to work the day after the op. HOWEVER! some movements can be very painful and will hit you all of a sudden in the first week post-op. I remember twisting my torso as I go out of the car a few days after the op and crying like a baby on the ground in Tescos car park. But 'normal' activity wasn't a problem.

Do you still feel groggy the day after the op or is that mainly confined to the day itself? Would I be ok to travel (not me driving though)?

No pain at all, groggy for the first few post-op hours, but I was walking around The Priory and nipping out for a ciggie after about six hours. Not a problem to travel - just don't drive yourself.

Is it really hard to sleep after the op? I've noticed I never sleep on my back, but I guess you have no other option. If so, how long do you have to avoid sleeping on your front for?

You won't be in any pain at all. I normally sleep on my front, so it was difficult to re-adjust to sleeping on my back, but overall sleeping wasn't a problem at all.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride. You're in very good hands with Mr.Levick and all at the Priory. You'll be wondering what all the fuss was about when it's all over. I was cakin myself going in and grinning coming out.

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Thats great, I wasn't meaning for any one person to answer 'em all, just hoping anyone with any random info might chip in

I'm pretty sure I'll be bricking it as well come the day so both your responses are quite reassuring

Come to think of it, there's probably much worse things you could have to have done, and without being properly prepared in many cases, so I should probably just try and chill out and stop being such a wuss  ;D

ps irish dude....having a ciggie a few hours post-op? Don't they have any restrictive guidelines about that as well same as the booze? tbh I may use this as an incentive to stop anyway

oh yeah I thought of another question as well. How quickly after the op do they take those drains out? I assumed they were left in for quite a bit, but if people are up and wandering about shortly afterwards, I guess not then

Cheers again anyway

Looking forward to it (sort of)

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
It really depends on the person, some recover better than others and some aint in so much pain as others etc etc.

My experience and i had a larger than average amount removed.  

Pain wasnt too bad at all after the op, the next day i felt like cr@p though and had to travel home to scotland alone (bad mistake on my part).  I would recommend a full week off.

I didnt feel groggy the day after, i did feel tired though, if someone is picking you up then you will be fine travelling home.

I normally sleep on my side and found sleeping on my back a nightmare.  What i did was have a couple of pillows propping up my back a bit and i had cushions at either side of me so i couldnt roll over when i was sleeping.  I slept like that for about 2 weeks.

I went cardio training after 10 days i think, light Eliptical runner training, 4 weeks i was doing light weights. After about 6 weeks i was back to full training at normal weight.

My drains came out the next morning before i got up to go and i have to admit it was one of the most painful experiences i have ever had.  NOw though i believe Mr Levick removes the drains himself and the experience is much much less painful.

As for the ciggie, yes they have restrictive guidelines but those are only guidelines, they cant stop you :)
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline orrible

I was worried about the drain removal as i heard it was the worst part. Never experienced it though as i didnt have drains in. Nor did another guy who had the op the same day as me. Not sure how often they are used.

Offline geg100

• Silver Member
geeza stonecold i had drains in on the same day as you!

Offline geg100

• Silver Member
ps hows the scar tissue like?decreasing at all stonecold?

Offline orrible

Geg think chestrockwell was drainless like me.

Scar tissue is ok seems to have decreased abit i think. Its 2 months post op tommorow for us, so i plan on getting some pics up next week. To be honest i havent been thinkin about it half as much as i was and am feeling happier now. However i still think theirs a way to go.

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
How long did you have to keep the drains in for after you came round then geg?

Offline geg100

• Silver Member
jus til the next day.by the way people arent exaggerating.i hav a good pain threshold but it was very uncomfortable taking it out by the nurse!it wouldnt of stopped me tho and if i had to do it 50 times again i would

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Yeah, I girl I know had to have some sort of skin graft and then have some drains in for a bit afterwards and she said it wasn't nice

Sounds like a bit of a lottery as to whether you need them then........like you say, its all a bit of short term pain for some major long term gain, so I'm not gonna let it put me off

Are you confined to bed if you have to have them then or can you move around at all?

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
They are just tubes attached to a little bottle, you can get up and carry the bottles.  You are not confined to bed.

I should have mentioned it is a short term pain getting them removed, although immensely sore when i had it done it only lasted like a minute or 2 then subsided.  Probably like a hard kick in the nads  ;)

Offline geg100

• Silver Member
thats wat it was like.a kick in da balls.but instead of making u feel sick or lasting for ages it goes within 2 .but those 2 mins damn..................

drains are used depending on whether the gyno itself is large/moderate/minor.if minor like chestrockwell or stonecold no point but if more than that there will be much more fluid buildup and more space between dermal layer and muscle layer so will be needed.

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
hmmm I reckon I have an above average amount so I'll expect the worst re the drains

Mind you, I had mumps a year ago and my balls swelled to a ridiculous size and every time I moved it felt liked I'd been kicked in 'em, so I guess I can live with this if I must

Owww, brought a tear to my eye just remebering that :o

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024