Author Topic: a few more post op questions !! thanks  (Read 2961 times)

Offline stujam

• Posting Member
Guys took off bandages today 3 days early as they was all falling off and was not giveing any pressure (did speak to mr levick)

right hand side is flat as could not get any flatter ! but still very soft and numb ......did anyone else have this ?

left hand side is still swollan also where the drains was there is a big lump wich was comeing out of bandages this is still there and left is more swollan than right but feels better than right not so numb ?

anyone else had smiller to this

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello stujam

You are not reporting anything that sounds out of the ordinary.  You will find the front of the pec area quite numb for several weeks.  Many of the nerve endings have been cut and it takes quite a while for them to grow back again.

You will notice all kinds of lumps and bumps of differing size and shape.  It is also common for one side to look quite different from the other in terms of size and shape.  At this early stage, there is nothing to worry about.  I am now just over two weeks post-op with Mr L.  I have a large lump just below each incision point, which I am taking to be scar tissue.  These should shrink and flatten over the comming weeks, especially when I start massaging from week four.

You will see considerable size and shape change as your chest settles back into it's new contour.  Each side of my chest was concave at first, but has now filled out (not to the old breast shape I hasten to add!)

Just make sure you have your pressure garment on.  If you think you need extra pressure, wear a t-shirt underneath your garment.

But if you are still at all concerned, don't hesitate to Call Mr L again.

Other than that, I hope everything else is going well for you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:20:32 PM by phantom »

Offline stujam

• Posting Member
thanks phantom yes iam wearing the vest and have a vest under it for more pressure , the vest tho is a pain hurting my sides !! but i guess its all worth it in the long run ...but the right hand side is what i have dreamed of and im sure the  left will b the same  :) im just so happy i have done this ! am already planning for the nexed 6 weeks and i can take my little boy swimming just cannot wait this has changed my life guys !! and anyone thinking of it please go for it i can promice you althow you will be in pain for the 1st 2 days you will smile to yourself and think YES YES  YES

im going to try and get some photos up soon so u can have a look !!

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Great to hear you are happy.  It's the 'small' things everyone else understandibly take for granted that makes such a huge difference to our lives.

Offline stujam

• Posting Member
Very very true ! must say only been wearing  my vest from 11am this morn and its not very comfy at all preferd the bandages !! haha can someone tell me how tight this needs to be cause the sides are cutting into my skin ? also on the right pec (not boob ) sometimes when im walking i have a nigle pain in to it very hard to discribe but soon as i slow down or put my hand on it it goes anyone else had this !!

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
It's my guess that everyones experience with the compression vest is going to be different.  If it's cutting in anywhere, then it is probably too tight.  Any kind of movement is likely to cause some discomfort - even walking.  You may find that going down stairs needs extra care too.

The point of the garment is to keep things in place during healing and prevents excess pain by holding things in place if you make any sudden movements.  So don't adjust it to make it as tight as possible, rather as tight as is comfortable.  If it is causing you any discomfort at rest, then drop to the next size up with the fastenings.  You may find that after a few days as you the garment becomes slightly streched with use, you may need to tighten up a little, or put a tshirt under.

I don't wear a t-shirt, but do put a couple of sheets of toilet paper under the velcro straps as they dig in a little.

Hope that helps.

Offline stujam

• Posting Member
Thanks Phantom !! i think im gonna put a teashirt on and put the vest on the end tags ,so it still should be tight but more comfy for me ....this is why this board is so good as u have been there u can give good advice and think its great !!  :D thanks mate

p.s when i do my photos how do i attach them to the board ?

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Hi Folks

Have to admit I've had the compression vest on since thurs and been periodically uncomfortable

I suspect that is due to me still being bruised and perhaps healing a little slower

Had a combination of various random pains and itching. Nothing that bad though, more just irritating....particularly at night

Does it still give the same compression wearing a t-shirt or vest under the garment?

Have people been taking their vests off for washing purposes etc? How long is it ok to leave them off for?

Has anybody tried washing the vest itself yet? Is this ok or does it damage it?

btw phantom I notice my chest has filled out a little since the bandages came off. Its still ok at the mo but I'd worry if it did any more. Has this happened with you or did it level out?

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello Robin

I wash mine about twice/week in the bathroom sink, moderately hot water with bio washing powder.  Hand wash for about five mins and then dry on the radiator.  It's fine to go without it for an hour or two if your just going to be at home not doing anything that involves much movement - so put on a DVD or something.

As for shape change, it's hard to say because everyone is different.  There's every chance that your chest may swell more than it should before it goes down to its new contour.  I find I am flatter in the morning, but then I tend to sleep mostly on my front anyway.

You have been wearing your vest for a few days now and I say it was unlikely to swell anymore.  I am a little concerned about the lower half of my pec area, but then along the bottom it is still sore with pressure and I can feel that there is slightly inflamed tissue under the skin.

I know it's an anxious time for all of us, but we have to wait and reserve judgement for at least three months.  Our bodies have been under significant trauma and it will take several weeks to get back to a new 'normality'.  And don't forget that none of us have started the massaging part of it all.  We don't massage the area because it feels nice, rather it helps reduce and flatten any scar tissue that is currently protuding.  It's all part of the healing process.

I am frustrated that despite a careful diet since surgery (more sensible than before surgery) I have put on a little weight rather than lost any.  It's annoying, but I accept that my body is still under stress from Mr L shoving his ten inch ram-rod in each pec for 45 minutes each :o :o :o ;)

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
lol, yeah I think its time mine got a bit of a wash

I'm a bit annoyed about the putting on weight thing too, although in the grand scheme of things I guess its not the end of the world, just more work to do once I can get back to training

I keep forgetting that on top of all the stress of surgery, I actually stopped smoking four weeks ago in advance of the op, which is sometimes a trauma/change for people in its own right

Many people put on a bit of weight as I think that also effects your metabolism as well

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024