Author Topic: NHS have let me down  (Read 2262 times)

Offline SOAD

• Posting Member
My story so far:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=8;action=display;num=1158277363

On an appointment where I was supposed to be discussing dates/details for surgery, here is what happened:

A random different doctor... who I had to explain everything to again; he went to get the main doctor, Dr. Musa, to ask about dates or something. When he came back, he was with Dr. Musa, who then decided he wanted to examine me, and when he did, he decided on the spot they wouldn't be able to do the surgery they had talked about, but would have to CUT large scarring cuts down and across, and do skin removal etc. Basically, leave me with really bad scarring.

The inconsistency in their talks with me is apalling and again they asked me to 'go away and think about it.' They really seem like a bunch of unorganised guys that don't really know anywhere near enough about their subject matter. Just a simple example:
I asked if I would need a compression vest - "nono, you won't need anything like that, this is a simple surgery. "
This contrasted with telling me they would need to cut skin off. We all know a compression vest is useful in the recovery process. I am beginning to think I know more about the condition than they do!

I have been to the hospital about 5 times now and each time have seen one of the doctor's minnions who knows very little about gyne, and each time made little progress in setting a date for surgery. Despite this they are yet to book me in at an ENDO, which at this time is one of the most important things I should be doing. I have asked them about this and they say it is not important.

There is no way I trust them to do a surgery of this difficulty on me (whether I would even be able to get the surgery is another question), especially since I have unilateral gyne which is even harder to make symettrical etc.

My next step is to revisit my local GP, demand an endo appointment.

I may have enough money for surgery. I am desperate to speak with Levick.

NHS = joke.
19 Years old, unilateral gyne in left chest

Offline outertrial

Yes. I feel very let down by the NHS. Everyone tells you different things and no one will take responsibility for you. I thought Id finally got there last year when Id jumped thorugh all the GP and endo hoops only to get to the hospital to see a PS who told me it wasnt that bad and that I should rethink because hed have to take so much out that Id have loose skin! I pointed out that this was a contradiction in terms and he relented and said hed do it but I had to lose 15kgs!

Im not overweight and the nurse there was quite shocked and agreed with me when I said that I have been 60kgs before but was quite underweight.

I went away for months and lost 10kgs and went back and saw another bloke who seemed keen to do it and was more helpful but now the goalposts have moved and theres no funding... blah blah blinking blah.

Does anyone know the cheapest and most expensive uk price.Im in contact with a surgeon called Jesus Benito in Spain who from priliminary enquiries seems good but he costs 2500 quid, shouldnt surgery in Europe be cheaper than that?

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
yea nhs told me to wear a bra!!!  :-[

so i went to poland and am recoevring  :D
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

GynO_DuDe

Damn, I hope it goes well for me ... im on the waiting list at the moment and as im 19 and haven't got £4,000 to just throw at a operation its my only chance.

The surgeon was quite sympathetic with me and described the operation exactly the way ive read it on the forum. I also confirmed if he'd done it many times before on other men he said yes.

So I just wish everything goes well for me ...

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the NHS though! Go back to the doctor and explain.

Offline worriedmum

• Posting Member
Im so sorry you guy's are having such a hard time with the NHS...
I would be thinking of going back to gp and being referred to another ps for a second oppinion..
I have to say my sons experience of NHS has been a good one all in from seeing pedatrician to surgery was around 5 months which for nhs is great .We had been seing gp for a while before hand about  his gyne  but gp understandably was reluctant due to his age,he was thinking it was age related.
Im happy to say he is three weeks post op,brusing is all but gone,swelling is minimal result looks great ,he is back to work and thinking about boax-size next week ...
P

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024