Author Topic: What exactly is a GP? And how can i get a note from them for my surgery?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline seeking_relief

• Posting Member
The whole doctors note after surgery about limited heavy lifting for when i go back to work has really been concerning me, in fears of coworkers finding out about it. A friend on here told me about getting a note from a GP that would just say "limited lifting capacity due to injury" on it. Is a GP a General Physician or a General Practioner? How about do i do this? Do i just get the doctors note from my consultation with my PS about my gynecomastia surgery, and give that to the GP, who then writes me a new doctors note saying limited lifting due to injury? Has anyone else tried this? Please helppp!?  :-\

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
GP can stand for either General Physician or a General Practioner,  basically the same thing.  The surgeon who actually does the surgery can just write you the note, your GP really doesn't have to get involved.  My boss had no problem taking a note that was faxed in from the office where my surgery was done.  My note just said "Please excuse _______________ from work on (date) to (date) due to surgery."  That's it.  Your boss doesn't need to know anything else. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:13:49 PM by Twin Peaks »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
If you get a note from your PS then his/her info will be at the top of the note paper. True, you don't have to get your GP (family doctor) involved, however, under the circumstances, I'm thinking that a note from your GP would be better than a note from a Plastic Surgeon. If one is 'paranoid' about people finding out that you had surgery done by a Plastic Surgeon. And I'm fairly certain that is the case here...

All ya gotta do is to go to your GP after your surgery and explain the situation about how you would like to keep your gyne surgery very discrete. While it's true that your employer does not have the right to know the details about the reasons and why-for's about any absenteeism and/or limited work capacity, you know how people can sometimes gossip. Even though they are not supposed to legally...

"Hey, did you know that (your name here) had surgery by a Plastic Surgeon... I wonder what he had done." Pretty soon your whole work knows and people are firing all kinds of questions at you...

Sure, this sounds a tad extreme... but hey, it could happen. So imo, to eliminate the possibility of any potential awkward situations at work, a note from a GP would be best... ;)

Just my .02  :)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline seeking_relief

• Posting Member
Thank you so much for your 2 cents GB, it actually gave me a more realistic idea, i mean its kind of what i expected, but now i have a more real idea of what could happen. This was very insightful and helpful for me, especially coming from someone experienced in this whole situation, its very much appreciated. Thank you so much GB!  :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024