Author Topic: Revision question / problem / dilemma  (Read 4830 times)

Offline neato

• Posting Member
If this isn't the right place, please move it.

This is a REAL long one...

I'm trying to get some other opinions, I've already talked to the old lady and the dad about it, but you know, family will tell you whatever--most of the time--and I want to make sure my head's straight before I make any kind of deal out of it.

First, I had surgery with one of the big names that people here recommend.  The price tag was a solid three times what I see most of the other surgeries go for (and three times the other three other quotes I got).  My case was medium to severe, but not like 'lost 200 lbs severe' with just pouches of skin that sagged down to my stomach.  One was just bigger than the other and hung a bit, while the other was just a 'pyramid', no hanging or sagging.  Overall it was pretty crummy and bothered me a lot.

My logic was: if all these other people are paying X amount for stuff that doesn't seem half as bad as mine, and the other quotes I got were a third the price, then maybe the first three surgeons I saw missed something; that and the doc I went with came highly recommended here and 'in real life' (and in fact I'd still recommend him, for now).

The second part was that I could afford it, I mean, sure it was a lot, but I figure it's an investment in myself that, assuming I keep myself up, is never going to go away and the happiness I'll derive from my investment far outweighs saving a few grand.  I was hedging my bets by paying more and going with a surgeon that's got a good reputation, rather than go with the cheaper surgery and possibly being disappointed, and having to go back multiple times.

So now that that's out of the way, here's my problem:  I'm five months post op and I saw the doc yesterday and he and I agreed on a couple things that needed to be done.  First, on the right (non hanging, pyramid type side) he says he took out too much fat. I have a crease right below the nipple, it's prominent when I flex and we both feel it needs attention, he said it was an easy and quick fix, which I believe.  The second is the side that was originally hanging.  Unfortunately, there's still hanging skin that makes it look a little gruesome when I'm not flexing (flexing it looks find since it pulls the skin up).  He said that there was loose skin and it didn't look optimal and it needed to be taken care of. (exact words)  The problem is we aren't seeing eye to eye on whether or not the hanging skin is a whole new procedure, or a revision of the previous surgery (covered under his original fee).

When we spoke about it yesterday I was told that he would correct the crease on the right side, waiving the surgeon's fee as per his policy, but I was responsible for the fee on the left to eliminate any excess skin.  The reason was that this was a different technique he's going to use this time as opposed to the original.  This is our point of contention.  When I had my original surgery I paid for a breast lift as part of the whole procedure as a line item ("mastopexy: lifting the breasts by removing excess skin") as a separate item than gland excision, lipo was also listed separately.  I asked why he couldn't remove the excess skin before and he just said that it wouldn't have worked and so I asked him why I was charged the first time.  He told me this one would be more extensive.  I left it at that, I'm no surgeon and I'm not going to argue over something in the heat of the moment with my shirt off, I do that enough with the old lady and it's a recipe for disaster.

So today I got the quote from coordinator and the surgeon's fee is $2500 for the lift, which is listed as the same thing "removing excess skin."  The next line is the fat transfer and getting rid of the crease where he admittedly took too much out, that's zero, as he said it would be. Then another $1500 for OR/Anesthesia fees, which I have no issue with.

This is my dilemma... I don't know what exactly to do here... I don't think my expectations were unreasonable, admittedly nor did the doctor, as per his own words so I don't believe this is a case of that.  This isn't directly a form of "buyer's remorse" since I'd drop the original amount again in a heartbeat to get rid of my chest.  I'm just puzzled at the possibility of having to pay another $2500 to take care of something that I believe he should have taken care of in the first place (he did bill me for it).

I'm not an idiot, I'm educated, I run my own multi-national medium size business, I consider myself a reasonable human being. I'm not even angry or upset, I'm just kind of clueless on how to handle this because I'm used to dealing in a tangible customer-service business world.  I've only had one other surgery (which, at the time, was medically necessary), and I'm still alive, it obviously worked which upped my satisfaction to near 100%.  I don't know if I'm being taken for a ride or what.

Being that my main field is statistics it just got me thinking, even if I had gone with the cheaper surgeon (who was also recommended) I could have potentially had three surgeries at full original price.  Odds are, after two I would have been good to go... and even if it took a third (or fourth if the current estimate sticks) what are the odds I'd be in worse shape than I am now?  Not that I'm Frankenchest (good 'ole family nicknames) by any means... but I think yall get what I'm saying.  That's obviously an aside and just something I thought about after I got the latest quote.

My question is, what are some opinions on how I should handle this?

I of course have a call in right now and I just plan on telling whomever I speak to that I don't agree and I feel like the surgeon's fee should be waived since it was something he should have, and theoretically did, take care of on the first round.  It's not prudent to bring up other's prices I don't think so I'm staying away from that.  Any other advice is appreciated and welcomed.

The second option, if I'm denied, is just cut bait and check with another surgeon for the correction. I'd imagine their fee is comparable but what do I have to lose?  If I go with the same surgeon again, who knows, I could end up back there with something else that's not covered.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I guess it depends on what the original agreement was on how revisions are handled.  My surgery was $3850.00 and the revision agreement was for me to pay for the anesthesia and facility (total of $450.00).  I'm having my revision on Friday to remove some more fat from below my areolas and resize my right areola just a tad smaller to match the other one.  To his word, I'm paying $450. 

I think you should call the PS's office and ask to have the PS return your call at a convenient time.  Discuss the matter in person with the PS and not with the first person who answers.  If that multinational business you run has any employees, then you realize the chances that your feelings would be relayed correctly by the first person who answers the phone.   ::)

If you don't like what the PS says or think he's pulling your chain, then it wouldn't hurt to check out some other PS's.  You may pay another 2 or 3 grand, but it may be worth that to you.  For me it would really depend on how much confidence I had in his ability to get it right this time.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline neato

• Posting Member
I wasn't clear, when I said "I have a call in" I meant to the patient coordinator.  I'm not going to just *anyone*, I do know better than that... hehe.  I attempt the "CS chain of command" first though since the coordinator is the one who sent me the newest quote.

The agreement was the standard 'surgeon's fees are waived patient handles OR/Anes.'

The problem I think it falls under revision, he doesn't. It's just one of those situations that's completely subjective.  Expectations aren't really something you can quantify precisely in something like cosmetic surgery. But then again... I mentioned he acknowledged that my expectations weren't unreasonable (during the consult and through each follow-up) even yesterday so that's why I don't think it's a case of that.

Offline neato

• Posting Member
I thought I'd just update this topic...

I talked to the surgeon yesterday for the first time since I called (conflicting schedules and lots of phone tag).

We talked about what I said in my original post, plus all the stuff that was in the original paperwork.  He first explained his side of things, then I explained mine and how I felt what I was told and the paperwork I was given was a little misleading.

I told him that I understood where he was coming from (that they're two different surgeries etc) and he said he understood where I could have been lead to think what I do/did.  Then he said he'd get back to me.

10 minutes later I get a call from the coordinator telling me that he'll waive all fees except the OR/Anesthesia (as per the original agreement).

So, this episode ends amicably and I get the revision for *almost* free.  I'm glad it worked out, it just maintains the good feeling I had toward him in the beginning.

Offline Mr_Nip

I'm glad to hear that it seems to be working out now.  A little open and honest communication goes a long way, doesn't it?    :)

Offline Mr_Nip

and then he woke up with no arms or legs

Dude, that was sooooo cold.   :P

Offline outertrial

lmao!

No seriously, glad you got it sorted.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024