Author Topic: Poland Surgery Tips  (Read 17534 times)

Offline ace

• Bronze Member
This is intended to be a summary of points that may be useful to those travelling to Poland for Surgery (specifically based on visits to the Intermed Clinic at Slubice  http://www.esculap-service.de/english/plasticsurgery/). For specific experience and other discussion please use the ‘Poland Surgery’ thread (http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=8;action=display;num=1130097228;start=0). If you have been to the clinic and have any further tips for preparation or whilst there that may be useful, then please to add them below.

-Exchange your Pounds for Euros at your local Post Office; they will not charge commission or a handling fee (as your bank might) and you will receive the exact conversion rate.

-Local Post Offices and Banks (as opposed to many High Street branches) will need to order the Euros in, which you will receive  two days after purchase. e.g purchase on Monday, receive on Wednesday etc, so factor this into your timescales.

-You can exchange your Euros to Pounds commission free at the Post Office on your return. (This is handy for taking ‘a bit extra just in case’ and you will not lose anything when returning and converting back)

-You will pay for your taxi from Berlin Airport, Germany to Slubice, Poland in Euros.

-You will pay the clinic for your surgery in Euros. (there are no cheque / card facilities)

-The currency of Poland is the Zloty. However since the nearest town to Slubice,  Poland is Frankfurt, Germany (a five minute bridge-walk, with passport check), the Euro is accepted in most of Slubice’s shops, bars, hotel, restaurants etc.(best to confirm by simply saying ‘Euro?’ when entering the premises). The prices will be totalled on the tills in Zlotys and then converted by calculator to Euros. Change will be given in Euros. Hence you will NOT need any Polish currency.

-In an effort to travel light, there is no need to pack night clothes /pyjamas as you will be provided with surgical tops, trousers and socks. The rooms are centrally heated, which you can adjust hence you will not feel cold. Bath and hand towels are also provided.

-To travel light, at the simplest level, you will have a set of clothes that you arrive to the clinic in and a set of clothes that you leave the clinic with. At the clinic you will wear the surgical outfit. So all you’ll ever be carrying is one set of clothes.

-Travel with a bag that can be wheeled or held horizontal in the hand; a backpack may be uncomfortable after surgery for you or you may not want your chest/back to bear extra weight whilst healing.

-Although the Nurses can understand/speak very basic English, it may be best to learn/write  a few words or  phrases in Polish eg pain, numb, vegetarian, thankyou etc.

-You will be given a remote alarm to summon Nurses should there be a problem / concern – (not a general substitute for room service !)

-Meal times are usually 8am-2pm-8pm (give or take 15mins either side). There are an additional 2-3 tea breaks (usually fruit teas with no milk or coffee). 2pm is the heftiest fayre where they will cook whatever you want them to. The other meals are traditional breads, cheeses, salad and meat spread/slices. If you eat or snack in between these times, you may want to purchase items in the UK before you go, or from local shops before you go the  clinic; as it can be a bit of a hassle to get changed whilst you are bandaged, or if it is raining to go two streets away for a mars bar! Also it is most likely you will have large 100 Euro and 50 Euro notes and you want buy a bag of crisps that work out to 10 pence- which might be too much for some small shops.

-Do not eat six hours before your surgery.

-Remember to take a 2 pin adaptor for your electrical appliances.

-Might be useful to know your height and weight beforehand.

You may welcome the 50 hours of isolation post op and rest or reflect; you may start you first novel or become bored out of your head. There are approx 90 channels in Polish and German. CNN is in English and a couple of music channels are in English/Polish.
On the day of the op, you are likely to be drained and tired. On the next days, you can
Venture out into Slubice and/or Frankfurt (you will need passport for checking at border)
Take a dvd player or laptop with you to while away the hours
Take English books, magazines with you – do not think I will buy then there, as you will not ( why should you at the end of Germany and beginning of Poland?)

