Author Topic: question about drains after surgery  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
I heard that some people get "drains" after surgery. what exactly is it that is draining? is it blood?  ???

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I heard that some people get "drains" after surgery. what exactly is it that is draining? is it blood?  ???

It's fluid that builds up in the open cavity they create by doing lipo.   Looking down at my containers that currently are hanging on my compression vest, it looks like mostly blood.  I was told that if that fluid is not drained, it's harder for the tissues to snug up and heal.  
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Yo

Mine was mostly blood for awhile. Then after that it was yellowish/orange fluid.

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
and how large are the drains? i was hoping after surgery that I'd be able to hide it from everyone using some bulky clothing...but i dunno if that'd be possible with drains hanging down the sides. also...do the drains fill up and then you have to manually empty them or something? sorry for the questions but i'm so confused.  :-/

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
The drains are basically two small bulbs (one on each side) that's connected to a hose that goes into your chest.

You empty them in the toilet when they fill to a certain level (Dr. will tell you how much).

They're held into your sides by stitches.

After emptying the bulbs, you squeeze the bulbs, this will create a vacuum/suction that will draw the fluid out of the chest.

Dr. will take them out in about a week.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:32:57 PM by jc71 »

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
What jc71 said...  I got mine today and they are supposed to come out on Monday.  5 days in all.  With all the gross stuff that's coming out right now, I'm glad they're there. ::)

Oh, and I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll try putting on some loose cargo pants with a long shirt not tucked in.  That way I can put the drain bulbs in the pockets.  The hoses should be just long enough, I think. ;)

Yo

I hid mine pretty well.

I used safety pins and pinned them flat to my vest.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Me too. I pinned mine to the sides of my vest.

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
What the hell? LOL This is what has to be done to make sure it drains?!

WOW

Am I ever glad I just let my body absorb them. lol
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

DrBermant

Drains can be an important tool for surgery.  However, I prefer techniquies that maximize comfort and minimize the need for drains.  Drains suck extra fluid from the surgical site.  Here is a picture of a drain and the drain bulb used for a Tumescent Tummy Tuck.  

Drains can mean more discomfort, a separate scar, and can be a source of infection.  It is very uncommon for my male chest sculpture patients to need a drain.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline nomoregyno

• Posting Member
Me too. I pinned mine to the sides of my vest.

same here

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024