Author Topic: Question for the Doc's  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Just wondered if any of you have ever done Lipo / Excision on anybody with a pacemaker???

My pm is in the left shoulder, normal location with the leads going down the veins to the heart.

I am planning surgery in the UK, and Dr. Karidis is waiting on a reply from my cardiologist to confirm all will be OK to proceed. He has spoke to a cardiologist in his own hospital and he does not see a problem.

The waiting is driving me nuts, as I am desperate to get this arranged I was just wondering if any of you have experience in this area ????

Any response good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Took the plunge and had consultation with Dr. Karidis 7th January 2009.
Surgery 26th February 2009.
Just wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17004.0

DrBermant

Just wondered if any of you have ever done Lipo / Excision on anybody with a pacemaker???

My pm is in the left shoulder, normal location with the leads going down the veins to the heart.

I am planning surgery in the UK, and Dr. Karidis is waiting on a reply from my cardiologist to confirm all will be OK to proceed. He has spoke to a cardiologist in his own hospital and he does not see a problem.

The waiting is driving me nuts, as I am desperate to get this arranged I was just wondering if any of you have experience in this area ????

Any response good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, I have.  I perform such cases in the hospital where additional support for any possible pacemaker issues is easier.  The issue with elective surgery on a pacemaker patient is heart arrhythmia or irregular beat.  The Tumescent technique uses a good deal of adrenaline.  This can be a factor for someone who has potential heart rhythm issues.  Clearance is always best from the doctor most familiar with the problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Thanks Dr B, at least you have put my mind at ease as I now know it is possible.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes -- gyne surgery can be done on patients such as yourself -- but with caution and in a hospital for utmost safety.

The standard pacemaker is placed in a pocket under the skin near the collarbone -- with wires that enter a large adjacent vein and proceed to the heart -- where they abut against a wall of the heart and pace the heart with tiny electrical discharges.

Gyne surgery is also performed under the skin of the chest -- but usually at a significant distance away from the collarbone pocket.  It should be able to be done safely if performed by an experienced gyne surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Thanks Dr Jacobs, I hope to use Dr. Karidis in London, uk he has carried out over 500 gyne cases.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Jock

Good luck with your surgery -- I have heard many good things about Dr. Karidis.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Thanks Dr B, at least you have put my mind at ease as I now know it is possible.

You are welcome!

Micheal Bermant, MD

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
I got a copy of the letter from my Cardio, sounds like he is suggesting an xray to prove none of the leads have migrated from where they should be. Will here from Mr K on Monday, so fingers crossed this can proceed.

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Hi Docs,

One thing my cardio noted was that Diothermy should not be used in the area near my pm, Is this something that is likely to be used in Lipo and gland excision????

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If lio only is done, then no diathermy is used. If open excision is done, then diathermy (a coagulating device) may be required to stop any bleeding vessels.  There are different types of coagulating devices, however, and it is possible that a "bi-polar" coagulator may be of use.  This is best discussed with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Thanks Doc's, your info was quick and helpful, I need to have an x-ray the day before, and I have it all arranged for the 26th February.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024