-Leave behind any magazines that you do not require

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
Hi Ace,

I must say that was a very comprehensive list of tips and suggestions. I don’t think I can think of anything to add to it…..but I will try, so here goes!!  ;D

1)      The German movie channel at 8 or 9 pm turns into English TV for 2 hours; the schedule is made of jay leno and a comedy etc. I can’t remember the channel but it should only take you a few minutes to flick through  :o.
2)      Don’t be shy to ask for proper tea or coffee…..Remember shy burns get nowt !!! Translated into estuary English ‘ if one doesn’t ask, one will not receive ‘  8)
3)      Internet Access : If you leave the clinic and turn left, walk straight ahead until you reach the far end of the square (park type thing) (150 m) , turn left……walk straight up for 25 meters and then turn right at the shop…..if you walk along for 20 meters and look over to the left you should see a Barron bit of land and some bungalow type units .One of these is an Internet café….something like 30 p for half an hour…or maybe less. You should be able to see signs for it written in ENGLISH. Be warned that most of the PC will be taken up by loads of little ankle biters (kids) playing DOOM   :D .
4)      The night before the Op you will be staying in a Hotel a few minutes away from the Clinic. Don’t spend all night in your room, get down stairs and talk to the female barmaid who loves to practise her English ;). Kind of cute too…..lol . You must sample the Polish beers, but remember ….NOT TO MANY!!!  ;D
5)      Just to reiterate on the point Ace made…….Please leave some English reading material for the Next English patient….:). Preferably Fiesta or Penthouse!!!  :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 09:14:55 AM by markashleigh1979 »

Offline jj1989

did either of you use your mobile over there? reckon it would work?

Offline markashleigh1979

Mine didn't because i am with Virgin, but i am sure all other networks should.....just go on their website and check :) .

Offline ace

• Bronze Member
did either of you use your mobile over there? reckon it would work?

vodafone worked, no problem

Offline markashleigh1979

I got the job  ;D

Offline markashleigh1979

Hi Ace, can you give us an update on your progress :)

Offline ace

• Bronze Member
Hi Ace, can you give us an update on your progress :)

Hiya Mate,

2.5 weeks since op now, had the stitches out from nipple area last friday, ie a week ago, healed quite well. The brusing colour of yellowish-black has gone from chest area, the numbness has mostly gone from the right side/nipple - which was the smallest of the two sides. Some numbness on LHS but half of what it was like 2 weeks ago.
Wearing the compression vest 24-7. Was told to do this for one month day and nite, and then 1 month nite only.

I'll put pics in due course, my brothers gone on hols and taken my camera, iv just go the memory card.

any other aspect I haven't covered, let me know.
ta
ace
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 04:44:19 AM by ace »

Offline markashleigh1979

hi, sounds good!! How do you feel about the results so far?

Offline markashleigh1979

Hello Ace, how's it going? Any updates?

Offline skyewalka

Hi everyone

Im new to this site & think its really good. I want to have surgery & have heard dr levicks name mentioned alot. any one know his contact data? Thanx  :)

Offline markashleigh1979

Hi MATE,
You have posted on a thread that is talking about getting the op done over in Poland!! ;D...So, i am guessing that many here don't know levicks details.....as we count afford the consultation never mind the op......lol.  8) :P
If you go to the UK page and look down the list you will see levicks name in some of the thread titles....thats the best bet to find someone who knows....or start your own thread...or just google his name and find his clinic :)..,

Good luck mate & Welcome

Offline markashleigh1979

Hi,
Me and Ian went over to Poalnd at the start of this month . I just want to confirm that it is ok to go out all day , the day after surgery. Me, Ian and his missus went over to Germany which was a 10 minute walk from the clinic. We Had a nice Mc Donalds and then went on to sample a few of theirs beers ( to be polite :P ) . The Town is called Frankfurt oder and has two Malls which sell pretty much everything and a load of restaurants  ;D :o .

Mark .

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024