Author Topic: 1 week post op. need garment advice.  (Read 4032 times)

Offline whoarollins64

Hello,

I've had gynecomastia since age 13. Im 18 now and a month from attending college. I finally got my surgery done a few days ago.  I'm the kinda guy that needs to go outside and do stuff. My doctor gave me this compression garment with gauze and pads underneath it that is kind of like an elastic sash that goes around just my chest.  Obviously, it an be seen with a shirt on. I was wondering when i should purchase one similar to under armor that is less visible when wearing normal clothing.  I am aware that the longer i wear the garment the better the healing, but are there alternatives to this bulky dressing that can still provide the same compression? If so, when should i consider wearing one, where should i buy it from, and what size should i get? I am 6' 4" 198 lbs and a size 36 waist.  I want to find a solution as soon as possible so i dont have to experience my first few weeks of college with a huge compression vest protruding from beneath my shirt.

thank you so much

whoarollins

Offline booty_frijoles

• Posting Member
Right there with you man, just started college and I've just now started to talk about getting it fixed, and by talk i mean talk on here. I haven't told anyone face to face about my problem and it sucks pretty bad cuz now i'll probably have to wait till be get off for winter break to get my surgery done probably.

I got a question for you though, did insurance cover any of it?

and how'd you tell your parents abt it?

Offline whoarollins64

well since the surgery is elective, it most likely will not be covered by insurance. it cost me 3k for doctors fees and 2k for hospital/anasthethic fees. well my brother had this before me for about 2 months. the tissue was very minimal and he is much skinnier than me so there was barely any fatty tissue besides the gland. my mom noticed it and they went to an endocrinologist and he said it would go away, as it did. so when i got it, i waited a year for it to go away. it got bigger. then i waited another year till i was 15. got even bigger! so then i told my parents and they took me to an endocrinologist and he said that it will eventually go away and if for some reason it doesnt then i should wait till age 18 to get surgery. the past 5 years have been the most frustrating years of my life.  if i could give any advice, it would be to not deal with it by yourself. fortunately you have found this site, but nothing is better than talking about it to a best friend or to your parents.  its pretty embarrassing to talk about it, but its better than bottling it up inside and being completely insecure.  finally i found this guy in encino named Dr. Sanders who did my surgery.  if you really are considering getting the surgery done then yea i would set up a consultation way in advance and tell your doctor you want to get it done as soon as your winter break starts.  the surgery is casual but having to wear the garment so far is straight up brutal. so you want as much recovery time as possible.  good luck bro.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024