Author Topic: Bandage removal - Rash :-(  (Read 7744 times)

Offline bfg2000

• Posting Member
I removed my bandage after 7 days and all was well for a day. Then I started to itch so decided to wear something under my compression vest, take antihistamines and smother in antiseptic cream (oh, and a trusty bag of peas to take the swelling down. Now today, the rash seems to look worse.

I think it must be a reaction to the surgical adhesive that the bandage was glued to me with as its exactly where the glue was. Infact I have a white bit in amongst the red where there obviously wasn't any sticky stuff!  A band across my front, over my shoulders and around both sides. The right side is by far the worst. Thankfully it doesn't itch as bad now, but it looks a right state.

Has anyone else experienced such a reaction or rash - what did you do to get rid of it. In anycase, i'm off to the Docs.

Front shot - 10 days

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:31:17 PM by bfg2000 »

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Bummer dude!  Don't worry, I'm sure it isn't permanent.  The good news though is that other than the rash the outcome looks pretty good!  Congrats!

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi BFG2000,

Yep, looks like you are allergic to the adhesive on the bandages.  I did read somewhere a couple of years ago that someone else had the same reaction, but it will of course clear up now that they are off.  I wonder if you are generally allergic to elastoplast?

One other thing .. you mention you have used ice packs (frozen peas) to help the swelling.  I have read several times that this is NOT advisable after surgery.  I don’t recall exactly what was said but it was something about the ice reducing the blood flow to the areas, which is not a good idea when tissues are trying to heal.  It might be an idea to ring Mr Levick’s office if you are not sure.

Anyhow ... keep taking it easy.  Every day your mobility should improve.  The swelling will go up and down for several months so don’t be alarmed .. it’s normal.  :)

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline bfg2000

• Posting Member
Thanks everyone, it seems to be less red today but does itch so I've got some cream to take that off a little.

TTFI, I was using the peas of swelling of the rash, not the moobs, but I hear what your saying - so thanks for that.

My mobility has indeed improved and I'm getting a little more confident with it. Its good to be back at work as I have to move around and pick things up (nothing too heavy).

Offline bfg2000

• Posting Member
The rash seems to be going down now and merging with the rash caused by my incessent itching! - aaahhh. I spoke with Mr Levick today about this, and he said that I could take the vest off for a few hours each day to get some relief - ahhhhhhhh!

I also made the executive decision to shave my growing chest hair as I'm sure that it is that, being aggrevated by the vest against my skin for 24hrs is the bulk of the problem.

I like sleeping - I don't itch ;D

Offline joe_mate2

• Posting Member
Hi BFG,

I have the same strange red band across my front aswell, see my pics in the GAUZE and TAPE post.  I'm guessing I am also allergic to the glue although I'm not allergic to anything else that I'm away of but I do have sensitive skin! Maybe your skin is sensitive aswell.

joe_mate.

Offline bfg2000

• Posting Member
In the words of Popeye - "that's all I can stands I cant stands no more!" - off with the hair, and YES - RELIEF!!

Tip for the future, if your madly itching - try shaving first, hair regrowth and skin tight compression garments don't mix!  ;Db ::)

Offline outertrial

Yeah, i got some blood blisters from the adhesive of my bandages. Theyre starting to burst now. :(

Offline bfg2000

• Posting Member
I've updated my diary, and I'd be glad to hear from others about their experiences at 4-weeks post op.
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,8779.15.html

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi bfg2000,

That swelling below the area where your boobs were, is pretty common I believe at the 4 week stage.  In fact when I went for my 1 month check up that was the first thing Paul Levick said to me, as my chest looked about the same as yours.

From what I have read of other peoples experiences after surgery with Paul Levick and with my own experience, I think the improvements are slow for several months more.

I am coming up to 5 months post op and I would guess that I’m 75-80% happy with my chest.  By looking at it every day we don’t really appreciate the slow and subtle changes that are taking place.  Consequently at the 3 month and 4 month stages I took some pics and will continue to do so every month.  It’s by comparing the pics that I can see the subtle changes that I would otherwise have missed.

I seem to recall reading a diary on here by someone (a Levick patient) who’s name I can’t remember, who said his chest fell into place around the 8 month stage.  There is also a diary by Pferdestarken (another Levick patient) who says he is 90-95% happy after 2 years.  There are other stories quoting 6 to 12 months before the final effect has been reached.  I’m pretty sure Paul Levick will tell you all this himself when you visit him next week.  I shall be seeing him next month for my 6 month check up and I already know that I will be told to be patient, which I will be.  I am only really going to see him to get advice as what I can do regarding massaging (or not) to keep the healing going in the right direction.  I would be very surprised if he said yes we will do any tweaking that may be required at this stage.

Looking back the surgery really was the quick and easy bit.  I’m happy now to give it the full 12 months before I make a judgement on my chest.  My chest isn’t perfect but I can wear what I like now and I am ok about taking my top off and walking around the garden, which is something I wouldn’t have done 6 months ago.  In fact I wouldn’t have walked around the house with my top off in case anyone would see me.

All the best to you.

TTFI

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024