Author Topic: Do I have gyne or what?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
Hi folks, new poster here.  A little backstory-- I'm 25, and think I might (probably?) have gyne.  I first noticed it the summer before I started college.  I noticed I seemed to have more fat in my chest than I should have, and it was kinda noticable through shirts.  I remember that was when I developed the habit I still have of always adjusting my shirt to minimize the shape of my chest showing through.

Anyway, throughout college I gained a bit of weight and got a bit chubby, and eventually...a few years ago...decided to work out and lose weight.  I'm 5'8 and went from around 180-185 (with little muscle mind you) to around 155.  I've hovered around 155-165, mostly fluctuating amount of muscle and a bit of fat, and while I've never shed that very last layer of fat, I'd say I'm in fairly good shape. 

The thing is, the amount of fat in my chest has barely changed at all throughout all of this, much to my disappointment after I lost all that weight.  I've asked about this on medical messageboards and people say "oh some people have tougher times losing fat in some areas than others", but I've been at this for quite some time now, with hardly an change.  It's obviously not terrible, and at some angles it looks perfectly fine and can almost be passed off as muscle, haha. ......but usually not.  And sometimes, especially I've noticed if I'm holding something heavy with one hand and letting my arm hang, that side of my chest will feel especially fatty.

This is something I've been heavily self-conscious about for years, and quite frankly I'm really getting sick of it.  I shouldn't have this fatty of a chest after all the exercising and good eating I've done.

You be the judge.  Some of these pics I'm pulling/pushing at the fat to try and show what is there, so that's obiously not how it usually looks.
warning, gratuitous moob shots:

sitting down (it bunches up more when sitting down or kinda leaning over like this)

i'm pushing it forward with my thumb there

pushing it up

pulling it forward

regular side shot

So, what do you guys think?  I know they're not the best shots; maybe I'd take more if you think better shots could help determine if I have gyne.  Or maybe it's obvious.

Also, to make matters even more complicated, my hair is starting to thin out and I want to start taking propecia or avodart for it.  But those drugs cause gyne growth in a percentage of users, and I'm worried that it might even exacerbate my problem.  I just don't know what to do.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 05:52:25 PM by Fat-Elvis »

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Welcome to the site.  :)

It looks like you do have gynecomastia.  I would avoid the products known to sometimes cause gyne.  You may be more likely than others for them to have that effect on you.   Unfortunately with gyne, you can't just diet or work it off like a beer gut.  It's part of your body's make-up, literally like women's breasts.  Assuming your hormones are working properly (see an endocrynologist to find out), then you should see a plastic surgeon if you want to get rid of the condition.  You've found a great web site for finding out how countless others are dealing with the same thing.  Once again, welcome!
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
Welcome here man ! You're in good shape really but I can see some gyne there... It is not a serious case, I'd call it moderate. Follow the recommendations of Mr_Nip and see what happens next. Good luck in any case. Be sure you can find the help and advice you need on this forum, feel free to post !

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
So I should just find a endocrynologist in my area and ask to have my hormones checked or what?  What's the best way to find one, and is there anything particular I should look for in a endocrynologist?  I'm looking online and there seem to be endocrynologists of different specialties.  I live in Madison, WI by the way.

Also, if you get surgery for gyne, is there any likelihood that it will just grow back?  I mean this is just fat, right?  One fear I have of gyne surgery (aside from the price and it not going well) is the idea of it just coming back.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:34:40 PM by Fat-Elvis »

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!

Also, if you get surgery for gyne, is there any likelihood that it will just grow back?  I mean this is just fat, right?  One fear I have of gyne surgery (aside from the price and it not going well) is the idea of it just coming back.

That's why you'll want to make sure your hormones are somewhere near normal before having surgery.  Hopefully somebody near you (or Hypo-is-here, who can be pretty helpful on this topic) can pick up on this thread and give you some ideas on endos to call. 

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
Any more opinions?  Anyone know of anybody I should see in my area?

by the way how can you tell if it's fat and/or gland?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
all real gyne is technically gland, the word just gets used for the denser kind where you can feel a solid mass instead of a diffuse soft tissue. 

the shots look pretty dark on my screen so i'll defer to the rest. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
So if it all feels soft and I don't notice any real "dense" tissue, what does that mean as far as..taking care of it?

Also, I updated my post with brighter pictures.  Sorry about the darkness.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 05:52:53 PM by Fat-Elvis »

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
nothing more than a difference in removal technique.  that suggests either lipo only or combined lipo and excision.  a ps will guess better based on an exam but sometimes they have to change approach on the fly once they open up too.  thanks for the pictures edit and for sure on that gyne. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024