Author Topic: Steps to take for attempting insurance coverage?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline DreDay

Hello,
      I am looking to have surgery for my gynecomastia, but I have heard that some people have been able to get their medical insurance to cover it. Is anyone familiar with the steps I would need to take in order to potentially have my insurance cover it? Also does anyone know of any good surgeons in South Florida that would be willing to help with this endeavor? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A lot depends upon the specific language used in your policy.

Some policies specifically exclude this kind of surgery in one way or another. These are nearly impossible to get around.

Some policies exclude surgery for purely cosmetic reasons but will allow cosmetic surgery to treat some conditions and for purposes of restoration etc. With these, You might be able to make a case for surgery based upon the psychological impact of the condition.

If you are in an insurance plan where the cost was a major factor in policy selection, cosmetic surgery has probably been ruled out.

Conversely some very high dollar plans will give you very little arguement.

Unfortunately, cost is usually a major factor in policy selection and the only way that costs can be kept low is to severely limit access to elective surgery as much as possible.

The first step is a thorough reading of your policy.
Grandpa Dan

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
A lot of insurance companies see it as cosmetic surgery which technically it is unless its causing you discomfort etc etc. Their is still a good chance you can get covered but the more it becomes known to the public the less likely Insurance Companies will cover it in the future.

Offline Ethanel

Hi,
Its really sad to read about you.
My thoughts are with you and may you recover soon.
Thanks

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024